Scooter
Community

Problems starting Honda Scoopy 50cc

Last post 04-28-2009 03:55 PM by anak-honda. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2009 04:37 PM

Problems starting Honda Scoopy 50cc

Hi guys,

not sure if anyone can help, but I have a Honda Scoopy 50cc scooter that has only done 500kms, but has been sitting gathering dust for a year or so. I have charged the battery, changed the spark plug and added newer fuel, but unless I stick fuel directly into the carby, it wont crank over.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to drain all the fuel and get some premium and try that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something I might be missing?

---
    Wifey owns Honda Scoopy 50cc
    I ride Honda CBR murdercycle
    Filed under: , ,
  • 04-21-2009 05:22 PM In reply to

Re: Problems starting Honda Scoopy 50cc

drain it. that fuel (a year old) would be really off by now.

Vespa PX200 "Killer Wasp" - now on a street near you
  • 04-21-2009 05:28 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 836

There is a fuel shutoff valve on the bottom of the tank that stops fuel flow when the engine is not running.

At a guess while the scooter was in storage the fuel evaporated from the carby and fuel lines.  Now you are trying to start it again the fuel is slowly flowing down to the carby but not fast enough to fill the carby and start the engine.

You are probably close to starting if you cranked it for about 1 minute. 

Three posibilities, keep cranking, keep adding fuel to the inlet to keep it kicking over until the carby gets fuel or take the vacuum line off the carby and suck on it for a while to let the fuel flow down to the carby.

Either way you should be close to it starting assuming its just the fuel shortage in the carby.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 04-21-2009 08:27 PM In reply to

INMA:
    suck on it for a while to let the fuel flow down to the carby.

Is that safe to breathe in petrol fumes? I had to transfer petrol to/from a container by sucking thru a tube for several seconds I felt "bad" afterwards inhaling the fumes.

• 04-21-2009 09:47 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

The scoopy runs a #35 pilot jet. Jets this small get blocked real easy. Petrol over time when left standing turns to goo and the goo will be blocking the pilot jet and stopping the scooter from running. Take the carb off strip it down and clean it out. It's never going to run right until you do this.

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 04-21-2009 09:53 PM In reply to

Could also be varnish like residue left in carb after petrol evaporating carb cleaner could fix or strip and clean carb also are you getting a good spark at spark plug

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-21-2009 10:03 PM In reply to

thanks guys, I will get some carb cleaner tomorrow and clean it out as well as drain the fuel and make sure their is no blockages between the tank and carby.

appreciate the replies. :)

---
  • 04-28-2009 02:28 PM In reply to

well i found the screw to drain the carby, did that.

Pulled the whole carby off and took off the top, pulled out the spring and needle and sprayed the whole thing liberally with carby cleaner.

changed the spark plug, refilled the coolant (as it all drained when i took the carby off). Also drained the tank and put in fresh fuel.

Still no joy!

It's like it wants to kick over, but just cant get there. It will splutter for about a second, then nothing. Any other ideas?

---
  • 04-28-2009 02:37 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

anak-honda:

Pulled the whole carby off and took off the top, pulled out the spring and needle and sprayed the whole thing liberally with carby cleaner.

You have to take the bottom of the carb off, remove all the jets and clean them out properly. Having a blast of carb clean squirted in the top wont do very much at all.

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 04-28-2009 03:55 PM In reply to

thanks heaps for that, got it started now and idling.

just have to get the idle right, it doesnt seem to want to come back to idle after i rev it.

---
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au