Scooter
Community

NSW advice needed for total newbie, please help :-)

Last post 10-21-2009 02:17 PM by PamE. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2009 05:05 PM

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

NSW advice needed for total newbie, please help :-)

Hi,

Am total newbie so please bear with me! I don't know a thing about scooters beyond being able to drive a 125cc automatic (for which I have never had lessons nor a licence). I am moving to NSW next month. I don't have a drivers licence for a car as I never learned to drive. I will be taking driving lessons but I know it takes a long time in NSW to log up hours etc, so it'll be well over a year before I can think about cars. Meantime I'll really need some mode of independant transport, so I thought perhaps a little scooter. I've done some searching online but seems laws are different in all states, some require driver's licence etc, also am not clear about all the cc stuff and so on.

In a nutshell - is there some little motorised vehicle I can get a NSW licence for and be up and running on pretty quickly? Doesn't matter if it's just a little hairdryer, so long as it gets me from A to B on my own!

Thanks in advance Big Smile

Pam

• 10-13-2009 05:24 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Re: NSW advice needed for total newbie, please help :-)

Hi Pam, love your avitar, welcome to the forum. In NSW you need a licence for any scooter. If you go to the RTA website you'll get all the info and requirements. Most people will start with a 125cc auto and work up from there. There are motorcycles and scooters which are LAMS approved which means that learners can ride them. They go up to about 650cc.

see:http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/gettingalicence/motorcycle/index.html

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-13-2009 05:27 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Best bet would be to get yourself on the RTA website and make a booking to do your  M/C Ls ASAP after arriving in NSW(documents pending of course!)..that way after 2 days of 'lessons' you should be able to get around on your 125 on your Ls

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 10-13-2009 07:02 PM In reply to

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

Thank you lots Linz and Pete for such quick replies & welcome - have now happily have established that I definitely do not need a drivers licence, and that after a very short competency course I can then apply straight away for a 12 month learner rider licence Party!!!

So all being well you'll see me around these boards again in not too distant Smile

Cheers!

• 10-13-2009 08:57 PM In reply to

Big Smile PamE  Now for the big question which scooter are you going to get Yes

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-14-2009 12:15 AM In reply to

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

No idea at all, I have some investigating to do! Doesn't need to go over 80k/h as can't do more than that anyway on the learner licence, and it's just for zooming about town, not for any big trips. I just want something to tide me over while do my car licence over the next 18 months or so (yes I know I am the oldest woman alive that can't yet drive a car Embarrassed ). Also don't want to spend heaps for above reasons...maybe I'll get addicted and obsessed once I've had a taste but for time being these are my only criteria - any suggestions would be most welcome!

Oh and also if anyone can share links for dealers in the Coffs Harbour area I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks lots! Big Smile

• 10-14-2009 12:57 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

There are hills around Coffs so you'd probably want a 100cc or 125cc auto scooter. It depends how much you've got to spend what your choices are after that. Try and stay away from the Chinese ones (usually the cheapest) but the Twianese (eg sym) and the Korean scooters are usually ok. Then you have the Hondas and Yamahas which are more expensive but well made and then the Europeans (eg Vespas) usually more expensive and more difficult to service in Coffs. Id check out if any of the local motorcycle shops have got scooters because they'll be servicing it. As linz says book in for your licence training asap as sometimes they have waiting lists. Good luck

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-14-2009 01:09 AM In reply to

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

Thanks Pete that's great info, much appreciated Big Smile

• 10-14-2009 01:15 AM In reply to

Two shops here Before you buy a scooter post on here to see what the panel have to say about that brand . Also don't forget to budget for safety equipment

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-16-2009 09:29 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Hi Pam, welcome. What would your budget be for a scooter, including on roads. If you give us a max budget, we will suggest scoots to fit that budget. Most of us here have had plenty of experience in buying scooters, good and bad and we'll get you on the rite track.
    DOZER.
  • 10-16-2009 09:33 PM In reply to

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

Thanks Pyrah that's really helpful. In my urgent quest for my own wheels, having discovered the car licence will be a long time coming, I hadn't thought so much about cost. Have checked out your link and also some other stuff and will be more expensive than thought Tongue Tied We will be new immigrants so money, whilst not scarce, is not exactly abundant while we get set up....but anyways now I am armed with lots of good info thanks to the lovely people on this forum & I plan to keep investigating. I may end up with just 50cc so I'll be a tortoise uphill and folks will probably laugh at the mad old pom on her hairdryer, but nevamind Smile

• 10-16-2009 09:38 PM In reply to

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

dozer.:
    Hi Pam, welcome. What would your budget be for a scooter, including on roads. If you give us a max budget, we will suggest scoots to fit that budget. Most of us here have had plenty of experience in buying scooters, good and bad and we'll get you on the rite track.

Thanks so much for that, most encouraging! Have to discuss with OH, figure out our priorities - we need to work out a budget to get his beloved 70's Ford Falcon (or somesuch) back on the road as well but am pretty sure we can come to an agreement that leaves us both smiling (and mobile!) I'll be back ... Big Smile

• 10-19-2009 07:30 PM In reply to

• PamE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-13-2009
    • Coffs Harbour
    • Posts 10

PamE:

dozer.:

Thanks so much for that, most encouraging! Have to discuss with OH, figure out our priorities - we need to work out a budget to get his beloved 70's Ford Falcon (or somesuch) back on the road as well but am pretty sure we can come to an agreement that leaves us both smiling (and mobile!) I'll be back ... Big Smile

So, the figure we have come up with, including safety gear, is $2,500 - is that a reasonable amount to get me up and running with something reasonably reliable? If it's not realistic we can think again and maybe go a little higher but would prefer not...advice / recommendations / suggestions / any other comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much! Smile

• 10-20-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

$2500 is a bit tight but would depend on the scooter you find $4000 would set you up a lot better . You need safety equipment at a minimum a Full face helmet (Aus compliant) $100 (go to a dealer so they can get the right size & fit for you ) Gloves (i like leather gauntlets) Boots to protect ankles (work boots would do) . Also a motorbike/scooter  Jacket is very desirable along with Kevlar lined jeans . with plenty of on line search and ebay you can be dressed for under $500 . Rego and insurance you will need get some quotes (that one you can get an idea from ) for the insurance . Then of cause what ever money you have left will buy the scooter Don't be put of you can do it Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-20-2009 01:24 PM In reply to

• INMA
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009
    • Posts 830

Pam you may need to buy second hand scooter and new gear to get a good scooter in your price range.

You will need to just shop once you are in town, not much point starting from a distance.

Because you will need to sell it after some time I suggest staying with either Honda or Yamaha and shop for a low kilometer scooter. Low kilometers is less thsn 10,000km, more is ok but the price drops accordingly.

There are enough small second hand scooters because people often buy them use them then either stop or upgrade meaning their first scooter is in good condition and for sale. 

Dealers don't pay much for 2 year old scooters so the people need to sell them privately for whatrever they can get.  A dealer might offer 40% of new price for a 2 year old scooter and sell it for 70% of new price.

Local papers, the trading post and Ebay are good placesto start.

If you or your OH have some mechanical skills  then servicing the scooter yourself is a good idea.

Pick a scooter for a baseline and compare all the possible purchases against the base scooter.  I would suggest a good base scooter to be a Yamaha Bee Wee 100 or a Honda@125, both sell second hand for $2,000 leaving $500 for new gear.

Stay clear of the smaller 50cc scooters unless you are strapped for cash, once again Honda and Yamaha are my suggestions, the Yamaha Zuma or any of the Honda 50s.

You will need the services of a scooter shop for tyres and some spare parts once again Yamaha and Honda are every where.

Finally consider a power assisted bike which is legal on bike paths as well as the road.I have a couple of these for fun and they do make good basic transport if you don't have a license.

http://www.rotarybike.com/rotarybike_products.asp?type=Petrol&pid=34&action=details

2001 Yamaha Zuma, DR Evo 68 cylinder, Leo Vince TT derestricted, Delorto 17.5 (#98 jet), standard aircleaner, RMS fan, Race CDI, Standard oiler and premix @ 75:1 Shell SX2, Doppler SR3 variator, RMS clutch, RMS R rear shock absorber and Pirelli SL26 tyres.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au