Scooter
Community

Maxis on dirt roads? Any experience?

Last post 04-09-2010 06:32 AM by coffeescoffer. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2009 01:51 PM

Maxis on dirt roads? Any experience?

Has anyone had experience riding maxis on gravel roads (or even beaches) - my T Max doesn't like loose gravel in driveways much (put it down once or twice over the last 8 years) so I stick to the bitumen but sometimes a bit of gravel is necessary on a tour - are any other maxis better? Thoughts, anyone?

Filed under: , ,
  • 10-14-2009 02:21 PM In reply to

Re: Maxis on dirt roads? Any experience?

Can't speak much for any sort of long-term dirt/gravel riding, but the 'few' times i've had to deal with gravel on any of the scoots i've had - it wasn't a bucket of giggles.

The smaller scooter had skinny tyres that were knocked around by the gravel at the low speed, and would get bounced around by the bumps in the road etc.

The mid-size was better in this respect due to the larger and wider tyres, however I found low-speed cornering was scary due to the gravel as you'd feel the tyres lose grip over the loose surface. not to mention when I stopped and put my feet down I almost lost it due to the slight slant of the road and the weight of the bike on a surface that wasn't solid.

The big scoot, definitely not knocked around by the pebbles that were around like the other two, but it still wouldn't feel 'safe' to corner at anything other than upright and at very low speeds.

hmmm.....don't like the idea of it very much.

Ride safe my friend....  :)

2006 Honda Silverwing 600 - has a big butt!
    Perth, WA
    2011 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec - has a bigger butt! - and less k's
  • 10-14-2009 04:00 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

I dont think any 2 wheeler likes gravel or sand. Ive seen pics of scooters with knobbly tyres and I know a group of guys who used to go rock hopping and trail riding on PX Vespas so I suppose it can be done. The Vespa riders used to stand on their scooters as do the trailbike riders, that might help. Having a big wheeled scooter would help as well I guess..

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-19-2009 08:59 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Crowtrapper:
    Has anyone had experience riding maxis on gravel roads

Hi Cowtrapper,

I've taken both the 200 and 500ie Scarabeos on a 6km dirt road from Conningham to Oyster Cove.  The road is heavily banked and has a single track well worn into the surface.  I've found that prudence tells me to use te left hand tyre track, but that puts me at the edge of the "slope" with a fall of around 12m in places.  Taking the right hand track is less uneven, but if you meet an oncoming vehicle on one of the many bends it can be "tricky".

I've found that I can travel around 40kph to 50kph on most parts, completely upright, but it isn't pleasant and you can feel the tyres slipping on the graded surface.  On the other hand, washed out tracks with exposed rock and little gravel are no worries.  The torquey motor climbs quite happily and gives good traction, it's just no good with loose gravel.

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 10-19-2009 09:18 PM In reply to

MP3 by all accounts is pretty good on the dirt, while its no trail bike, it does have more stability. Although like most scoots the small tyres can still be trouble in very deep gravel, but it has to be on both front wheel tracks to cause much of a problem. I haven't tried mine yet but it goes really well when there is gravel over the road, you hardly notice that it is there.

//Dennis.

'08 MP3 400ie
    '07 Aprilia Tuono Factory 1000
  • 10-20-2009 01:09 AM In reply to

Used a Scarabeo 500ie, Beverly 250ie and Vespa GTS on gravel roads no problem, excellent fun actually, especially the Bev and Beo... think the bigger wheels helped...

Really enjoyed the gravel tracks down near Pemberton...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 10-20-2009 05:00 PM In reply to

Thanks bunny basher and everyone else. It's a mixed bag, obviously depends on what sort of gravel you are talking about. Those photos are Great! Now if I could find a gravel track like that, I'd be riding on it no worries!

• 10-20-2009 07:00 PM In reply to

Or this dirt road

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-22-2009 04:57 PM In reply to

Why would you want to ride a scoot on dirt particularly?                          they are just not made for it...

Removed due to stalker
  • 10-22-2009 05:07 PM In reply to

Surprise Because its there Stick out tongue

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-22-2009 05:19 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

MattpurpleSSS:
    Why would you want to ride a scoot on dirt particularly?                          they are just not made for it...

hmm.  If your scooter is your main form of travel and the road happens to be unsealed, you just adapt your riding to the conditions (within reason).  Have never ridden over soft sand, but have had fun along hard sand  Wink

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 10-22-2009 06:15 PM In reply to

Yes indeed - because it's there - my original post was in relation to a T Max, which is perhaps hardly a scoot, but just what it is ...? But I have just completed a trip to Darwin and back, and could have used some dirt roads (coarse corrugated gravel) but chose instead to stick on the bitumen. The T Max's manual actually does specify that the bike is not to be used on usealed surfaces...but the Mitta highway, which has a fair unsealed section, is beckoning to me... don't want to do it at 20kph though. So may be the best answer is Another Bike!

• 10-22-2009 06:17 PM In reply to

And Pyrah - all very well to call attention to "this gravel road" in the post above - but what sort of "scooter" is that that is parked on the side of the road? Not a Vespa by the look of it.

• 10-22-2009 09:15 PM In reply to

Big Smile Honda CBR125 you mean to say its not a Scooter Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-22-2009 11:07 PM In reply to

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307965

check this guy out  !

what a legend!!!

road meets dirt

2007 leminz outright winner
    2007 6 hour outright winner
    2009 leminz bike got flipped down the main straight !
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au