Scooter
Community

heated grips drained battery - what to do?

Last post 07-08-2009 09:09 PM by freddy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2009 08:33 PM

heated grips drained battery - what to do?

just installed some heated grips.

they are RIVET brand. 

work great, only prob is that after one week the battery is not drained and can only kick start. 

what can i do to prevent this? get a bigger battery? change the 5amp fuse to a 3amp?

anyone with any helpful hints..

• 07-06-2009 09:32 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 810

Re: heated grips drained battery - what to do?

Turn the grips off when possible and recharge the battery. 

If you must keep the heater on then use a 240V battery charger a couple of times a week to keep the battery charged.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-06-2009 09:47 PM In reply to

Turn them off when scoot is not running. They should be set up this way or have a separate switch.

Do more with less Cygnus125 then 250Virago
    Get outa town the wheels wont stop
    alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 07-06-2009 11:20 PM In reply to

only have them on when running, and shut them off a couple of kms from destination.

there is a on/off switch but somehow it still drained the battery.

its wired directly to the positive and negative terminal as stated in the wiring instruction. 

on the packet it also says to swich off when not in use as it drains the battery.. 

done as per instruction but still had to kick start as not enough juice left for electric start..

maybe the capacity of my battery is not enough to cope with the grips..

• 07-06-2009 11:46 PM In reply to

Sounds right.

Really it is the charging system that has to cope with the grips and keeping the battery topped up. A bigger battery may help in the short term but the charging system then has a bigger battery to charge up.

Only things I can think of is battery may not be good, wiring set up perhaps not quite right, charging system capacity is down or the grips draw to much power for your scoot. I would check that no uninsulated wires are touching metal on the scooter and I understand some grip heaters are quite delicate when installing so check no breakage.

Do more with less Cygnus125 then 250Virago
    Get outa town the wheels wont stop
    alias Hardly Viragoson
  • 07-08-2009 01:26 AM In reply to

Get a auto-float motorcycle battery charger and plug it in when bike is not in use . How old is the battery on your scooter is it still holding a good charge . It sounds to me your charging system is not powerful enough to power the grips and also charge the battery so a larger capacity battery is not going to help it wont charge that up ether

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 07-08-2009 09:09 PM In reply to

You can limit the current they draw by putting a suitable resistor in the circuit. If you put too much resistance though, they will not get so warm.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au