Scooter
Community

The latest Scooter Mag

Last post 12-23-2009 09:21 AM by SharonVespaGirl. 62 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-28-2009 03:04 PM

The latest Scooter Mag

I thumbed through it at the newsagent today. I thought that after 5 months they might have produced an amazing bumper issue. Unfortunately it just seemed bland & forgettable, so I didn't even bother buying it. I bought a motorcycle magazine instead.

Mack Truck
  • 06-28-2009 05:17 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Re: The latest Scooter Mag

ColdCola:

I thumbed through it at the newsagent today. I thought that after 5 months they might have produced an amazing bumper issue. Unfortunately it just seemed bland & forgettable, so I didn't even bother buying it. I bought a motorcycle magazine instead.

Agree!  The information in it is old, the mag is not a bumper issue considering we waited 6 months, and there is nothing spectacular about the magazine at all. 
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 06-28-2009 05:56 PM In reply to

• E2W
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2008
    • Fitzroy North Melbourne
    • Posts 482

Dakoda:
    The information in it is old, the mag is not a bumper issue considering we waited 6 months, and there is nothing spectacular about the magazine at all. 

but, do you shiit can it so anyone reading this forum thinks it's not worth buying and then it disappears from the newsagents shelf due to lack of sales.....

or

do you get behind it and buy it in the hope it grows and becomes bigger than it ever was before.

This month I've bought 2 copies......ok, ok, I am on page 68 but I think we should get behind it and build it back up.  

Everything Two Wheels

www.everythingtwowheels.com.au
  • 06-28-2009 06:04 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

E2W:

Dakoda:
    The information in it is old, the mag is not a bumper issue considering we waited 6 months, and there is nothing spectacular about the magazine at all. 

but, do you shiit can it so anyone reading this forum thinks it's not worth buying and then it disappears from the newsagents shelf due to lack of sales.....

or

do you get behind it and buy it in the hope it grows and becomes bigger than it ever was before.

This month I've bought 2 copies......ok, ok, I am on page 68 but I think we should get behind it and build it back up.  

I will always buy it regardless, and like you I bought 2 copies, one is at home, and one is at Scooter HQ.
    2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 06-28-2009 06:16 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Are ANY of those twats who put that rag together frequent here???? the rally in Tas item was absolute CRAP !!! could have atleast ripped more info about it off the net!!! Im going word by word through that pamphlet
    Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 06-28-2009 07:23 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

E2W:

or

Adam & Jaime from Mythbusters did this great experiment on finding out whether it is in fact actually possible to polish a turd, and far exceed the minimum required measurment to qualify something as polished. What does this prove......only that no matter how much a turd is polished....it is still a turd.......similarly.....no matter how much people buy a shite magazine....the increased revenue is going to do nothing to improve the quality of the content. It will only affirm to the publishers of the said shite magazine that there are people out there willing to part with their hard earned cash for the level of product currently being offered.

Classic "Supply vs Demand".......if you supply a crap product when people demand a quality product them you're not going to be in business for very long. The successful operators are the ones that listen to what their customers want.....even if it is not necessarily what is best...and supply it! If you accept shite that's what you'll get! Wink

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 06-28-2009 07:30 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

15UZU:
    Classic "Supply vs Demand".......if you supply a crap product when people demand a quality product them you're not going to be in business for very long. The successful operators are the ones that listen to what their customers want.....even if it is not necessarily what is best...and supply it! If you accept shite that's what you'll get!

Yep - what he said Yes Yes

Australian Road Rider has just started a new magazine just for the Cruiser market... maybe we can pressure Peter Thoeming to branch out into scooters as well (he rides one to work every day).

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-28-2009 07:40 PM In reply to

Yeah I brought it... I am still strugglin to understand the how the GFC effects a scooter mag,, sound like BS to me... I am intrigued in that 3 wheel scooter thing..

Monza Gone
    Orbit Gone
    GP1 Gone
  • 06-28-2009 07:43 PM In reply to

15UZU:
    If you accept shite that's what you'll get!

Yes I think it is the responsibility of the publisher not me. I cannot afford to support him by buying something I do not want. Shape up or ship out.

This is customer feedback. Voting with your feet.

Do more with less Cygnus125 then 250Virago
    Get outa town the wheels wont stop
    alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 06-28-2009 08:13 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

15UZU:

E2W:

or

Adam & Jaime from Mythbusters did this great experiment on finding out whether it is in fact actually possible to polish a turd, and far exceed the minimum required measurment to qualify something as polished. What does this prove......only that no matter how much a turd is polished....it is still a turd.......similarly.....no matter how much people buy a shite magazine....the increased revenue is going to do nothing to improve the quality of the content. It will only affirm to the publishers of the said shite magazine that there are people out there willing to part with their hard earned cash for the level of product currently being offered.

Classic "Supply vs Demand".......if you supply a crap product when people demand a quality product them you're not going to be in business for very long. The successful operators are the ones that listen to what their customers want.....even if it is not necessarily what is best...and supply it! If you accept shite that's what you'll get! Wink

Spot On!
    "Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 06-28-2009 08:54 PM In reply to

Surprise CATCH 22 Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 06-28-2009 10:10 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

News magazines are not really into quality product.  Or independant reviews- they won't piss off an advertiser to maintain their editorial integrity.  The fact they've cut it to twice yearly, and the fact that they reprint press releases as stories (OK, not always), indicates a lack of commitment to their masthead (and their market).

The same guy edits Scooter and Two Wheels magazines- and the poor *** is obviously not given the resources to do both properly.  Then again, a real scooter enthusiast would fight for their patch.  I suspect that Scooter mag is burning cash, but News can't bring themselves to kill it off.  We should do it for them!

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 06-29-2009 08:01 AM In reply to

• GarryL
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-29-2008
    • Hornsby, NSW
    • Posts 173

and the trouble with "cut & paste" is you just end up copying the mistakes mistakes

• 06-29-2009 08:23 AM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

There must be some sort of financial crisis on for people to be complaining about a pissy $8 or whatever it cost. I got mine on Saturday morning before going out for coffee with my wife, and flcking thru looking at the pictures, and browsing over the articles, I think it was a pretty good effort. The article on the fastest vespa was a pisser, and the one on the workshop in melbourne, also interesting. C'mon people, we spend a lot of time here on the forum discussing new products, sharing news, looking at scootersales.com.au and some other scooter related websites worldwide, and seriously, 9/10 of you would know more about the scooter industry than the majority of buyers of this magazine. It's like reading all the answers to trivial persuit, memorising them, and then playing the game to win, then saying it was boring, cos you know all the answers. The Scooter magazine in my opinion was OK, not the best, but you have to remember that the magazine was in limbo for a great deal of time. If people have a gripe about the magazine, then fire off an email to the editor Jeremy, and let him know how to improve it slightly. I'm sure he'd be used to the spraying, and I'm almost certain he'd love the feedback to concrete the magazine back to bi-monthly issues. If anyone read the editorial, he did explain the reason for bi-monthly, and by shitcanning the magazine to reduce further sales, well.... that will lead to its full demise.

SMARTEN UP PEOPLE, its only a Scooter magazine. Send in photos, articles or art for them contribute to the magazine like Sharon Vespa Girl does, like Steve Laing does etc. etc. It clearly states that contributions can be sent in for review for publication. As for the advertising, we'll probably 9/10 buyers are after purchasing a scooter, so scooter ads in the magazine are helpful to the buyer. In a world for of advertising, TV commercials, flash banner ads etc... why is there even a question of ads?

DOZER.
  • 06-29-2009 08:32 AM In reply to

In my humble first post opinion, the magazine has been second rate since day one. Despite doing what Dozer suggests (I have been in contact with Jeremy with suggestions, have submitted articles as does Sharon and others) nothing ever comes of it. The magazine will not, and can not, be what we want as long as motorcycle riders are editing it, writing articles for it etc.  Scooters are second rate vehicles in the eyes of these guys and that will never change. "I jumped on a scooter to go get beer, this thing's not so bad afterall, for an egg beater, but the lack of gears prevented me from blah blah blah" that is not a scooter review!!!
Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au