Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Engine Oil

Last post 08-27-2015 03:01 PM by JN250. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-31-2009 12:25 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Engine Oil

Ian put me onto this interesting thread about using automotive engine oil in scooters and motorcycles.

http://www.gtsownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1286

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 10-31-2009 06:11 PM In reply to

Re: Engine Oil

Interesting article Pete the only problem i can see in car oil is motorbikes with wet clutches but if you stick with oils not rated as Energy conserving car oil should be OK in these as well  My Honda cbr125  manual also says SG or higher except energy conserving . also not to use oils with graphite or molybdenum additives .The next question is will i try a car oil at my next oil change will have to think about it  

• 10-31-2009 07:42 PM In reply to

If you're willing to read "glover's" 4072-word quote then you might want to have a read of this http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=74009

• 10-31-2009 09:19 PM In reply to

Thanks for that rpmorrell my bikes got a cat on it so rules out diesel engine oil for me

• 09-06-2010 12:49 PM In reply to

• Tonify
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-14-2010
    • Posts 2

I used Automotive oil (Castrol Magnatec 10w40) on my previous scooter and had no problems. Did 30km plus with no oil burning.

• 07-30-2013 10:46 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

I got an email request re what oil for a quasar and I passed it on to my oil guru white fang who is a fan of using penrite in his scooters/bikes. this is his reply

Regarding oils -

This one is a REAL synthetic (I think made from gas rather than oil) with Jaso MA approval - $69

This one is a synthetic (super refined/modified mineral source) with MA approval - $54

And this one that Jared mentions also is a synthetic (super refined/modified mineral source) with MA approval- $50

I would happily recommend any of the 3... however the HPR5 has better cold start protection than the Everyday and for the extra $4 is better value...

The oil I recommended before http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Penrite-HPR-Gas-10-Engine-Oil-10W-50-5-Litre.aspx?pid=123727&menuFrom=60103#Cross (synthetic/mineral blend) is much thicker than the others and I found was best in the Vstrom - thin oils made the gearbox hard to shift...

But scooters don't really need MA approval as they don't have wet clutches...

Ian

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 07-31-2013 06:52 AM In reply to

So what's a MB rated oil you recommend because I couldn't find any other than the Honda HP4M oil which is a semi.

• 07-31-2013 03:00 PM In reply to

What about the scooter manual? Does everybody ignore it and listen to thev oil merchants instead? My manual says use synthetic oil meeting API-SJ specs or better, so that is what I do.

Mike 

• 07-31-2013 09:05 PM In reply to

• haro
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-23-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 125

I use the HPR 10 Gas Oil also by Penrite. 

Been using it in my VS125 for the past 10,000km and the scoot is now up to 27,000KM so far and still going well. Gone are the days of me paying stupid money for a tiny bit of oil from a motorbike mechanic who is enjoying the 1500% mark up. 

• 07-31-2013 09:10 PM In reply to

My VS gets regular car oil. No wet clutch means no requirement for MA oil.

4 years and 20,000 K's later, I'm still scootering, and you guys are stuck with me!
  • 08-01-2013 07:08 AM In reply to

petegailey:

But scooters don't really need MA approval as they don't have wet clutches...
    Ian

Not true for the Beverly 350; it has a wet clutch. The manual states the following about oil:

Recommended products

eni i-Ride scooter 15W-50 Synthetic-based lubricant for four stroke engines.

JASO MA, MA2 - API SJ - ACEA A3

Sydney /Piaggio Beverly 350
  • 08-01-2013 04:55 PM In reply to

Mine says MB oil only but it's $26/L which is more expensive than the most expensive Mobil 1 you can get. Yes, I got it in the backside without lube by Honda.

• 08-04-2013 06:59 PM In reply to

....ha ha you already paid for the lube....the rogering was free....Surprise

....lets have another drink...
  • 08-07-2013 05:14 PM In reply to

LOL just read all 33 pages on Netrider think i will try Caltex Deco400 Multi grade Diesel oil next time i purchase some oil

• 02-22-2014 12:20 AM In reply to

• Moon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2013
    • Posts 6

Hi

Anyone still around?

I realize the topic is engine oil only I hope you don't mind helping a n00b out with a Gear oil question?

I've got an Aprilia Sportcity One 125cc that's up for it's 1k service and wondering whether I should start doing it myself rather than paying some bod $230 for the service, especially knowing they are going to be putting 20w-40 or 50 engine oil in it when the manual says 5w-40. 

I'm wondering about what sort of gear oil to use .. the manual says Agip. Is there an equivalent to that? What are people using?

What spark plug needs to go in these?

Where do you get filters and stuff for these?

Am I better to just accept that I'm getting rogered and let Aprilia City in Melb do it?

Anyway .. hope somebody sees this and replies in the next few weeks?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au