Scooter
Community

Is derestriction an option?

Last post 08-25-2009 05:53 PM by Alex. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-19-2009 10:31 AM

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Perth, Western Australia
    • Posts 33

Is derestriction an option?

Hey all. I have an Adly RT 50 (clone of a suzuki streetmagic, I believe) and I was just wondering if it could be de-restricted. Now the main reason I ask this, is that I am around 100kg and 6'2" tall, and the bike is probably a little under-powered for me but I don't really have the option of getting a more powerful one until my finances get better.

I realise that derestriction will void my warranty, could cause major probs with insurance and is probably illegal, but I find doing 60km/hr in an 80km/hr zone a little scary.

Any advice, even negative advice, appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-19-2009 01:07 PM In reply to

Re: Is derestriction an option?

I say go for it it amazes me why it affects warranty when they are artificially restricted for the Australian market & not allowed to perform like they where intended to do

• 08-19-2009 01:23 PM In reply to

pyrah:
    it amazes me why it affects warranty when they are artificially restricted for the Australian market & not allowed to perform like they where intended to do

I'm with you on this one. Some use it as an excuse to unload warranty obligations, others will cover derestricted scooters.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 08-19-2009 01:26 PM In reply to

Alex:
    100kg and 6'2" tall
    Alex:
    Any advice, even negative advice, appreciated

Ride downhill.

Sorry don't know these things, have you tried the guys you got it from?

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 08-19-2009 01:36 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Posts 33

Haven't done anything as of yet. Am thinking of chatting with the mechanic when it gets its 1000km service. Also, anyone have any idea what type of engine the 50cc Adly is? I know it's supposedly a clone of the Suzuki StreetMagic, but can't find out what the engine is based on...

Cheers

Alex

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-19-2009 04:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Posts 33

disregard the above post. I have just been told that the engine is a 49cc Minarelli type, based on a Yamaha motor. Cheers

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-19-2009 04:39 PM In reply to

Looks like a little fun machine maybe search pocket rocket sites as well would be good fun modified up on the hills around here Smile

• 08-19-2009 07:12 PM In reply to

• scootgc
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 156

Hi Alex, Have done some work the RT 50. There were no quick fixes to increase speed so we added an exhaust and a 70cc kit to get it going. Great fun with the extra power.  

Regards Adam
    Scooter Shop at your service.
    www.thescootershop.net.au
  • 08-20-2009 09:54 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Posts 33

So I take it removing the variator washer would probably be a waste of time? I was thinking that, plus removing any exhaust restriction in the short term, and then when my finances are sorted, maybe the 70cc kit, exhaust, bigger jet and pod filter.

Thanks to all for the advice. Looks like mods will be waiting.

Cheers

Alex

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-20-2009 10:22 AM In reply to

• scootgc
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 156

The changing of the spacer and the other exhaust which usually comes with the bike will get the little fella from 55k upto 65-70kph.

Regards Adam
  • 08-20-2009 10:30 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Posts 33

Awesome. Thankyou so much! In the short term, just getting up to 70 safely is all I'm after. I should be able to find a couple of hundred for a freer flowing exhaust. I sincerely appreciate that advice and will let you know how it all goes.

Cheers

Alex

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-23-2009 06:27 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Posts 33

Ok well I had the CVT open again, and managed to get everything apart to remove the variator restrictor washer (I think that's what it's called!). Only prob is that the washer, and the spigot that joins the 2 halves of the variator assembly, is one piece.

So would I have to cut the restrictor part off, or can I buy a new spigot minus the other bit?

Cheers

Alex

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-24-2009 08:36 AM In reply to

• scootgc
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-01-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 156

The spacer will have to be changed , Did you get another with the bike when you purchased? If not the spacer needs to be the same length as the original only with out the step up at the outer end.

Regards Adam
  • 08-24-2009 05:45 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Posts 33

Hi scootergc.

No, I didn't get another with the bike. It's just about due for a service anyway, probably in the next 2 weeks. While it is in being serviced, I'll ask the mechanic to replace the spacer, and also any other restrictions that he may know about, ie exhaust or carb or both...

I also noticed another thing... When I first removed the cvt cover, i didn't actually even remove anything, just checked on the type of socket I would need to remove the variator assembly. Anyway, when I removed the assembly yesterday, I noticed that one of the "rollers" was not even in it's normal place, but literally sitting sideways. I thought this could have been causing some vibration at higher (50km/hr) + speeds, but after slipping it into its normal postition, it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Thoughts?

Cheers mate

Alex

2013 TGB X-Motion 300i
  • 08-24-2009 06:28 PM In reply to

hi here, the rt 50 is a adly product from the herchee company in taiwan, i had one for a year, moved onto bigger scoots now.. when i had mine 1st thing i did was change the tyres of the off road ones as i like to bush bash ,the rt dose it well.. then i changed the exhaust pipe for a power pipe.. i ran it in correcty for the 1st 2 tanks of fuel ,1/2 to 3/4 throttle.. started life slow but got quicker as the k's clocked up.. in the end after running in and with the kunda power pipe i was getting 70-75kmph on the flat.. 1st service is at 500km then its every 2500km after ..costs $100.50 to service.. see ya ...

Scooters and Buggies
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au