Scooter
Community

Is there a way to stop webpages from defaulting to their mobile versions?

Last post 10-09-2009 09:08 PM by haddles2000. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2009 07:36 PM

Is there a way to stop webpages from defaulting to their mobile versions?

I own a Nokia N97 and it has a built in web browser and 3.5g so it can view any web page as it's web designer intended. What annoys me is that when i'm browsing on my phone the web pages often load in the ultra lame mobile version not giving me the web experience i'm after. Some web pages, like Google allow you to view them in the classic (read proper) version and not the dumbed down mobile version but i'm wondering if there is a way for my phone to surf the web as a normal computer would. I've mucked around with it and can't see any settings I can change to allow this to happen.

• 10-09-2009 07:44 PM In reply to

• WaspLover
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-04-2009
    • Mainland, Shaky Isles
    • Posts 163

Re: Is there a way to stop webpages from defaulting to their mobile versions?

I had a similar situation and have found that using the Java app Opera Mini is a better idea... it also works much, much, much faster than my E61i's built-in browser and uses far lesser bandwidth (it access web pages via a proxy server that resizes images before sending it to your phone etc). I wouldn't do internet banking on Opera Mini (because of the proxy server thing) but I do surf the web on it. Oh, to most web sites, Opera Mini is a proper full-fledge browser and so renders their pages as "normal".

Mocker Club Member
  • 10-09-2009 07:51 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

my wild guess is that the server?? is reading the IP adress of your nokia??? and adjusting it accordingly?

• 10-09-2009 07:52 PM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

WaspLover:

I had a similar situation and have found that using the Java app Opera Mini is a better idea... it also works much, much, much faster than my E61i's built-in browser and uses far lesser bandwidth (it access web pages via a proxy server that resizes images before sending it to your phone etc). I wouldn't do internet banking on Opera Mini (because of the proxy server thing) but I do surf the web on it. Oh, to most web sites, Opera Mini is a proper full-fledge browser and so renders their pages as "normal".

yeah, I downloaded opera mini to my phone....its reallly good.

• 10-09-2009 08:06 PM In reply to

Just downloaded and installed it. Looks exactly like what i'm after and such a small file. It would have to be 10 times faster than the Nokia one as well. Who would have thought a scooter site would have helped out.............

I'm also after a decent free pdf reader if anyone knows of one. The one on the N97 is a trial version from Adobe and it wants me to pay which i'm not going to as it's free to use everywhere else. 

• 10-09-2009 08:23 PM In reply to

• WaspLover
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-04-2009
    • Mainland, Shaky Isles
    • Posts 163

haddles2000:

Just downloaded and installed it. Looks exactly like what i'm after and such a small file. It would have to be 10 times faster than the Nokia one as well. Who would have thought a scooter site would have helped out.............

Opera Mini is really quick because, as mentioned, everything you see on the phone's screen is basically processed and resized for the smaller screen by Opera's proxy server. You also spend less of your precious mobile data allowance viewing the web page. It's a brilliant idea. However because of this, some web sites such as those heavily JavaScripted ones may not work.

Can't help you on the PDF viewer thing though! I'm not a fan of PDF viewing on tiny screens!

Mocker Club Member
  • 10-09-2009 09:08 PM In reply to

I must admit that you do need to zoom alot on Opera but that's ok as I sort of know which sites I can and can't use with my Nokia browser. This site is actually rubbish to post on with my phone especially on the slide out keyboard.

As an aside, I think the N97 is a great if buggy phone. I would probably wait and see if a decent firmare upgrade came out for it before i'd buy another one. I was attracted to it as i've pretty much always used Nokia and refuse to use any Apple products (not even Quicktime).

My main gripes are the main phones memory is borderline too small although the 32 gig expandable memory is probably overkill. Making a loudspeaker call is not as good as my old N95 as it doesn't seem to handle duplex conversations, the keylock needs improvement as it is laggy and takes an extra 5 seconds to answer a call. The slide out keyboard it pretty useless but the virtual keyboard makes up for it. It probably isn't as easy to use as the old N95 as there seems to be an extra step involved in everything but the weirdest thing is the alarm which goes off between 3 and 5 minutes later than the time I set. Work that one out.

I am a gadget man from way back so the N97 does impress with its more powerful processor and the cool gadgets available on the OVI store and the way better built in GPS than the N95.

Hey Wasplover, I notice you are a Kiwi. I just bought a Yamaha Vino 125 and there weren't any in the country so they ended up getting a couple from New Zealand and shipping them all the way over here. I thought that was a bit strange but apparently it happens a fair bit and moreso with the recession where dealers are able to get unsold stock cheap. This one was a 2006 model so had probably floundered over there in a crate for some time. Anyway, it's done a bit of overseas travel in its short life. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au