Scooter
Community

To Boreen Pt and back

Last post 11-19-2009 09:34 AM by miketl. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-16-2009 09:40 PM

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

To Boreen Pt and back

Hi All,

Well I have made it back to Hobart and though it was a bit of a challenge riding in middle to high 30C, have had rain and cool 16C since.  Australia certainly is a land of contrasts.  First I would like to thank Dakoda, Brendon and Co for making me feel so welcome at Scooter HQ.  It was great to see the new "zebra" style Scarabeos and the famous "Beowulfe".  Big Red Audrey enjoyed their company as well.  Thanks too to Paul and the staff at Scooters Scooters for taking the time to make sure my needs were looked after and of course to Scooteroo Ben for organising the event. And thanks to Cameron and his wife who made sure The Scooter Shop was open early in time for me to drop in on my way to Hobart.  I can vouch for the high quality espresso coffee that is served there.

I started early each day, rising around 6.00am and on the road by 6.30am to be travelling in the cool of the morning.  The scenery was beautiful and there were many parrots, galahs, cockatoos and even budgerigars feeding on left over wheat on the side of the road.  I tended to ride for an hour or hour an a half and then stop at a cafe for breakfast.  I'd then ride for another hour or so before taking a pit stop and refuel.  A trick I picked up from another tourer was to wet a small "hand towel" and wrap it around my neck.  I'd then leave the wrist zips of my coat open and tuck the gloves inside, rather than covering the sleeves.  In this way a breeze came up both arms, hit the wet towel and kept me cool.  When the towel got dry, I knew it was time for me to take a rest, have a drink and re-wet the towel.  Most days I arrived at my destination by 12.30pm so that I was out of the strong afternoon sun, usually holed up in an airconditioned bar before having lunch taking a shower and flaking out for a few hours before exploring the area.

The riding experience was very enjoyable and Big Red Audrey worked like the well oiled machine that she is.  I did have a bit of a scare on the way home when I noticed it getting hard to start the engine in the mornings.  Checking the battery charge I found it around 11.8v but that it would soon climb to 12.9v within a few minutes, but didn't get to 13v or more.  I called  into Thomas Lee Motorcycles at Moree to have the battery checked, but it passed all the tests, however the electrics then started acting up and with the key in the off position, the indicator lights stayed on and the temperature guage gave a reading.  A call to Aprilia, Sydney, suggested crating the scooter up and sending it to Sydney.  I had all these visions of having to cancel all the accommodation for the rest of the trip, trying to reschedule my berth on the Ferry, booking a train or plane trip to Sydney and seeking accommodation near Aprilia.  In the end, the mechanic took the battery leads off and reset the system.  I decided to risk the low battery situation and continue the trip.  Big Red Audrey is now in the care of the local scooter place.  At this stage the diagnosis is that the on board circuit drain, intended to stop battery overload, is overcompensating.  To check this will mean a complete trace of electrics, so it's rebooked for next Monday.  In the meantime I'll just use the smart trickle charger while not riding.

For the record, I intended to travel light, so all I had was a small backpack under the seat and I stayed in local hotels along the way.  Each of these provided a lock up area for the scooter so Big Red Audrey was never left out on the street.  I did carry a small 12v compressor to check the tyres each morning before setting off, and I used this with the engine going, so as not to make the low battery power any worse.  It was amazing how friendly all the pub staff were and the country style meals kept up my energy.

The mass ride from Brisbane to Boreen Pt was something to experience.  Seeing 80+ scooters spread out along the highway was quite awesome, and the friendliness of the particpants was a great experience.  It was good to finally meet up with t2bitha and put a face and personality to the name.  I was also quite overwhelmed by the friendly welcome of a fellow Tasmanian, Sharonvespagirl, on arriving at Boreen Pt, "Congratulations Ironbutt".  Scooters definitely surround themselves with lovely and pleasant people.

For those who like statistics.  I travelled 4,705km all up using just under 170 litres of fuel.  This gave me me an average of 27.7km per litre or around 3.6 litres per 100 km.  I tended to take things a bit easy, maintaining around 105kph in 110kph zones and pretty well on 100kph in the 100kph zones.  As I was using a GPS I did find  that my speedo is quite a bit out, so that previously when I thought I was going 100kph I was only travelling 90kph and when I thought I was going 110kph I was only travelling 100kph.  I found that when I maintained 110kph, consumption dropped to 25km/ltre, especially in hilly areas, but at 98kph on the flat, it went up to 29km/ltre.  So my previous questions about Big Red Audrey's weird consumption figures have been explained by the classic 10% speedo error.

Would I do it again?  I found the riding fun and a great learning experience, but without someone else to fill in the rest of the day, the adventure lacked companionship.  I'm sure I'd try to get another rider along if I were to go on another sustained ride.

Thanks to all for your interest and encouragement.  It's definitely a great community.

ciao,  Mike -------------

Devonport, waiting to sail

Spirit of Tasmania Ferry   BR Audrey at Devonport   Bike queue

On way to Jerilderie - Tocumwal Info Centre; Jerilderie Billabong;  Greenvew Motel

Tocumwal   Jerilderie Billabong   Greenview Motel

Parkes - Cambridge Hotel

Cambridge Hotel   BR Audrey Parkes

Narrabri - Narrabri Park; Tourist Hotel

Narrabri Park  Tourist Hotel

On way to Millmerran - Goondawindi;  Rams Head Hotel

Goondawindi   BR Audrey Goondawindi 

Rams Head Hotel  BR Audrey Rams Head

Scooter HQ Southport - Scarabeo Sisters; Brendon, Dakoda and Self

Scarabeo Sisters   Scooter HQ

Ride Out - Scooters Scooters Fortitude Valley

Scooters Scooters   Scooters Scooters

Coolum Meetup

Coolum   Coolum 

Settlers Inn Toowoomba

Settlers Inn

On way to Moree - Giant Prickly Pear plant;  Prickly Pear Flower

BR Audrey with Prickly Pear   Prickly Pear Flower

Moree enjoying rain;  Royal Hotel

Moree in the rain   Royal Hotel

On way to Dubbo - Roadstop near Coonabarrabran; Roadhouse near Dubbo

Roadside stop    

Castlereagh Hotel Dubbo         On way to Narrandera - Forbes Park

Castlereagh Hotel   Forbes Park  

Roadstop Shelters on way to Narrandera - Narrandera Hotel

roadstop     

Narrander Hotel

On way to Port Melbourne - Elwood Canal;  Elwood Beach

Elwood Canal   Elwood Beach

BR Audrey in Ackland Street St Kilda (love the footpath parking)

Ackland St  

Waiting at Port Melbourne - In view of the Ferry;  In Boarding Queue; On Ferry

Pt Melb   In Line  

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 11-16-2009 09:54 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

Re: To Boreen Pt and back

Cant wait for the photos Mike
    DOZER.
  • 11-16-2009 10:59 PM In reply to

What an adventure, Mike! Well done.

Sorry to hear about your Scarabeo's electronics playing up. Hope it's all sorted soon.

Look forward to the pics, too.

Mack Truck
  • 11-16-2009 11:49 PM In reply to

• t2bitha
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-12-2008
    • Brisbane Suburbs
    • Posts 508

Glad to hear you made it back safely Mike.  Was great to meet up with you too.  I also am eagerly awaiting the pics.

35 000 scooting kms and beyond

www.facebook.com/VespadventuresInOz
  • 11-17-2009 01:39 AM In reply to

Glad you had a good trip shame you had to worry about electrical problems hope they fix it soon 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 11-17-2009 08:54 AM In reply to

Well done, mate. It was good to see a fellow Tasmanian carry off the furthest travelled award, too. Yes

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 11-17-2009 09:12 AM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Mike, glad you had a fantastic trip.  Well done on your adventure.

I still dont have copies of the pics that were taken at HQ, so when you get a chance I would love to see them, as well as all the others you took, and I am sure there were heaps.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 11-17-2009 09:39 AM In reply to

Thanks for coming along Mike, it was great to put a name to the face.

Boreen Point is a great event and we are looking forward to the next one already!!!

I can't wait to see your Boreen Point photos!

• 11-17-2009 09:42 AM In reply to

How many attended?

Cheers Nick.

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 11-17-2009 03:20 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Marty, Mikel, Big red Audrey, with me on her, and Brendon

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 11-18-2009 04:05 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Posts 755

dozer.:
    Cant wait for the photos Mike
    ok, they're now up.

previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 11-18-2009 04:07 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Posts 755

ColdCola:
    Sorry to hear about your Scarabeo's electronics playing up. Hope it's all sorted soon. Look forward to the pics, too.

Thanks CC.  Will be taking BR Audrey back into the workshop Monday for a major strip down and trace of the electrical system.  Will be worth it in the long run.

Mike

• 11-18-2009 04:09 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Posts 755

t2bitha:
    Was great to meet up with you too.  I also am eagerly awaiting the pics.

Thanks for your warm greetings.  Next time will allow for a longer stay to enjoy the area  Big Smile

Mike

• 11-18-2009 04:10 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Posts 755

pyrah:
    Glad you had a good trip shame you had to worry about electrical problems hope they fix it soon

Thanks, Pyrah.  They seem to have found the faulty in-built circuit, now it's a matter of rectifying it.  Mike

• 11-18-2009 04:13 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Posts 755

SharonVespaGirl:
    Well done, mate. It was good to see a fellow Tasmanian carry off the furthest travelled award, too. Yes

Thanks again for your support and encouragement. Sometimes my "butt" felt anything but iron though  Angry

Mike

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au