Scooter
Community

Top Boxes. Pro's and Con's

Last post 08-09-2009 01:04 AM by INMA. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-07-2009 05:16 PM

• haylz
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-23-2009
    • Perth
    • Posts 278

Top Boxes. Pro's and Con's

Trying to decide if Id like a top box on my Vespa GTS (when its mine)

I usually dont mind carrying around my helmet because I feel silly in all that gear if people cant tell Ive just been on the bike, and the helmet makes it a dead giveaway.

What are you thoughts on top boxes?? What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages?

Cheers 

Scooter SeƱora

Totally addicted to to my Vespa
  • 08-07-2009 05:33 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Re: Top Boxes. Pro's and Con's

I got one from the get go...If I ride to work(Macarthur to Central) I can store my draggin jeans, jacket, helmet, gloves and neck warmer on/in the scooter, along with my rain gear.

On the way to work I used to be able to fit my soft backpack in the top box, as it wouldnt fit under the seat. Now Ive been issued a roller backpack and it wont squeeze in so the backpack gets bungeed('occy strap' for some) onto the seat against the top box. I also keep a scooter cover under the seat.

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 08-07-2009 05:40 PM In reply to

Hi there!

Without being to blatant, the extra storage is great - IF you need it!

I commute and often pop to the shops on the way home. With my box, I can get several bags of shopping aboard! I have also managed a dozen bottles of wine in my empty topbox!!

I really couldn't shop effectively without my topbox.

My Givi 33L comes off its base, so I can put my work stuff in it and, when i get there, simply remove the whole box and use it like a rather round briefcase! No to-ing and fro-ing from the scoot!

When its chockas, it can upset the centre-of-gravity a little... especially when on the centre stand! Saying that, it could also upset balance on the side stand, but I tend not to use mine a lot so can't vouch for that! It never seems to bother me when I'm moving.

An additional box usually would have to be opened by a key. Mine is on my ignition keyring, so I have to turn off the bike when I want to get in the box. That could easily be sorted by having a key elsewhere....

One thing Steve@ ACE said when we fitted my topbox is that it's important to get the proportions right.... If the box is too small or to large for the scoot, it would look odd!!! I must admit, the other week I saw something like a Firenze with what looked like a 10L box on the back! It looked weird man! The scoot looked like it had a pimple on its butt!!

As for drag - not sure... It sits behind the rider and I'm probably big enough to deflect most of the air around the box. Someone more petite may experience this differently (and I dare say this is also related to the 'proportion' issue Steve raised as well!)

So-if you need the extra storage, my suggestion is pick one that suits your bike proportion-wise and have a separate key handy if you want to get into it without turning off the ignition!

Hope this helps!

With the very kindest regards

Live the Dream - Ride a Scoot!! Preferably a Daelim S1!!! Troy Corser knows how good these scoots are, cos he's got one!!!!!
  • 08-07-2009 05:58 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

You will find that you will be using your scooter for everything, and a top box is essential for all a ladies shopping :)

If you get a removable one, you will be able tp pick and choose if you want to ride with it or not

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 08-07-2009 06:07 PM In reply to

I only owned a top box once... and not for very long because one day as I was riding along , business as usual... there was an almighty THUD! behind me. Yep - for no particular reason the top box detached itself and went crashing onto the road. I will most likely never own a top box again. Besides, I found the scoot felt better without it - I cannot quite put the finger on why if felt better, but it was a noticeable difference.

Yeah it's nice to have a bit of storage space, but for me, it will not be in a top box.

• 08-07-2009 06:26 PM In reply to

don't like them. look uncool, upset the balance by putting weight up high and behind the back wheel, and they will catch side winds. plus they look uncool.

but it is your scooter so what i say has no bearing on your purchase, just go what what you want. i rode with someone who have the givi suitcase. looked good. better than a plastic topbox.

argentum melle
  • 08-07-2009 06:34 PM In reply to

Depends on the bike. I have a 33l on the beo and I think it looks OK. On the other hand on an SR50 or GP1??? For another option, look at Andy Strapz. They have a "soft" case that has a shoulder strap but is wire mesh inside so it can't be removed if you don't want it to. A more expensive option, however.

Where to next?
  • 08-07-2009 06:37 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

silverflyer:

don't like them. look uncool, upset the balance by putting weight up high and behind the back wheel, and they will catch side winds. plus they look uncool.

but it is your scooter so what i say has no bearing on your purchase, just go what what you want. i rode with someone who have the givi suitcase. looked good. better than a plastic topbox.

My Sportcity Top Box (Aprilia) came with bar ends which counteracted any weight on the back.  A appropriate sized top box does not affect riding at all in regards to winds etc.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 08-07-2009 06:56 PM In reply to

• veggie
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Northern Beaches, Sydney
    • Posts 457

couldn't / wouldn't live without my top box!

i use it ALL the time, being a chick we tend to have more baggage than blokes and i always carry a few occy straps in the top box for those times when you've shopped it up too much and you've gotta strap some stuff down, this is also when the top box comes in handy as i use it as a back rest for my excess baggage!

I haven't notices it's impact on performance or dynamics, mind you've i've never not had the top box on the scoot!

THE DREAM IS ALIVE!!! IT'S A VESPA AND IT'S ALL MINE!!!!
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's name is WOW
  • 08-07-2009 07:15 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

I have one, but not fitted it, as on the GTS, it covers up that unreal chrome rack. You do realise it has a hook under the front of the seat that you place your helmet clip onto, and when you lock the seat, the helmet is secure... unless you have a momo, and then theres no d-ring on the strap... but then you just wear the momo anyway inside a restaurant, cos you looken sooooo cool..... Cool

DOZER.
  • 08-07-2009 07:45 PM In reply to

• mate
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • Perth, Western Australia
    • Posts 52

Dozer - heh - on reading your post we rushed outside to find the hook and couldn't work out what you meant.

What did you mean?

Haylz - as you know I have a top box on my GTS. It's not removable, it's not big, it still manages to look like a boil (bigger than a pimple!) on the scooter's butt - but it does mean we can use the scoot as our primary form of transport as it will accommodate our shopping if we are judicious. Smile

You'll need to decide if you're prepared to sacrifice looks for functionality and I'm still on the fence about that one but can't say I'm sorry I can put my shopping in the scoot... (Neil says when he gets his Fuoco 500 I'll be able to take it off!)

Vicki. :-)
    DistinctiveWeb: Professional Web Design and Development http://www.distinctiveweb.com.au
    blog: http://www.vickisvapours.com
  • 08-07-2009 07:58 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

mate:

Dozer - heh - on reading your post we rushed outside to find the hook and couldn't work out what you meant.

What did you mean?

The helmet hooks are under the seat.

Its in this this thread on Modern Vespa.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic6754

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 08-07-2009 08:05 PM In reply to

• mate
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • Perth, Western Australia
    • Posts 52

Dozer:

The helmet hooks are under the seat.

Its in this this thread on Modern Vespa.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic6754

Ah. Thanks. We did see the pegs but because they have a corresponding thingy on the seat itself that would close on top of them, it didn't click.

Ta!

Vicki. :-)
    DistinctiveWeb: Professional Web Design and Development http://www.distinctiveweb.com.au
    blog: http://www.vickisvapours.com
  • 08-08-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

No underseat storange on mine - I need a top box! Big Smile

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 08-08-2009 11:45 AM In reply to

you have a gorgeous rear end Sharon. Wink

I have used a top box in the past on a previous scooter but didn't like it, removed it & will never again. Despite this I manage just fine using my scooter to transport the shopping thanks to the underseat storage, the shopping bag hook & the rear rack. I have a bike sized cargo net stashed in the glovebox or if there's a couple of large items I'll take along my Andy Strapz Bagz which is quite large & will fit all those extra bits n bobs that won't fit elsewhere on the scooter.

It's amazing what you can fit on the GTS250ie if you really think about it. Wink

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au