Scooter
Community

Opinions on Sym Classic 125 vs Mojo 150

Last post 06-11-2009 12:32 PM by Keeper75. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2009 06:17 PM

• JaneG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-10-2009
    • Bicheno, Tasmania
    • Posts 15

Opinions on Sym Classic 125 vs Mojo 150

I'm ready to move on from my scooter number 2, a Sym Retro 50 (which, by the way has been a great little scooter).

I'm looking at the Sym Classic 125 and the Mojo 150 - I like the look of the Classic, though.

Would appreciate some opinions (I have read the threads on the Mojo, but haven't seen anything about the Classic...)

But, I'd really love a Vespa......

• 06-10-2009 06:40 PM In reply to

Re: Opinions on Sym Classic 125 vs Mojo 150

The Classic is still a very new model so there doesn't appear to be many who have test ridden them yet. I found one review of the scooter - http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-2416-sym-classic-50-125.aspx Actually... on second thoughts try searching for the name that the scooter is known by in other countries - Fiddle ii Wink

The only thing I can suggest is that you demand a quote of the on road price inclusive of 12 months registration, stamp duty, dealer delivery to do a real comparison with other scooters.

Also try the Piaggio Fly & Daelim S1.

Stay away from mainland Chinese scooters if you can afford to do so.

Still, if you heart is with Vespa then chat with Steve at Ace Scooters about a secondhand but barely used LX150 that is currently sitting in his showroom.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-10-2009 07:25 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Isn't the piaggio fly built mainland China also? The Mojo will be efi and liquid cooled I believe, but the SYM Classic looks cooler. Personally, I'd go the SYM for looks but Mojo for features.
    DOZER.
  • 06-10-2009 07:37 PM In reply to

yeah, yeah, yeah but as has been raised in here multiple times previously there's a VAST difference in what is produced under the Piaggio banner (the Fly & Zip) using Piaggio's stringent Q& A testing and other "Chinese built" scooters on the market. You know this full well you *** stirrer Stick out tongue

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 06-10-2009 08:21 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Two totally different scooters the Mojo and the Classic, the Mojo has larger wheels and disc brakes front and rear. Fuel Injection and Liquid cooling are also a stand out feature in this model range. Quality at this point has been pretty good with dealers giving me good feedback.

Really your decision may end up coming down to personal taste, seating position and warranty. Check out all these things first and see what you feel most comfortable on. Both are bigger scooters to sit on. 

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 06-10-2009 08:28 PM In reply to

allen:
    Both are bigger scooters to sit on. 

This will equate to you being more visible on the road & the extra weight of the heavier scootr will meanbetter handling windy conditions. Too many people dismiss some scooters as being "too heavy" not realising the benefits of riding a bigger & heavier scooter. The only time you really notice the chunkiness & weight is at slow speed manouvering but most scooters are so well proportioned & balanced that even this isn't really an issue once you adapt to the scooter.

Wanda
  • 06-11-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

• JaneG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-10-2009
    • Bicheno, Tasmania
    • Posts 15

I know.... I get blown all over the road on the Retro. I'm currently about to do my RE license on a motorbike, so know the difference in weight.

I'll have to try a few different scooters when I get my license.... but I must admit that I like the look of the Classic over the Mojo (but, yes, I know, it shouldn't all be about what it looks like... but I can't help it)

• 06-11-2009 11:06 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Scooternut:

allen:
    Both are bigger scooters to sit on. 

This will equate to you being more visible on the road & the extra weight of the heavier scootr will meanbetter handling windy conditions. Too many people dismiss some scooters as being "too heavy" not realising the benefits of riding a bigger & heavier scooter. The only time you really notice the chunkiness & weight is at slow speed manouvering but most scooters are so well proportioned & balanced that even this isn't really an issue once you adapt to the scooter.

Heavier doesn't mean more weight.  As my Scarabeo is about 10kgs more than my previous Sportcity, yet it feels lighter.  Weight distrubition helps with this.  Even the beo 250 was a surprise that it I expected it to feel a lot heavier. 
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 06-11-2009 11:24 AM In reply to

Don't make your mind up till you've tried them all - including the Vespa. They cost more for very good reason!  You might just find that the extra up front investment is actually not that much over time.

When do you have your test?

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 06-11-2009 11:35 AM In reply to

Hello JaneG,

Although I cannot give you a comparison, this is what I've experienced with the SYM Fiddle II 125 (which is the Classic, with 10 inch wheels).  First, it is comfortable with a true seat for two.  By that I mean, two average sized adults can fit without any competition for space.  Second, there is plenty of foot-room for the operator.  The acceleration is good, and the scoot has enough power to hold its speed when one hits an incline.  Fit and Finish is very good.  Control switches are also higher quality.  My Medium Full face helmet fits under the seat with gloves and some assorted nick-nacks.  A nice rear rack is included.  The suspension is good (poised) and absorbs road irregularities well.  Don't let the country of assembly (origin) sway you one way or another (after all the SYM Fiddle II/Classic is assembled on mainland China (as well).  You might want to check out www.justgottascoot.com for a review of the Fiddle II 125.  David Harrington is far more savy on the Tao of Scoot than I.  I also believe it is useful to read a few of his scooter reviews (click on the icon that says Scooter Reviews) to get a feel for his tone and overall perspective, prior to reading the review on the SYM Fiddle II 125.  Which ever you decide on, I wish you miles of smiles.

• 06-11-2009 11:49 AM In reply to

I agree with what has been said... get on the scoots and ride them! I did this a couple of days ago on a Fly and the Daelim S1. Whilst specs on paper may look similar, there's nothing like riding the scoots to get a feel for what YOU like!!! After all, you're the one who will be living with the scoot after you buy it!!! And have a go on the S1 if you can! Well worth it! kindest regards
    Live the Dream - Ride a Scoot!! Preferably a Daelim S1!!! Troy Corser knows how good these scoots are, cos he's got one!!!!!
  • 06-11-2009 11:54 AM In reply to

• JaneG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-10-2009
    • Bicheno, Tasmania
    • Posts 15

Thanks for all your thoughts!

I go for my license on Tuesday morning..... I'm doing the test on a Yamaha Scorpio (which I hate). but I figured that it was better to get my motorbike license instead of the automatic license - then I can ride anything!!

But, I still prefer scooters....

How could I do all my shopping on a motorbike???

• 06-11-2009 12:07 PM In reply to

Quality between Orbit/Classic (effectively same thing different panels) & Mojo RT is pretty much the same. Basic entry level Chinese.

A good piece of advice for 125cc scooter buyers wanting to get something that will last is to look at something fitted with a proper oil filter in the engine. That's effectively where long term quality & reliability starts.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 06-11-2009 12:19 PM In reply to

bum on seats. get out there and test ride them.

i have test ridden the classic 125. it was very nice.

argentum melle
  • 06-11-2009 12:32 PM In reply to

• Keeper75
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 627

Dakoda:
    Heavier doesn't mean more weight.

Tongue Tied

A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au