Scooter
Community

Looking for new scooter - sym citycom 300i or Kymco Ego 250

Last post 05-01-2009 03:36 PM by steve@ace. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2009 07:30 PM

Looking for new scooter - sym citycom 300i or Kymco Ego 250

I currently own a VS 125 - and love that it had a decent tyre size, is easy to ride, and manageable weight wise for me (hate the squealing rear brake).  However I'm looking to upgrade to something bigger because whilst I do mostly city driving I'd like to be able to go on the freeway on the rare occasion and I struggled to get my VS 125 to 100km the one time that I did go on the freeway!!  (am 60-ish kg)

I wandered through my scooter shop today and liked the look of the sym citycom 300i and the Kymco Ego 250.  I can't find very much at all on the web about the kymco.. but found that the 300i won 2nd place in scooter of the year 2008 (from whatever site I stumbled across :)).

I've ruled out the Honda 300 (can't recall the model) as its about 9k and apparently doesn't come with ABS in Australia.  Spending about the 6k mark would be ideal.

Anyone got any thoughts on these bikes or know about their top speed?  Or how they compare to the VS 125??   Thanks :)

• 04-22-2009 08:55 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Re: Looking for new scooter - sym citycom 300i or Kymco Ego 250

I would go the Citycom out of the two.  The Ego is also known as the Bug Hawk 250.  But if I was spending that sort of money I would be looking at the Derbi Rumbla 250 or the Aprilia SportsCity 250 (or maybe even the Cube 300).

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 04-22-2009 10:36 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Where are you based?

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-22-2009 10:55 PM In reply to

OK thanks - will have a look.

Based in Melbourne

• 04-22-2009 11:14 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

I quite liked the eco when I was test riding to buy a 250. Some one who owned one later told me they were like a stationwagon but I thought they were quite good bang for your buck. One mechanic told me they were easy to work on and that they heavily restricted and had plenty of potential to hot up, They are carbied not fuel injected and can get thirsty. I ended up buying a demonstrator Vespa 250 GTS which has worked out fine.

I test rode the  Honda SH300 yesterday and are selling for $9750 on road. I must say that they are seriously red hot and definately 1/3 better than any $6000 scooter. In fact it was miles ahead of any other scooter that Ive ever ridden. The ABS brakes is a non issue as it had fantastic braking.

I dont know how you feel about demonstrators but you can sometimes get great deals ($1000 or more) on a better quality scooter with only a few hundred ks on the clock. The reason I asked you where you were based coz I know a Piaggio Beverly demo in Sydney for $6999 on the road which I reckon is a really deal on a really good scooter.

Anyway good luck with it, and before you buy take the Honda 300 for a test ride just to see what  real quality feels like.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-23-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

The KYMCO 250 is more comparable to the SYM Firenze 250, the Citicomm is a cut above & the pick of these three.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 04-23-2009 03:52 PM In reply to

Hey Pete. You are very positive about the Honda SH300. Understandbly so. Have you ridden any of the piaggio 300 engined scooters, eg Vespa or Sport City. If so ,how do they compare? Also 16inch wheels versus 12 inch wheels. Any comments?

Looks like we all forget that Polarwarp would like to get away with a $6000 spend. This wipes out the Citycom 300, $6990 plus orc. Also all the quasar 250's are beyond this. So we are left with 200's. Like the HD200 or a Scarabeo 200. Both would be an economical step up from the VS125. And theres cash over, maybe for a new matching helmet. 

• 04-23-2009 04:37 PM In reply to

Yeah after getting excited about looking at those other bikes I came back to the reality that I am a weekday commuter - and will very rarely ride on the weekend, as usually I jump on the back of my bf's boulevard :)  So really don't want to stretch past the $6000.  I considered stretching it to the citycom 300 because it looks like a nice bike... but I doubt I'd be swayed to the $7990 plus orc type bikes.  Whilst they may be better bikes - I think I'll be super happy with a performance improvement over the 125 which hopefully the 200s will have??

My dealer recommended the HD 200 - looks ok on the site though haven't seen it in person yet.. anyone know how these compare with the VS 125?  How does the HD 200 compare with the Bug Hawk/Ego 250 - as thats 5990 plus orc.  The scarebo looks a bit to vespa-ish for my liking (no offence to anyone.. I just like the look of the bolwells - especially my vs 125 :))

Oh the other thing is any better choice for a 5'11 height ?  I think my vs might be a little squishy for me (but it was my first bike.. so didn't really notice :))

Could  do with a snazzy new helmet - hopefully something that will fit under the seat, as my current helmet does fit in the VS 125's seat compartment :(

Thanks for all the opinions!!!

• 04-23-2009 04:40 PM In reply to

16in wheels rock. I have a HD200 and larger wheels were one of its selling points for me (as opposed to 12in on my previous ride, the Agility). I would not go back.

If you can't stretch the budged to Citycom, have a good look at HD200 - there's a lot to like for the price.

• 04-23-2009 05:25 PM In reply to

Last week I visited Peter Stevens in Melbourne.  They are selling the Piaggio X7 (250cc) for $5999 +ORC.  Honda 300 is $7999+ORC.  Worth a look.  Both have longer service intervals than Kymco and Sym.

Happy shopping!

• 04-23-2009 05:40 PM In reply to

Yes but 5,999+orc comes to at least 7.500 on road, doesn't it?

That's why I HATE that base price+orc system. I heard the dealers will soon be forced to quote all prices as on-road only. I hope I heard right, and I can't wait.

• 04-23-2009 06:13 PM In reply to

ferrix:

Yes but 5,999+orc comes to at least 7.500 on road, doesn't it?

That's why I HATE that base price+orc system. I heard the dealers will soon be forced to quote all prices as on-road only. I hope I heard right, and I can't wait.

You heard right.  As an ethical principal, we've always displayed our ride away prices including 12 months rego, and I'm glad to hear that this is the standard that is being adopted.  Its always made our prices seem more expensive than anyone elses, but people know what its going to cost before they enter the shop.  To price otherwise is at best misleading, at worst...

I believe that the rules are to be mandatory from the 25th of May, and personally, I can't wait either.   The question is how quickly the ACCC will actually start to enforce it.  It also means that Allen will have to ensure that dealers make the rideaway price field mandatory on scootersales!

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 04-23-2009 06:21 PM In reply to

OTR is the law going to be Australia wide or just WA on the road price makes a lot more sense also will it apply to cars

• 04-23-2009 06:39 PM In reply to

I understand that it will apply to everything all over Aus.  Actually the main reason that its taking place is because of the air/travel industry who were advertising flights cheap/free but then customers were getting stung with airport taxes, fuel levys etc.  My missus phoned one up recently because they were travelling that accompanying kids flew free.  Free except for about $1,000 each kid for taxes etc.  Free? My ***.  When my missus told the travel agent that their adverts were misleading, the travel agents response was that the flights were nearly all sold out.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 04-23-2009 07:27 PM In reply to

Isn't ORC just the cost of Rego (not sure if it differs between states - but in Vic...) - which would be like $600 odd - not $1500 odd??

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au