Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Vespa GTS 300

Last post 02-01-2010 11:05 PM by adamtassell. 79 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (80 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2009 04:23 PM

Vespa GTS 300

Since I have hit 1,600km I thought it was about time I posted a review of my GTS 300.

Up until a couple of years ago I had pretty much always ridden a bike of one kind or another, my last was a VFR 800, but the fun had gone out of it for one reason or another and I gave it away.

For me, all the fun of riding a bike is going for it at about 85%, which is perfectly feasible on a scooter, but will get you shot, tasered, sodomised, and massively fined on a sportsbike, which is no fun at all (except the sodomy bit Indifferent)  Did I say that out loud?

Then I saw the GTS 300 and GTV 250 at Auto Italia this year and just knew I had to have one.  I wasn't alone in my impulse buying frenzy, I also got green lighted on the spot by the boss.  How often does that happen?

And now its beer o'clock so I will have to finish this next week, sorryEmbarrassed

I'm back, sorry about the long intermission!  So anyway, straight down to Motorini I go to have a serious chat with Nico.  He has a beigeish GTV 250 and a bright (Ferrari) Red GTS 300 on the showroom floor.  I can't really decide which way to go, so head home for another 12 hours research on the Net.  In the end I decide more grunt must be good, red is definitely the go, and that headlight on the GTV might look retro cool in pics, but up close its just a bit too Wiggles car for me.  So red GTS it is.

Some might wonder why I didn't look seriously at other scooters?   In brief, I like a lot of build quality, a decent bit of styling, and it had to be a four stroke.  I am yet to see anything of similar size that comes close to the Vespa in all these areas (except maybe another Piaggio/Gilera).

Buying Experience -  Once I had decided on a scoot everything went smoothly.  I am the worlds worst haggler so payed close to list price, which I thought was pretty fair anyway, given the woeful exchange rate at the time.  Nico threw in a helmet (one of those half jets the underseat storage is designed for), a jacket, and a half screen.  After some hand wringing I decided not to fit a rear rack, it just looks right without.  I will fit one eventually though, they are definitely a must have.  Nico talked me out of the floor mat idea, and quite right he is too, totally unnecessary.

First Impressions - As a former bike rider I would have to say the first 2 hours or so on a scoot were a bit freakin frightening!  It takes a while to adapt to a scoot control layout, so there is a lot of bizarre foot and left hand action till you twig there is no clutch, no gear lever, no foot brake.  Oh yeah, and no big twin disc brakes at the front!  Easily the worst thing is trying to stop in a big hurry using just the front brake (as you would on a bike) and nothing much happens, except that solid object up ahead keeps coming at you way too fast!!!

To be continued.

Err Gazza
  • 06-19-2009 06:41 PM In reply to

Re: Vespa GTS 300

how does it feel oing from an 800cc to a 300 in terms of power?

Removed due to stalker
  • 06-19-2009 09:36 PM In reply to

I picked up my new Black GTS300 from Nico today and rode it back to Nowra,

After only ever owning geared 2 stroke scooters before, this new one is amazing to ride, except I still go for the foot brake all the time!!.

• 06-25-2009 09:55 PM In reply to

MattpurpleSSS:

how does it feel oing from an 800cc to a 300 in terms of power?

Hey Matt,

I'll try to explain more in my review, but basically a scoot is never going to have anything like the outright power of a VFR, but where can you really use that sort of power (at high revs) in the real world?  The Vespa is more about torque and how it works with the constant velocity transmission.  Where it really matters to me, getting away from the lights well in front of traffic, manouvering through traffic and keeping clear of it, maintaining 110-120+Wink on a freeway or highway, the GTS 300 has plenty.  I have yet to meet anybody in normal traffic who can get anywhere near me up to 60-80 (except, just, a HSV Clubbie).  And quite a few try, I've noticed nobody likes to be beaten by a scoot LOL.

I challenged a bloke at work who owns a GSXR 1000 to a drag to 60, and I reckoned he would struggle to beat me.  He thought he was onto a sure thing until I mentioned it would be in the car park.  You see, the Vespa can easily go from 0-60-0 in the confined space of our car park, while the GSXR would have to go full throttle in first gear to have any hope of beating me to 60, but then it would overrun to about 100 before he would be able to back off.  He then has to pull it up, somewhere the other side of the bushes Crying.  That is where a scoot is fun for me, you can go hard without it getting scary.

Cheers

Err Gazza
  • 06-25-2009 10:20 PM In reply to

Menangler:

I picked up my new Black GTS300 from Nico today and rode it back to Nowra,

After only ever owning geared 2 stroke scooters before, this new one is amazing to ride, except I still go for the foot brake all the time!!.

Hey Menangler

The black one looks pretty damn cool.  That would have been an interesting ride while you were running it in.  I put a couple of hundred kays on mine then rode it down to Narooma (yeah yeah, I took it easy Nico Wink).  A great ride, only prob was the seat was a right pain in the ring till I worked out a folded beach towel on the seat was perfect.  Wound her out to a 140 on the way back (indicated, I'll have to try it with the GPS one day) Cool.

Cheers

Err Gazza
  • 06-26-2009 07:31 PM In reply to

Hi Gazz,

I think I spoke to you at the Italian day, did you have your red GT300 their? I rode my old Green '69 Rally up from Nowra for the show. I rode the black demo model to the show for Nico that morning, I was sold on one after that, it was hard to get back on my old green Rally and ride it back to Nowra, so I sold my daily rider PX200 and ordered a Black GTS300 from Nico.

I also find the seat a bit..............,I am not sure, but it is like it is too far forward, would be better if it was back a couple of inches, it is like I am sliding off that darn hump in the middle of the seat all the time, this causes the jeans to ride up too, not so comfy. maybe I am just used to the old out of shape rally seat.

Other than that I am very happy with mine, goes like a rocket off the line, I accidently pick up the front wheel at the lights on my way to work the other day, and for overtaking 80 to 100 ks is also very good. Oh, and I did take it easy for its first ride back from Canberra, well the first bit of the first ride!!

Dave

• 06-26-2009 08:16 PM In reply to

i dont agree with any of the stock scooters beating anything i own a Gilera Nexus 460cc scoot and according to the scooter review web sites it 5sec faster to 100km/h than the vespa 250/300's but 0.1sec slower to 50km/h than the 300... i have a pipe and this and that on mine.... and for the record if both scoot and car accelerate at the same time there is no chance the scoot will beat anything on the road.... the scoots do 0-50km/h in 4-5sec i had a SMART car that did 0-50km/h in 2.3sc no this or that press the gas and go in auto mode.... no need for a hsv to beat it.... from my experence with the piaggio 400/500's ive owned and ridden they are SLOWER than almost any real 250cc motorcycle off the mark untill doing over 80km/h by then your in the dust and playing catch up...... my motorcycle has 160nm @3200rpm and over 100nm @ idle!!! it not a fast bike yet still does 0-100km/h in well well under 4 seconds without trying, no need to even launch...... Im 125kg and was riding my 350kg bike, i raced my mate on my nexus 80kg + 205kg scoot (i weighed it) i didnt have to go over 2500rpm to still easily keep up.... so i gave him a 50m head start and before we hit 100m i flew past like you would not believe.... sorry to sound mean and rude but i hate these stories..... sure there are some faster scoots out there with 0-100km/h in a claimed 5-6sec yet still even a 600cc bike will be gone... my gilera isnt slow and makes much more power at the tyre than it should makes almost factory quoted flywheel hp at the tyre, yet like i said it aint that quick.... i beat every car i come across because im accelerating before they get on the power and then your already slowing down when they come past.... but it's the same on anything on 2 wheels..... the average 125cc scoot does 0-50k's in 8sec as an average for the cheapys, yet people claim only V8's can barley beat them..... my V8 is clapped out and still does 0-100 in 6.45 on the G-tech pro on a good day and 7.5 on a bad day and it stock 20yo 4L in a car that weighs 1900kg......................sorry for the rant but if you wanna run your scoot 0-60 against my bike for pinkies it's on.......i love m scoot more than my car and bike, and if anyone should make up these stories it should be me on my wild "better than any ducati i've ever seen or heard" scooter (as i was told by a sports bike rider) but it's not true...................................... what is true and this should be the opposite, my scoot is as quick as anyone i've ridden with in the hills surrounding melbourne.... not on the straight bits.... but in the spaghetti it keeps pace with bikes such as cbr600's Z750's a busa R1 and whatever else..... but thats not the scooter it's the rider and how hard they are willing to push..... rossi on a postie bike would beat me aound phillip island if i were riding his bike........................................................................sorry to sound rude, but im not being that way.... insert smileys................... gerat choice of scoot i love the super 300 and i was going to buy one but only got the nexus cos it was cheaper and had a higher top end and i'd always wanted one..... but i'd love a super 300 now lol ..... is it true they can power wheelie off the line... if so wanna swap ;)
  • 06-27-2009 11:47 AM In reply to

yada yada yada ....

Scoots & Bikes are dfifferent machines .... there is no point to comparisons .... except apparently when measuring penis size Wink 

• 06-28-2009 04:38 PM In reply to

• Rosa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2009
    • Nowra
    • Posts 50

Vintage red ones go even faster.
  • 06-28-2009 06:36 PM In reply to

Hey, I have the other half of that photo. Thanks for the ride today, we will have to do that again. Dave
  • 06-28-2009 07:00 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

How sweet. A ménage a trios

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-29-2009 08:21 PM In reply to

• Rosa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2009
    • Nowra
    • Posts 50

Only thing missing Pete, is a yellow one!

Vintage red ones go even faster.
  • 06-29-2009 11:35 PM In reply to

andrewd:
    i dont agree with any of the stock scooters beating anything i own a Gilera Nexus 460cc scoot and according to the scooter review web sites it 5sec faster to 100km/h than the vespa 250/300's but 0.1sec slower to 50km/h than the 300... i have a pipe and this and that on mine.... and for the record if both scoot and car accelerate at the same time there is no chance the scoot will beat anything on the road.... the scoots do 0-50km/h in 4-5sec i had a SMART car that did 0-50km/h in 2.3sc no this or that press the gas and go in auto mode.... no need for a hsv to beat it.... from my experence with the piaggio 400/500's ive owned and ridden they are SLOWER than almost any real 250cc motorcycle off the mark untill doing over 80km/h by then your in the dust and playing catch up...... my motorcycle has 160nm @3200rpm and over 100nm @ idle!!! it not a fast bike yet still does 0-100km/h in well well under 4 seconds without trying, no need to even launch...... Im 125kg and was riding my 350kg bike, i raced my mate on my nexus 80kg + 205kg scoot (i weighed it) i didnt have to go over 2500rpm to still easily keep up.... so i gave him a 50m head start and before we hit 100m i flew past like you would not believe.... sorry to sound mean and rude but i hate these stories..... sure there are some faster scoots out there with 0-100km/h in a claimed 5-6sec yet still even a 600cc bike will be gone... my gilera isnt slow and makes much more power at the tyre than it should makes almost factory quoted flywheel hp at the tyre, yet like i said it aint that quick.... i beat every car i come across because im accelerating before they get on the power and then your already slowing down when they come past.... but it's the same on anything on 2 wheels..... the average 125cc scoot does 0-50k's in 8sec as an average for the cheapys, yet people claim only V8's can barley beat them..... my V8 is clapped out and still does 0-100 in 6.45 on the G-tech pro on a good day and 7.5 on a bad day and it stock 20yo 4L in a car that weighs 1900kg......................sorry for the rant but if you wanna run your scoot 0-60 against my bike for pinkies it's on.......i love m scoot more than my car and bike, and if anyone should make up these stories it should be me on my wild "better than any ducati i've ever seen or heard" scooter (as i was told by a sports bike rider) but it's not true...................................... what is true and this should be the opposite, my scoot is as quick as anyone i've ridden with in the hills surrounding melbourne.... not on the straight bits.... but in the spaghetti it keeps pace with bikes such as cbr600's Z750's a busa R1 and whatever else..... but thats not the scooter it's the rider and how hard they are willing to push..... rossi on a postie bike would beat me aound phillip island if i were riding his bike........................................................................sorry to sound rude, but im not being that way.... insert smileys................... gerat choice of scoot i love the super 300 and i was going to buy one but only got the nexus cos it was cheaper and had a higher top end and i'd always wanted one..... but i'd love a super 300 now lol ..... is it true they can power wheelie off the line... if so wanna swap ;)

You know more about all of this than I do, Andrew, I'm sure. But (just in my personal experience) I have found that if you can go 0-100 in 7secs you are faster than most cars on the road. It is a question of physics, of power-to-weight ratio, as I (vaguely) understand it. I could not even come CLOSE to beating your motorcycle in a race, just as I could not even come CLOSE to beating my brother's Porsche. But the vast majority of vehicles on the road are not an 1800cc motorcycle nor a Porsche 911.

Also, interestingly, I have found the opposite from you regarding road geography. The twistier the road becomes the slower I seem in comparison to motorcycles and cars. I seem much more capable of producing fireworks on the straights or the long flowing sweeps. Then again, this is probably because I am still relatively cautious about approaching corners at high speeds.

In the end, though, I'm in the riding for more than the speed. If I wanted to fly at truly high speeds, I would train for my pilot's licence. A jet would make your motorcycle and my brother's Porsche look like they are moving at the pace of snails.Geeked

Mack Truck
  • 06-30-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

no my argument wasnt supposed to be about saying no scoot will beat a car and bikes are faster..... it's about every idiot who comes here and says that their scoot beas everything except V8 etc... and 90% of the time they are riding a chinese 125/150 it just drives me nuts.... a 500cc scoot is a good match for some economical automatic city hatches but any decent family sedan these days rapes them.... example is a GTS250 0-100in 13ish toyota aurion 0-100 in 6.5 base model fleet pov pack or rental thats half the time! and a decently quick scoot.... yet you have monkeys with 125's (not thins thread) claiming that their 4hp yinlongluckystarmoto beats everythning bar the quickes of traffic... what a load of ***.... maybe over the 1st 5m as they have reacted before the car has....  and lastly to remember, on a scoot you accelerate full throttle almost always (unless you have a 500+) i'd say 99.99% of the time..... yet how often to you take off at 100% throttle in your car? hardly ever.... i usually use 25% and still wax any scooting device bar the big ones and my car is slow

• 06-30-2009 07:29 PM In reply to

Its become boring guys, move on ...
Page 1 of 6 (80 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au