Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

About bloody time!

Last post 05-29-2009 07:13 PM by steve@ace. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2009 01:57 PM

About bloody time!

I'm not sure how many people will have noticed it, but from Monday 25th May, the new legislation on single price advertising has been introduced.  This was specifically intended to combat the growth in misleading price advertising in the travel industry on air-fares, but is equally applicable to the vehicle industry where traditionally only vehicle prices are advertised.

This legislation means that prices that you see on adverts, on websites, and even in showrooms must show the total rideaway price for any new vehicle, including dealer delivery and govt charges with 12 months registration.   Used vehicles should be advertised with the final price that the consumer should expect to pay the dealer so won't include rego transfer and stamp duty.

Many players in the vehicle industry have been griping about it because at a national or state level it is now impossible to show a single price for a vehicle due to state differences in registration and stamp duty costs, and also because different dealers charge different dealer delivery charges.  (There have been some exemptions granted for some Australia-wide portal-type sites which simply can't show all the info).   But otherwise, what is displayed is what the final price should be.

We are personally delighted that this legislation is finally here because its how we've been doing business for the last two years, and we know some other dealers who will be equally please.  It means that the consumer can now accurately compare prices between retailers, without being duped by retailers showing lowered vehicle prices but bumping up the dealer delivery to cover it.  You should now know the price at the bottom of the contract BEFORE you sit down to write it up. The benefit to the industry should be immense as hopefully this upfront price transparency will help consumers realise that not all dealers are trying to rort them with extra unknown costs.

Of course the big test will be whether the ACCC will actually enforce this legislation, and to some extent that will depend on consumers reporting to the ACCC where retailers aren't following the legislation.    But it's about bloody time!

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 02:02 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Re: About bloody time!

I agree, and all these alterations to prices on peoples flash banners..... I'm looking at an upgrade already... hehehehehe. (kidding Allen...)

DOZER.
  • 05-27-2009 02:10 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

I agree, no more hidden costs, and you know exactly what you are paying with out the ' add this, and this, and this' and then having your scooter cost you another $1000 more than you expected. 

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-27-2009 02:13 PM In reply to

dozer.:

I agree, and all these alterations to prices on peoples flash banners..... I'm looking at an upgrade already... hehehehehe. (kidding Allen...)

Silver linings all round, eh!  The Scooters, Scooters ad certainly needs to change!!   

Did you do the banner ad for the Citycomm?  If so you might want to remove the reference to 300cc.  Or change it to 264ccWink

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 02:14 PM In reply to

Will certainly help consumers saves ringing around asking for ride away prices to compare . will dealers show there lowest drive/ride away prices or will it still be negotiable

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-27-2009 02:22 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

steve@ace:
    Did you do the banner ad for the Citycomm?  If so you might want to remove the reference to 300cc.  Or change it to 264ccWink

No, SYM dont use me for some reason... They have their own creative team somewhere.... I wish I could do their stuff, but perhaps get it done in china, with the orbits?

DOZER.
  • 05-27-2009 02:23 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Will certainly help consumers saves ringing around asking for ride away prices to compare . will dealers show there lowest drive/ride away prices or will it still be negotiable

Who knows how they will advertise (although in reality no differently from now, unless they were purposefully being duplicitous), but final price will still be negotiable. A published price is essentially just a quoted offer to sell.

To be honest, I think that many Australians have an over-obsession with price to the detriment of product quality and customer service.   A focus on value rather than price generally results in a superior outcome. 

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 02:25 PM In reply to

steve@ace:
    Did you do the banner ad for the Citycomm?  If so you might want to remove the reference to 300cc.  Or change it to 264cc

Ya can't do that Steve... GTS278 Super just doesn't sound right... Or is it "super" because it's got 14cc over a Citycom??

Anyway, I too love the new rules. We have only ever advertised the full ride away price, with 12 months rego, and now our competitors will hopefully be forced to do the same. Now we just need the ACCC to take their balls out of their back pocket, and put them on...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 02:39 PM In reply to

We've disclosed rideaway price from day dot. I have no idea why everyone doesn't.

Nothing worse than going to buy something you've researched & finding out its outside the allocated budget. It is a bit confusing with different on roads from state to state.

At least the practice of discounting the RRP & adding it on to Pre delivery will go (That's firmly directed at someone too)  Zip it!

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 05-27-2009 02:43 PM In reply to

the scooter shop:
    Ya can't do that Steve... GTS278 Super just doesn't sound right... Or is it "super" because it's got 14cc over a Citycom??

Cam, as you know there's a big difference between being in the 300 class, and saying 300cc.   But at least 278 is nearer to 300 than 250 Wink 

the scooter shop:
    Anyway, I too love the new rules. We have only ever advertised the full ride away price, with 12 months rego, and now our competitors will hopefully be forced to do the same. Now we just need the ACCC to take their balls out of their back pocket, and put them on...

I know you do Big Smile  

But the ACCC actually enforcing will be the big test!!  Hopefully some civic-minded consumers will do the right thing and report them.  They don't seem to pay any attention whatsoever if a business or an organisation does.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 02:46 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

At least the practice of discounting the RRP & adding it on to Pre delivery will go (That's firmly directed at someone too)  Zip it!

Yeah, that's the real cheeky one.  Its hard for the customer to walk away when you are doing the paperwork, as they don't want to appear naive, and these operators know that and capitalise on it.  But what they don't realise is that immediately the customer/dealer relationship is off to the worst possible start.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 03:04 PM In reply to

steve@ace:
    But what they don't realise is that immediately the customer/dealer relationship is off to the worst possible start

To some the sale of a scoot is the end of the relationship not the beginning.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 05-27-2009 03:23 PM In reply to

Scooter HQ:

To some the sale of a scoot is the end of the relationship not the beginning.

Isn't that the truth!  I've noted this particularly with a couple of the bike dealers over here.  Happy to sell the scooter, but as soon as servicing (or warranty work) required, then suddenly there's a 6 week waiting period.    And the worst of it is the distributors do nothing about it, but its the quickest way to kill the reputation of a brand that I know of.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 05-27-2009 04:02 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Scooter HQ:

We've disclosed rideaway price from day dot. I have no idea why everyone doesn't.

Nothing worse than going to buy something you've researched & finding out its outside the allocated budget. At least the practice of discounting the RRP & adding it on to Pre delivery will go (That's firmly directed at someone too)  Zip it!

This is why people love Scooter HQ, they walk in, and they know exactly what they are getting, warts and all :)  Nothing is hidden.
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 05-27-2009 04:33 PM In reply to

Big Smile If you went for a Beer & asked for 300cc & they gave you 264cc would you be happy [:D or sad Sad]

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au