Scooter
Community

SH150, Beo 200, Kymco 200

Last post 05-26-2009 01:40 PM by allen. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-25-2009 01:35 PM

• Nath
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Posts 37

SH150, Beo 200, Kymco 200

Has anyone had any experience comparing these 3 scoots or own 1 of them. My g/f is looking at getting her first scoot and these are on her short list. One of her main criteria is good freeway capability for her trips to and from work and so we can go for good rides together. Most test rides are in suburbs and dont really involve freeways and not long stints when they do. At freeway speeds we need a machine that has plenty left for overtaking and that sort of stuff. Dont want to poor scoot the be working its guts out.

Any advice experience opinions are appreciated

cheers

Fuoco 500ie ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhh ....... Pug Jetforce 125, feel the force, out of action
  • 05-25-2009 01:49 PM In reply to

Re: SH150, Beo 200, Kymco 200

Having the Beo 200, I'm a bit biased, and would say go with the Beo.  It's great at highway speeds all day, and around the city too.  Big wheels certainly help, and you're pretty much getting 250 class performance.

I've done long(ish) freeway rides on the Beo, and have no dramas at all - even overtaking at high(ish) speeds.

Get your g/f to chuck her bum on the seat of a Beo - if she likes it, get her to chuck her money down too.  She won't regret it!

Used to have a Aprilia Scarabeo 200 with GPR pipe, Conti tyres, Malossi variator, stebel horn, custom paint and polished rims....oh yea baby!!

Also used to have a PMX Naked, Daelim S1 and a kawasaki er6-n for those times when I felt like a change.

Now just left with a Ducati Monster 696+ but still a scooterist at heart and will most likely end up back on a scoot at some point again!
  • 05-25-2009 01:55 PM In reply to

Drop the KMYCO 200 off its not in the same league in terms of performance the 163cc air cooled 2 valve engine is only good for 8.5kw, Honda SH150i is 11.6kw from liquid cooled EFI 153cc engine but only 12 month warranty & drum rear brake. Aprilia Scarabeo 125cc is 11.2kw,  Scarabeo 200 (180cc) is 14.2kw with DOHC 4 valve engine, disc brakes front & rear plus 2 year warranty.

SH150 is more a competitor to the Scarabeo 125 than Scarabeo 200. Honda 150 is $200 more than Scarabeo 200 & $700 more than Scarabeo 125 which might expain the success of the new model Scarabeo.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 05-25-2009 02:41 PM In reply to

Another options is the SYM HD200 which is a great scooter and certainly worth a look. Twin disc brake and liquid cooled engine, all with a 4 year warranty. It is similar money to the Scabby but you get more cc's to poke your stick at! Smile

• 05-25-2009 02:47 PM In reply to

Or there is always the HD200, will 11.2 killerwasps, liquid cooled, four valve, four year warranty and change from $6000 on the road...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 05-25-2009 03:20 PM In reply to

benitoscooterboy:
    Twin disc brake and liquid cooled engine, all with a 4 year warranty. It is similar money to the Scabby but you get more cc's to poke your stick at! Smile

What do you mean more CC's? last time I looked the HD200 was 171cc producing 11.2kw - similar to Scarabeo 125, less than 150 Honda & no where near the 200 (180cc) Scarabeo, it has no oil filter either.

As for brakes I don't get why SYM put a twin piston brake caliper on the rear & only a single piston brake caliper on the front when most of your braking is done on the front. Scarabeo has a triple piston caliper on the front & twin piston caliper on the rear. The way it should be.

HD was a great class leading scooter until the new Aprilia Scarabeo & Honda SH arrived. It's showing its age a little now

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 05-25-2009 03:41 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:
    What do you mean more CC's? last time I looked the HD200 was 171cc producing 11.2kw - similar to Scarabeo 125, less than 150 Honda & no where near the 200 (180cc) Scarabeo, it has no oil filter either.

Sorry I should have clarified that I was revering to the Scabby125 not the 200cc.

Nath, I suppose the important thing is what your girlfriend thinks how the bikes looks and rides. If you tell her that is has x number of kw's and it has super dooper brakes but everything on the market meets Australian Standards and she might not care less. Get her to sit on a few and take them for a ride and compare.

There are lots of things to consider: How far will she ride everyday, is she comfy with large wheels - higher seat height, is a 4 year warranty more attractive than 2, styling, and the budget.

Hope this helps.

• 05-25-2009 03:45 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Im going to sell my GTS250ie, and buy an aprilia.

DOZER.
  • 05-25-2009 03:48 PM In reply to

• Nath
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2008
    • Posts 37

Thanks everyone for your responses. Basically we are looking at a premium scooter, while there are some great value for money products out there and some scootes that are just cheap ***, we really are looking at the top end of the range. There are 2 reasons the Kymco was on the list, 1/ My g/f likes the look of it 2/ Whereever possible I try to deal with scooterama here in melb. There are 3 places down here I am happy to deal with, Scooterama, Scootergarage and Scooter Market. Over the years I have been into or dealt with in some way most of the scooter dealers down here and we want to spend our $$ with people who have done the right thing and have been good to deal with.

So........... Sym, we went in and had a look at the HD200, she doesnt like it and the dealer was a forkhead. His sales pitch was, dont buy Italian they are crap and unreliable. When this was questioned and I informed him that I am a proud owner of a gilera fuoco he back peddled saying his daily ride is a Moto Morini!!!!!!!!! I mean WTF is that all about, just tell us what is good about what you sell !!! Anyways............ when looking at specs etc for the scooters machines like Honda's Aprilias Piaggios Derbis etc always out perform the similar budget alternative from the cheaper manufacturers. So it seems to me the extra $$ is worth it if it can be afforded.

Fuoco 500ie ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhh ....... Pug Jetforce 125, feel the force, out of action
  • 05-25-2009 03:51 PM In reply to

I have owned the SYM HD200 that as Scooter HQ points out beats the Kymco 150 in the performance stakes. But given your high speed requirements I would only look at the Honda SH150 and the Scarabeo 200. I know of a country rider who owns the Honda SH150  and she loves it. Country riding is faster than sub/urban city stuff. And the scooter must handle well at high speeds. But if money is not an issue check out the Honda SH300. I can vouch for it. Great time to buy a new scooter now as well.

• 05-25-2009 03:57 PM In reply to

Hi Nath. Just read your most recent post. Scooterama are good to buy from. I bought my Honda SH300 from Amy just over two weeks ago. It is no comparison to the HD200. Heaps of contrasts though.

• 05-25-2009 04:01 PM In reply to

benitoscooterboy:
    I suppose the important thing is what your girlfriend thinks how the bikes looks and rides. If you tell her that is has x number of kw's and it has super dooper brakes but everything on the market meets Australian Standards and she might not care less. Get her to sit on a few and take them for a ride and compare.

Spot on...

For many girls, it's all about looks, colour and comfort- regardless of anything else.

Guys on the other hand like to talk specs, always look at the dash to see how fast it will go, want to know how much more power you'll get from premium etc etc.

When it comes to buying, girls like to enjoy the experience, be involved, like to know they're being looked after. Girls like to share the excitement too, and appreciate delivery. Guys beat their chests, fold their arms, get grumpy, kick tyres and rub their bums on the wall like a big hairy silverback on heat. It's funny to watch. Even funnier when excited young girls bring their dads in for approval. It's half sqealing for joy, half beating chests and grunting...Big Smile

My point being the same as benitoscooterboy- what we discuss here might be of no relevance to the girl riding the scoot at the end of the day. That's the joy of scootin'...

• 05-25-2009 04:46 PM In reply to

benitoscooterboy:
    If you tell her that is has x number of kw's and it has super dooper brakes but everything on the market meets Australian Standards and she might not care less. Get her to sit on a few and take them for a ride and compare.

While many girls don't care too much for raw statistics they do want to know this stuff, just put it in context. Things like brakes are a safety feature eg; the better 3 piston front brake caliper & larger disc gives more braking power making the scooter safer. Engine technology is about performance, economy, longevity & servicing. These are standard running costs most women take into account.

the scooter shop:

For many girls, it's all about looks, colour and comfort- regardless of anything else.

If you do your research (like the car industry has) you'll find women have quite a bit of input into motor vehicle purchases. Might just be the Gold Coast but most of the ladies that come through know their stuff or are well on the way. 

Don't get me wrong looks are important, if they don't like it its not on the list no matter how good it is technically. Now a balance of looks & technology...

www.scooterhq.com.au

• 05-25-2009 05:03 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:
    If you do your research (like the car industry has) you'll find women have quite a bit of input into motor vehicle purchases. Might just be the Gold Coast but most of the ladies that come through know their stuff or are well on the way. 

hehehe...Smile I wasn't implying that the ladies don't know their stuff, ya dag... But there is no doubt the Goldcoast market is different to the Tassie market. Nationwide it's 60% guys buying scoots, 40% girls, but down here it is closer to 65% girls, 35% guys... I was generalising from my 11 years retail experience, not making assumptions. I must admit, I was expecting some sort of comment after my statement, but I didn't expect it from Brendo!!Big Smile

I know exactly how much the QLD girls know about scoots- a QLD girl bought a Mio off me and I shipped it up after the local dealers told her (quote) "Mio's are no longer available because the supplier is waiting for the new Classic to arrive". She was well informed and realised she was getting a bum-steer from the local guys...Smile

• 05-25-2009 07:04 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Scooter HQ:

the scooter shop:

Don't speak to my wife about looks, it is what under the hood that gets her going.  Man, she even graphs the different kW/Nm outputs of each engine to compare.  Looks and colour are about 5th or 6th on the list.  You should see her score rating and spreadsheets that she does.  Typical Physics/Maths nerd.  All this before she puts her bum on a seat or steps into a showroom.  The sales guys don't even have a chance.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au