Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

AIRHAWK Seat Cushion

Last post 08-09-2012 02:49 PM by Scooter Dave. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-31-2009 05:12 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

AIRHAWK Seat Cushion

I've got one of those bums that gets sore riding a bike or a scooter after about an hour in the saddle. In November last year I bought one of those Airhawk blow up whoopee cushion things for the seat of my Vespa GTS at the motorcycle show. I got a "Medium Cruiser" 36cmx36cm although I realised later that a "Small Cruiser" 46cmx30cm would have probably been the right one. That’s the cushion designed for scooters with longer flatter seats. The medium still works on both the scooter and the bike. Cost $150. Roho are the makers of the Airhawk and it was apparently originally designed for people in wheel chairs. They are extremely well made and that’s why they are expensive. I'm not sure about a money back guarantee but there is a limited warranty on defective materials.

It’s the weirdest thing at the start. You blow it up, sit on it, and then release most of the air.  It’s all about getting the right amount of air. Too much and you're rolling around like its jelly, too little and it doesn't work. It takes getting used to it. To start off it makes the seat even higher. Then it does weird things as you brake or accelerate. As your body moves around the seat the air moves around after you. In the beginning I used it during the 25k runs to and from work but it was disconcerting trying to find the right position. I was really unsure if it was any good or not. Then I took it out day tripping. I ride about 300ks on Sunday day trips as well as doing country runs of 500ks+ and the Airhawk works a dream. I don't get a sore bum! Get off the scooter and I am totally comfortable despite spending most of the day in the saddle. On the open road the Airhawk is an entirely comfortable and useful accessory

Now that I’m used to it, the cushion really works well, I don’t bother with it during the daily commutes because I have to take it on and off when the scooter is parked in the street, but for my weekend rides it is indispensable. It hasn't deflated over 9 months. Only one small problem I have is when I had to put on my plastic wet weather pants when showers start. The plastic pants don’t grip like my jeans on the cushion and I feel like I am sliding forward on the seat. As soon as I dump the plastics it is fantastic.

The Airhawk comes with two elastic straps which go under the seat and hold the cushion in place. The cushion also has a non slip bottom and doesn't move around on the seat and you could use it without the straps if you wanted to. I’ve used it on several long rides and it hasn't marked the seats in any way.

Now I think it was definitely worth the money. To be able to ride all day without a sore bum is invaluable! Has anyone else tried these things? Definite option for those who get stiff butts...
    I won't be sending this one back!

RATING: 9.8/10

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 07-31-2009 05:33 PM In reply to

Re: AIRHAWK Seat Cushion

Haven't tried the Airhawk still happy with a sheepskin . But use to repair punctures in the Roho cushions and they work really well so will take your word on the Airhawk  

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-14-2009 11:19 AM In reply to

Just got back from a trip to Darwin and back on  the T Max. (see my blog at www.themotorscooterdiaries.blogspot.com) If it hadn't been for my Airhawk cushion I wouldn't have made it to Sydney (I live in Albury). They are fantastic! Sore bum is a thing of the past. And one of the great features of the Airhawk is that it is easy to deflate a bit or inflate a bit to give yourself a fresh seating position. If you have just the right amount of air in it, it only raises your height by a mere fraction, so I have not found that to be a difficulty. Best accessory ever!

• 10-15-2009 05:00 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

On long trips i would not be without my airhawk. I have a sheepskin on my seat and the airhawk compliments the ride with no problems.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 10-15-2009 11:11 PM In reply to

I'm thinking one of these seat cushions will make a very nice birthday present & a lovely addition to my scooter for long trips, perhaps to Qld...

Proud owner of a beautiful blue Derbi Rambla, still not sold on a name... Need suggestions!
  • 10-16-2009 12:29 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Pete,where can i buy an airhawk cushion?

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 10-16-2009 12:38 AM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-21-2009 09:45 PM In reply to

i have a air hawk seat for the satelis. it is great. i can ride for longer without getting a sore bum.

argentum melle
  • 10-21-2009 10:17 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Yep, I have a small "pillion" Airhawk seat cover.  With the Beo seat sloping slightly forward, I too found my RJays' pants made me slide down the seat, going down hills.  What I did was place a small piece of compressed foam, out of an old PFD (boat safety vest), inside the Airhawk seat cover, to build up the slope end, and now no more slide.  I can usually travel around 300km before having to put it on the seat, but will use it each day for the Boreen Pt trip.  I agree with you all that they are really worth it.  There's no fun with a numb bum.

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 11-18-2009 09:57 AM In reply to

I also have a Airhawk on my T Max. Love it.

May Your Dreams become Reality
  • 11-18-2009 10:06 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

I got my Airhawk discounted at last years motorcycle show. The Sydney Motorcycle show is back on this weekend.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-24-2010 11:15 AM In reply to

I've used an airhawk on my touring motorbike for 3 years - wouldn't take any trip without it (don't really need it on my scoot).  Aftre seeing how good mine was, most of my riding mates got them - and are very pleased.  IT won't make a great seat out of a bad one but it is a great solution and designed originally to relieve pressure sores, so they actually work better that gel seats of sheepskins because they distribute pressure more widely (and don't heat up)

There are related products in the US - eg the "Freedom Air" which has a "V" cutout so as not to put pressure on .. ahem.. those bits.

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 03-24-2010 05:24 PM In reply to

• phiz
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-07-2009
    • Posts 158

Nice thread revival caroanbill...

I got an airhawk for xmas, used it out on a trip to tassy. Its hard to tell the difference until you take it off, then you realise how bad the stock seat is in comparison. Makes a noticable difference to how fast you are fatigued when riding, rides the bumps well (or at least takes some of the harsh nature out of the suspension -setup for smooth roads).

I dont bother day to day with the airhawk, although I've noticed my scooter seat (whilst far more cushy) is alot less comfy than the bike seat which is fairly hard.

vs125 / 1000
  • 08-09-2012 02:49 PM In reply to

Andy Strapz are selling them too now...

Scooter Dave
    Sym MaxSYM 400i ABS in White
    Darwin
    NT

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au