Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

WHAT THE...... ??

Last post 08-13-2009 10:28 AM by Nikko. 51 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2009 03:48 PM

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

WHAT THE...... ??

Biker uniforms ‘mad’ concept

THE manager of an Albury-Wodonga motorcycle business has rejected a North East politician’s call to force riders to wear high-visibility clothing, arguing it’s bureaucracy gone mad.

Stephen Whitehouse said his customers were proactive when it came to safety and mostly wore jackets with reflectors already built into them.

“This is bureaucracy gone mad; I resent being told what to wear while riding,” he said.

“I can’t picture my customers putting on fluorescent jackets, it’s not going to happen.”

Member for Murray Valley, Ken Jasper, raised the idea in Parliament this week.

“I believe the Government has an important role in enforcing safety standards and should legislate on this issue just as it did with compulsory wearing of seatbelts and cycle helmets,” he said.

“My observations indicate that many cyclists wear reflective or iridescent clothing, but most motorcyclists wear black garments, making visibility very difficult.”

Mr Jasper said high-visibility garments would promote safety for road users.

“Consideration must be given to enforce the wearing of specific coloured garments such as those used by truck drivers, construction workers and others,” he said.

Mr Whitehouse said the garments would not be embraced.

“It’s a stop-gap solution when the Government should be putting money into improving roads and proper driver training,” he said.

Sen-Sgt Bill Gore, of the Wangaratta traffic management unit, said it was a fantastic idea.

“On many occasions bikies are riding around in thongs and shorts. If they can’t make their own decisions then the law has to make it for them,” he said.

Source

and just in case you feel like expressing your opinion to Mr Jasper <cough> MP... here is his homepage

http://www.kenjasper.net.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=398&Itemid=9

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 08-04-2009 03:51 PM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

Re: WHAT THE...... ??

Hey Doze..

Crack out your visi vest buddy!!

So are they going to force drivers to wear helmets?? As it is well known that helmets protect drives in crashes..

2015 Matte Black Vespa GTS300
    2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 08-04-2009 04:03 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

How about teaching the cagers how to drive in the first place, why do they expect US to be the ones who have to stick out, when cagers dont use their eyeballs!

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 08-04-2009 04:08 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

I would like to propose that all black, dark blue etc coloured cars be banned and only High vis Yellow and High vis Orange be the only cars allowed on the road.

Dark coloured cars on a dark rainy night.... very unsafe.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 08-04-2009 04:14 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Jax:

I would like to propose that all black, dark blue etc coloured cars be banned and only High vis Yellow and High vis Orange be the only cars allowed on the road.

Those (and I am going to get slammed here, but anyway). The 4WD owners that never take them out of the city.  Especially the ones with the blonde mothers who are dropping their kids off to school types.  All my near incidents with 4WD's have been with blonde drivers, and mostly had their kids in the cars as well. Like the one on the highway the other day, had a "Kids on board' sticker, to let me know she had her precious cargo on board, but not once in the 3 times she merged in front of me, did she use her blinker!  So she obviously doesn't care that much about her kds!  Rant over

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 08-04-2009 04:25 PM In reply to

Jax:

Now that's being silly Jax... We should simply limit cars to white Camry's that have been fitted with a speed limiting device giving them a max of 110kph, a sheepskin seatbelt comforter and matching steering wheel cover, some additional reflectors on the edge of the doors, and those sticky-up antenna's at each corner of the car...

BTW, I shot that joker a quick email. Everyone should jump on his site and shoot him a message...

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 08-04-2009 04:29 PM In reply to

Dakoda:
    Those (and I am going to get slammed here, but anyway). The 4WD owners that never take them out of the city.  Especially the ones with the blonde mothers who are dropping their kids off to school types. 
    hehehehe.... I won't tell you that we wish for one of those when we win lotto then.... Even with just one baby, the Getz ain't big enough... I'm thinking a seven seat Volvo XC90 with a sticker in the back window that says "baby on board, but like you really give a rats..."

Smile

Tassie's number one scooter dealer.

www.scootershoplaunceston.com.au

info@scootershoplaunceston.com.au
  • 08-04-2009 04:32 PM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

BABY ON BOARD sign, means target me because I am an idiot :D

2015 Matte Black Vespa GTS300
    2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 08-04-2009 04:42 PM In reply to

• Tubsta
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-22-2007
    • Secret Test Track, South Gippsland, Australia
    • Posts 1,192

Jax:

Biker uniforms ‘mad’ concept

THE manager of an Albury-Wodonga motorcycle business has rejected a North East politician’s call to force riders to wear high-visibility clothing, arguing it’s bureaucracy gone mad.

Stephen Whitehouse said his customers were proactive when it came to safety and mostly wore jackets with reflectors already built into them.

“This is bureaucracy gone mad; I resent being told what to wear while riding,” he said.

“I can’t picture my customers putting on fluorescent jackets, it’s not going to happen.”

Member for Murray Valley, Ken Jasper, raised the idea in Parliament this week.

“I believe the Government has an important role in enforcing safety standards and should legislate on this issue just as it did with compulsory wearing of seatbelts and cycle helmets,” he said.

“My observations indicate that many cyclists wear reflective or iridescent clothing, but most motorcyclists wear black garments, making visibility very difficult.”

Mr Jasper said high-visibility garments would promote safety for road users.

“Consideration must be given to enforce the wearing of specific coloured garments such as those used by truck drivers, construction workers and others,” he said.

Mr Whitehouse said the garments would not be embraced.

“It’s a stop-gap solution when the Government should be putting money into improving roads and proper driver training,” he said.

Sen-Sgt Bill Gore, of the Wangaratta traffic management unit, said it was a fantastic idea.

“On many occasions bikies are riding around in thongs and shorts. If they can’t make their own decisions then the law has to make it for them,” he said.

Source

and just in case you feel like expressing your opinion to Mr Jasper <cough> MP... here is his homepage

http://www.kenjasper.net.au/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=398&Itemid=9

Yeah, good one from a typical MP. How about another motion to force all cagers to drive with their headlights on all the time, like that is going to happen so get off your high horse and get back to reality.  Fluro aint gona save your bacon when a cager does take you out.

"Being cold is the result of laziness" - Bunta Fujiwara

Current ride: Yamaha XT660Z Tenere.
    Gone: Piaggio MP3 400ie, too unreliable in the rain (think Italian electrics).

ScooterZine
  • 08-04-2009 05:41 PM In reply to

I dont know what all the fuss is about. Guess that pollie would love me.

Yes white is the new black. You should see me at night.

• 08-04-2009 05:43 PM In reply to

LOL I KNEW the Stig was a woman!

Looking good Nikko!

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 08-04-2009 07:40 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

I met Ken when he opened the ski season several times when I lived in Falls Creek. I must say that he's a bad drunk, and extremely rude to people. He got a snowball in the face while on local tv many years ago. Let's just say that I pre-empted this vest thing 10 years prior.....
    DOZER.
  • 08-04-2009 08:08 PM In reply to

Big Smile Bring back the red flag act it will also help with unemployment Big Smile  

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-05-2009 09:36 AM In reply to

I don't wear black these days, I wear an army green coloured Armadillo parka.

However, I think that this guy should GET STUFFED  - read my signature. What a knob-end. Super Angry He should be telling drivers to be more observant of vehicles smaller than theirs, not hassling riders.

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 08-05-2009 09:40 AM In reply to

And further, I think a ceremonial fluoro vest burning event should be held outside this idiot's office. Devil

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au