Scooter
Community

Scarabeo 500 new performance gear

Last post 11-22-2009 01:47 AM by adamtassell. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2009 09:06 PM

Scarabeo 500 new performance gear

Ordered is one new malossi Cam, and one new Dr pulley clutch!

Very interested to see how it goes once it is installed in the next couple of weeks.

Will post the results once they are in, probably including some speedo cam.

Hoping to drop a second to 100, but could be dreaming. Time will tell.

Adam

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 11-21-2009 10:06 PM In reply to

Re: Scarabeo 500 new performance gear

adamtassell:

Ordered is one new malossi Cam, and one new Dr pulley clutch!

Very interested to see how it goes once it is installed in the next couple of weeks.

Will post the results once they are in, probably including some speedo cam.

Hoping to drop a second to 100, but could be dreaming. Time will tell.

Adam

There is no stopping you!  I cannot wait to hear the results of this latest mad mod. Can you tell me what the J Costa variator did to the Scarabeo's real world performance? I can only imagine it made it a lot faster off the line. Does it also make a difference all through the rev range etc? I mean, say, going from 60km/h to 80km/h & from 100km/h to 150km/h?

Mack Truck
  • 11-21-2009 10:16 PM In reply to

how quick is the Scarab 500 off the line? I can imagine it would already be pretty quick since the bike is pretty light for one that size.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 11-21-2009 10:48 PM In reply to

"There is no stopping you!  I cannot wait to hear the results of this latest mad mod. Can you tell me what the J Costa variator did to the Scarabeo's real world performance? I can only imagine it made it a lot faster off the line. Does it also make a difference all through the rev range etc? I mean, say, going from 60km/h to 80km/h & from 100km/h to 150km/h?"

It makes a huge difference. When i got mine in i was not initially that impressed, but after about 3000km they seemed to wear in, and I reckon 0-100 dropped by 1.5 to 2 seconds. A huge huge difference. The bike picks up revs much faster when the throttle is opened, so it feels more responsive, and it revs harder, where it seems to make more power. So initial response, and wide open throttle are both much improved. The biggest change is between 0 and 120, and at any point in between. Overall economy seems to be unaffected (for the mixture of riding i do anyway), and the weights seem to last a long time. Mine are weighed at each service (thanks steve at ace) and they are getting some good mileage.You have seen how mine accelerates, and I reckon the variator is 70% of the change from stock. I see that with the current exchange rate you could pick up a j costa for about 350aus shipped.....

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 11-21-2009 10:50 PM In reply to

Scooternut:

how quick is the Scarab 500 off the line? I can imagine it would already be pretty quick since the bike is pretty light for one that size.

They go good stock, but you should come and ride mine and see how it goes. Now is a good time, before it gets repaired. That way if you drop it I wont even notice! I am at the office mon, wed and fri. 8-11 and 2-6, drop in and ask for the keys!Smile.

• 11-21-2009 11:17 PM In reply to

adamtassell:

"There is no stopping you!  I cannot wait to hear the results of this latest mad mod. Can you tell me what the J Costa variator did to the Scarabeo's real world performance? I can only imagine it made it a lot faster off the line. Does it also make a difference all through the rev range etc? I mean, say, going from 60km/h to 80km/h & from 100km/h to 150km/h?"

It makes a huge difference. When i got mine in i was not initially that impressed, but after about 3000km they seemed to wear in, and I reckon 0-100 dropped by 1.5 to 2 seconds. A huge huge difference. The bike picks up revs much faster when the throttle is opened, so it feels more responsive, and it revs harder, where it seems to make more power. So initial response, and wide open throttle are both much improved. The biggest change is between 0 and 120, and at any point in between. Overall economy seems to be unaffected (for the mixture of riding i do anyway), and the weights seem to last a long time. Mine are weighed at each service (thanks steve at ace) and they are getting some good mileage.You have seen how mine accelerates, and I reckon the variator is 70% of the change from stock. I see that with the current exchange rate you could pick up a j costa for about 350aus shipped.....

Thanks, Adam. So the only downside seems to be that you have to wait 3000 km for it to start making a difference. Damn, that's a long wear-in period! You have obviously found it worth the wait, though, with the large gain in acceleration ever since then.

Mack Truck
  • 11-21-2009 11:19 PM In reply to

Scooternut:

My stock Scarabeo does 0-100 in about 7.5 - 8 secs.

Adam's modified Scarabeo does it in about 5.5 - 6 secs. You can see it on youtube.

Mack Truck
  • 11-22-2009 01:47 AM In reply to

Check your email cold colaSmile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au