Scooter
Community

Oil, what is best for bolwell le grande?

Last post 09-19-2009 07:14 PM by INMA. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2009 04:38 PM

Oil, what is best for bolwell le grande?

Hi

Can anyone tell me what oil I should use for the first oil change and etc (eg brand, synthetic ) for a bolwell le grande scooter.

Regards scootcrazy

• 09-14-2009 05:53 PM In reply to

Re: Oil, what is best for bolwell le grande?

Personally i don't switch to synthetic oil until about 5000ks to give time for all the mechanical bits to bed in correctly . So i would use a mineral oil for the first change 10w40 motorcycle oil from any well known brand will do the job 

• 09-14-2009 05:58 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

I second pyrah's thoughts on this.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 09-17-2009 10:56 AM In reply to

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, my hubby is grateful for the advice and we are going to go to total motorcycle accessories tomorrow to have a look for the oil. 

• 09-18-2009 10:35 PM In reply to

Hi,  We went to total motorcycle accessories, and several other shops,  also a motorbike, scooter shop today.  We couldn't find mineral oil       (10W 40).  The advice we were given was that (15W 40) shell Fortified synthetic oil was okay for the first oil change. Just wondering if anyone can give some advice on this.

Regards Scoot Crazy

• 09-19-2009 10:01 AM In reply to

That should be OK then go to  a fully synthetic oil ones the engine is fully run in

• 09-19-2009 07:14 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 845

I can't think of any 4 stroke scooter that would benifit from using synthetic oils.

Scooter engines have such low stresses and low temperatures that there is no reason to use synthetic oils and no advantage.

Good quality mineral based oils would provide equivalent protection and no change in wear rates without the expense of the synthetic oil.

Synthetic oils have some value when piston speeds and camshaft speeds go up or where exhaust temperatures get above about 600 degrees celsius.  Unless you have an engine reving well over 10,000RPM or a higher state of tune for racing the standard oils are fine.

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au