Scooter
Community

Dirt roads, Best suspension, which scoot ????

Last post 06-27-2009 09:56 PM by Hardley Viragoson. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 12:47 AM In reply to

Re: Dirt roads, Best suspension, which scoot ????

Wink I know what you mean Petegailey i keep looking  at the Suzuki DR650se at $7690 plus on roads I'm very tempted myself . There is that much gear about to modify them as well . As a all rounder i don't think they can be beaten for bang for bucks Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-24-2009 02:34 AM In reply to

petegailey:
    I find out that for the price of a 250cc scooter you can get a 650cc single cylinder thumper dual road dirt bike that can do 150k/h and has a life expectancy of over 100,000ks.

Well yes you can. You need a ladder to climb up though and the seat is not built for comfort. Fuel economy goes out the window on scoots and bikes when they get over 400cc

I want something 300 - 400cc and there aint much in this range. Strange choices I'm considering are 250 Virago or DRZ400E or S or SM. I figure the virago can go on a dirt road when push comes to shove. The DRZ400 would be a blast dirt or bitumen and a bit more fuel. Both are proven engines. I've been looking a lot. Damned if I will ride a bike and get car fuel use so no biggies for me. I even considered an old Honda XL350 (that would make a good super motard)

Ooops this is a scooter forum I don't want to get ex-communicated. As I said I would like to find a scoot for the job but many turn into whales over 125cc. But there are a couple of lightweight big wheel 300cc scoots. I would have to add a short screen and lower the seat for cruising comfort and economy

Do more with less Cygnus125 then 250Virago
    Get outa town the wheels wont stop
    alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 06-24-2009 04:12 PM In reply to

Cygnus how about a farm bike you might need to gear it up a little but they come with racks fitted and farmer proof build . There is the Kawasaki Stockman 250cc ,  Sukuki Trojan 200cc , Yamaha AG 200cc , Honda CTX Bushlander 200cc  

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-24-2009 09:25 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Cygnus how about a farm bike you might need to gear it up a little but they come with racks fitted and farmer proof build . There is the Kawasaki Stockman 250cc ,  Sukuki Trojan 200cc , Yamaha AG 200cc , Honda CTX Bushlander 200cc  

It's an idea but only the 250 would be up to it (would have to change sprockets). There are very few about and no blinkers so I would have to set it up for road rego.

There is a DR350suzi (older one) I was looking at. Any of this type I would drop the back a bit, add windshield and change the seat.

Getting serious about the virago 250 though (so comfy)

alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 06-24-2009 09:46 PM In reply to

Virago is a good bike been out donkeys years and bullet proof 250cc so cheaper Rego in SA . Should be lots of accessory's around for it put a screen on it and go anywhere

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-25-2009 07:22 AM In reply to

pyrah:
    Virago is a good bike been out donkeys years and bullet proof

Yep seen one with 99,000Ks and other high mileage and you don't see comments like top end just rebuilt. They seem to just keep going. Yes

Seen a beauty screen, saddle bags. I'm getting close.

alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 06-25-2009 08:42 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Did it. Went over to the dark side. Traded the trusty Daelim in for a DR650. Keeping the Vespa though. 

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-25-2009 08:47 PM In reply to

• 06-25-2009 08:52 PM In reply to

Well done petegailey You have the best of both worlds now plenty of accessory's for both bikes both bikes should give you a lot of pleasure , You need to take the DR to the Flinders ranges for a good work out now Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-25-2009 08:54 PM In reply to

• 06-25-2009 09:50 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

I'd love to do the Flinders again. Last time was in a truck some 20 years ago. Also have a friend at Tibooburra who could do with a visit but theres things like a long distance tank, a corbain seat and racks to fit first.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 06-25-2009 10:55 PM In reply to

petegailey:

Did it. Went over to the dark side. Traded the trusty Daelim in for a DR650. Keeping the Vespa though. 

Oooh what a beast

Oh me toEmbarrassed, pick up a 250Virago tomorrowCool, traded the CygnusCrying

Can't justify a scooter and a bike, maybe another time.  Still can't beat a scoot for suburbia and city but I'll manage on the little Virago.

alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 06-26-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

Big Smile WHAT cygnus gone completely to the dark-side and on a cruiser to-boot Sad ups changed my mind think the Yamaha Virago is a good choice for what you want to do Yes 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-26-2009 12:29 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

A warning to all 125 riders who do the long trip. And only two weeks of getting home. This is what white line fever does.

• 06-26-2009 09:09 PM In reply to

petegailey:

A warning to all 125 riders who do the long trip. And only two weeks of getting home. This is what white line fever does.

He He. Well the Cygnus did the job well but yeah I want to do more cruising more comfortably. I guess just confirmed my need for more of the same.

Oh and the Virago is a beauty, goes up hills at the same speed as down. Getting a screen Monday.

No storage at all of course so thinking of tank bag or top box or panniers or saddle bags. Certainly will want all for touring and trailerSurprise (tiny tiny trailer)

Bum bags, back packs.

alias Hardly Viragoson
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au