ADVERTISEMENT

Scooter
Community

Junky 1982 Honda Urban Express 49 cc... help!

Last post 06-12-2009 11:56 PM by pyrah. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2009 11:29 AM

Junky 1982 Honda Urban Express 49 cc... help!

Last weekend I bought two 1982 honda urban expresses for $10 off of a friend of mine who had bought them off the side of the road for $30 about a year ago. One of them is just a pile of parts, and after some work the other is doing alright. So. here's the problem... it takes a /lot/ of work to get it started. Probably about 10-15 minutes of pounding on the kick start and fiddling with the throttle to get it started, and then once it starts, it revs pretty well while on the kickstand, but once I get on it, it doesn't do much more than idle or will rev in little bursts. I've been fiddling with the throttle screw and air screw on the carburetor, and adjusting the oil control screw (there's an "oil" light that comes on once it starts, and I don't know if 'm getting the right mixture of gas and oil). I knew that I was missing some parts, so I found the manual for it online (http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/uexpress/huexpresssm.htm). I'm missing the choke control and the air filter, but I've plugged up the choke lines with some spare bolts to temporarily solve that problem. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong? If I make a further investment on this machine, should it be the choke control, or the air filter?

• 06-09-2009 12:41 PM In reply to

• Blam
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-25-2008
    • Nowhere near you, thank God.
    • Posts 423

Re: Junky 1982 Honda Urban Express 49 cc... help!

What's the fuel flow to the carby like? Could be a blocked fuel line/petcock. Fuel that's been sitting for a while will 'varnish' and block the carby. You might also want to take the cylinder head off and see what's ahppening there as well.
  • 06-10-2009 06:28 AM In reply to

How can I check what I'm getting for fuel flow? Should I just take apart the carburetor and clean it up?
  • 06-12-2009 07:53 AM In reply to

Hey man, thanks a bunch for the advice. I spent the afternoon troubleshooting today, and after cleaning out the fuel line and throttle, I got it to start reliably and after more work on the oil throttle, I got it to go up to 30 mph.
  • 06-12-2009 08:57 PM In reply to

Big Smile What have you got to do to kill them old Honda's Big Smile

An' Ah'll tell thi that fer nowt

• 06-12-2009 09:21 PM In reply to

Right on, they sure are brilliant, I think I'm missing half the parts and it still has a will to live... 8024 miles on the darn thing when I got it
  • 06-12-2009 11:56 PM In reply to

Reminds me of a old Honda CB50J i got when i lived in New Zealand the spark plug was loose in the cylinder so re-taped that to next size up found a plug with same reach and used that . Carb leaked out of overflow so cleaned carb reset float fixed that problem only bad thing on it was a cable disk break on front never much good . I used it for about a year to go to work on could get it up to about 80kph then gave it to the kids to use in the kiwi orchards they even did not manage to kill it    

An' Ah'll tell thi that fer nowt

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au