ADVERTISEMENT

Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT

Help: 1982 Honda Urban Express 49cc

Last post 07-20-2009 11:38 AM by Jester0723. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-19-2009 07:25 AM

Help: 1982 Honda Urban Express 49cc

Hi, everyone,

My 1982 Honda Urban Express NU50 is behaving strangely.  When I try to start the moped, it will idle for 5-30 seconds and then die, if it even starts.  If I give it gas while it's running, it dies.  To try to solve this, I took it apart and cleaned out the carborator with carb cleaner by spraying compressed air through it.  When I put it all back together, it started right up and ran perfectly.  I rode it around my neighborhood and it died a few times, but overall ran pretty well.  Whenever it died, it would start right back up.

Fast forward 3 hours, when I went back outside to try to start it again.  I'm back to where I was before the carb cleanout.  This is killing me.  What could possibly be wrong?  It ran fine, then 3 hours later, I'm back to where I was before the carb cleanout?  Right now, I'm playing with the idle and throttle stop screws and it's not starting at all, no matter where I set them.  Anybody have any idea what could be wrong? I have fuel, I have air, I have spark.  There's nothing else to it, but it still doesn't go.  Help please?

• 07-19-2009 09:04 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 623

Re: Help: 1982 Honda Urban Express 49cc

Take the spark plug out and chack the plug.

Put the plug back in the lead and chack the spark which will be weak and difficult to see in daylight.

It sounds like you have reasonable mechanical skills.  These old Hondas work well, I had one years ago but they work better on modern two stroke oils.

If you are using mower type oil or its still on the old oil in the oil tank that can lead to these sorts of problems.

I never had issues with points in the ignition but if yours has a points ignition I would be cleaning the points and putting a new capacitor in the ignition.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-19-2009 10:50 AM In reply to

Thanks for the quick reply.

The spark plug looks fine.  Took off the wire going to the plug (there's a technical term) and it clicks when I kick the starter.  The plug was replaced a couple years ago it should be fine. 

The oil is good Yamaha 2 stroke oil that I put in 3-4 years ago.  What would replacing it do for me?  I don't see what replacing it would do - all it's there for is lubricant.  If I'm wrong, let me know.

I don't know what kind of ignition I have, either.  I think I'll try cleaning the fuel line and fuel valve, and if that doesn't work, i'll replace the oil.  Other replies are welcome.

• 07-20-2009 07:33 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 623

If the spark is fine then start looking for blocked exhaust blocked air intake blocked fuel filter.  The fuel filter might be a bowl built into the fuel tap.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
  • 07-20-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 623

Could the carby be flooding?  Turn the fuel tap off, start the engine and run the carby dry see what happens.

A high float level or leaky needle valve will make the engine run rich at idle.

• 07-20-2009 11:38 AM In reply to

Got it working.  AFter I took the carbs apart and everything, I cleaned out the air filter for the auto choke.  Put it all back together and it runs great now.  The auto choke filter was a weird little gizmo...I just blew some compressed air into it and some crap shot out of the holes.  I guess that was the problem.

It still runs a little rich on startup, but once it's warm its okay.  I'll probably tweak the idle a bit, but its fine now.  Thanks everyone, for the help.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au