Scooter
Community

Search for a Scooter Mechanic in Brisbane

Last post 01-08-2010 10:48 AM by benitoscooterboy. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2009 11:16 AM

Search for a Scooter Mechanic in Brisbane

Hi there

I own a PGO bolwell bella scooter, and it just broke down on me last week. I took the bike into a workshop, and believe or not they told me it would cost more $1300 to fix the bike. All repairs are for the gearbox, new tyre, new rim and services. The scooter was working fine until I felt no power, and it turned off by itself, so that's when I thought it was time for the bike to go into the workshop. I could still turn the scooter on, but yea like I said with no power when moving. The bike is still in good condition, but yea I wasn't happy at first, since the guy told me the original quote price was $700, and then all these additional cost on top. The guy recommended to buy a second hand bike. So I decided to buy a new bike instead, but yea the price wasn't what I expected. Not only that, I couldn't get an approval for a loan from my bank, that's when it got worse for me, and had to think of another way. To be honest, it is not that easy to find a genuine and trustworthy businesses these days, so I realize that it was time to search for a scooter mechanic in Brisbane.

I was wondering if anyone would know a scooter mechanic in Brisbane who works from home? The reason being is, I don't have the funds for a second hand, new bike, or the repairs. I have to catch the bus from now on, and because I work night shift, I might have to catch the cab which would cost me more then $30 back home. I will keep looking around, so hopefully things will work out with either a new or used car or a scooter.

Many thanks in advance

CHEERS :)

• 12-16-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

Re: Search for a Scooter Mechanic in Brisbane

Danny,

Before this matter goes any further I would like to set the record straight as there are always two sides to the story. 

buckmajor:
    The scooter was working fine until I felt no power, and it turned off by itself, so that's when I thought it was time for the bike to go into the workshop. I could still turn the scooter on, but yea like I said with no power when moving. The bike is still in good condition, but yea I wasn't happy at first, since the guy told me the original quote price was $700.

FOR THE RECORD:

When you delivered your scooter to our workshop on the 10th Dec it was lying on its side on an alloy tray of a ute. I brought the ramp over to assist you in removing the scooter from the ute. We noted that the scooter wouldn’t roll forward only backwards and it felt like something had jammed inside the transmission.  On closer inspection we noted an oil seal on the output shaft was damaged and had leaked all the oil out of the gearbox. The vehicle then had been ridden without any lubrication until the bike could no longer physically move forward because the entire gearbox had welded itself together from the massive heat build up. Every bearing inside the gearbox has been destroyed as have all the rest of the components and they require replacement. We have never seen a scooter gearbox so badly damaged before.

Lever damaged from lying down on its side in the back of a ute. Broken R/H Mirror.

buckmajor:
    I took the bike into a workshop, and believe or not they told me it would cost more $1300 to fix the bike. All repairs are for the gearbox, new tyre, new rim and services.

FOR THE RECORD:

The quote for the full gearbox rebuild was $700. The additional costs were that the rear wheel was so badly buckled it was rubbing on the rear brake acuating arm. Your rear tyre was also bald, both of these items are required to maintain your scooters roadworthiness and your personal safety. Last but not least your scooter is in critical need of a full service. Our records only go back to the 10/03/2008 but the previous has only serviced the scooter once at 7,500kms and the bike now has 33,531km on the clock. You didn’t need to service the scooter but it was strongly suggested that you consider it.

This photo speaks for itself

buckmajor:
    The guy recommended to buy a second hand bike. So I decided to buy a new bike instead, but yea the price wasn't what I expected. Not only that, I couldn't get an approval for a loan from my bank, that's when it got worse for me, and had to think of another way. To be honest, it is not that easy to find a genuine and trustworthy businesses these days, so I realize that it was time to search for a scooter mechanic in Brisbane.

FOR THE RECORD:

Dave, our workshop manager suggested that considering that your scooter is in such poor condition it would be better to look at a quality used scooter rather than repairing it. You then called myself and I ran through a few new 125cc scooters that might be suitable. Your budget did not match your purchase criteria.

The fact that you were unable to secure finance is unrelated to our business. I am proud of this business and my staff and to say it is hard to find a “genuine and trustworthy business” is a cop out when we strive daily to excel the standards set by others scooter business.

I think you need to come and collect your scooter today.

Regards,

Ben Silver

gearbox cover - note all the sparkly stuff, that’s little pieces of you gears and bearings

Inner gearbox housing – more ex-bearing sparkle.

Output shaft with absolutely stuffed main bearing with missing balls and shattered cage. The hypoid gear has been so badly worn from lack of oil it’s almost blue and the teeth have nearly worn through.

• 12-16-2009 11:08 AM In reply to

Angry I hope he looks after his pets better than is scooter Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-16-2009 12:25 PM In reply to

Hi Ben

Good to hear from you again. I apologize if (scooterlife or scooter scooters) have been offended by my statement. However, I am only a customer with little understanding about scooters. To throw $1300 dollars at someone face for repairs, has led me to find out other quotes. I rang around at other bikes/scooters store, and all them have recommended scooterlife is the only place who fixes scooters. So pretty much scooterlife is the only place that I know who fixes scooters in Brisbane??

Now this is nothing personal, and I am not trying to expose or belittle scooterlife.

NOW LET ME SET RECORD STRAIGHT!!

1. First of all, the original quote Dave told me was $700 for the gearbox (or what ever). However, the second phone call I made was to confirm the original quote, but that's when it took me by surprise; $1300 for the gearbox, new rim, new tyre and to service the bike. I was very surprise, so I needed to way up my options either repairing the bike, or buying a second hand or a brand new scooter. So that's when I started calling around, but then it wasn't what I expected for a new scooters, price range from $3000 +. So if you read my first post, I was trying to apply for a new loan to actually buy a new scooter but then more bad news occur when my application was disapproved (long story).

2. The mirror was already broken before it even got onto the ute.

3. Was the scooter gearbox affected by the rim? That happended last year, but I managed to dent it back and been riding it since upto last week.

I have been a very happy customer with scooterlife,. I only signed up here to asked for some advice, "if there was a scooter mechanic who works from home", this is a personal reason, I need to find out details of why it would cost that much. Then I can surely be convinced when you throw $1300 for repairs.

My deepest apologies, and I meant no disrepect to (scooterlife or scooters scooters).

Kind regards

Danny

• 12-16-2009 02:09 PM In reply to

Danny,

I do not conduct company matters on a public forum and I responded to your initial complaint/post to provide public clarity to your issue.

My number is (07) 3252 5551. 

Regards, 

Ben Silver

• 12-16-2009 04:17 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

I would say very likely the damage was caused by the rim

The whack that damaged that rim would have tweaked the shaft and if the shaft is not running true then its going to over work the seal in which case you will have an oil leak

Even if it didnt damage the shaft the vibration caused by that wheel will of, I think if you got them to fix the gearbox and not the wheel then in 6mths you will be wheeling, dragging it back in there front door

The ironic thing is , if you had brought it in for a service they would have most likely found the problem and you would have been up for a much reduced bill

• 12-18-2009 02:44 PM In reply to

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the phone call, and the clarification. Now I know that scooterlife is the only scooter mechnic in Brisbane, it makes it harder to seek for other quotes since scooterlife has no competitors or competition in Brisbane. Meaning there is no guaranteed a price is genuine. This is a personl matter, and I feel a lot more confident when I am able to hear 2 or more advice on a quote.

At this stage, it really doesn't matter now, now that I decided to save up for brand new bike.

CHEERS!

• 12-18-2009 03:58 PM In reply to

Before you get a new bike i suggest you get a copy of this cheap book

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-18-2009 10:14 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

buckmajor:

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the phone call, and the clarification. Now I know that scooterlife is the only scooter mechnic in Brisbane, it makes it harder to seek for other quotes since scooterlife has no competitors or competition in Brisbane. Meaning there is no guaranteed a price is genuine. This is a personl matter, and I feel a lot more confident when I am able to hear 2 or more advice on a quote.

At this stage, it really doesn't matter now, now that I decided to save up for brand new bike.

CHEERS!

I hope for everybodies sake that you learn to have more respect for whatever you ride on the road as it will also reflect in the way you ride on the road.

respect and care for the bike = respect and care for yourself and fellow road users.

No respect or care for the bike = an accident looking for a place to occure.

My suggestion is to spend time on this forum or others and learn what respect and care means.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 12-19-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

Danny,

There are other places for you to go and there is plenty of options to confirm a "Genuine Price". 

Iscooter - 07 3391 7000

Brisbane Motorcycles - 07 3357 4333

Midtown Kawasaki - 07 3252 2115

Regards,

Ben Silver

• 12-19-2009 01:44 PM In reply to

buckmajor:
    The bike is still in good condition..... The reason being is, I don't have the funds for a second hand, new bike, or the repairs.
    Sorry Buckmajor, but your scoot doesn't look like it is in good condition. Look after your stuff, and these things will rarely become an issue. Spend a few bucks giving your scoot some TLC at the dealer every now and then, and the oil leak would have been identified and fixed- and you'd still be on the road.

• 12-20-2009 06:32 AM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

Buckmajor there is something you need to realsie when dealing with mechanical workshops - they are bound by a duty of care not to allow unroadworty vehicles to leave there premise unless towed. If you were to take a car into a service centre & for example they say that the steering has a collapsed bush, if they let you drive away in that vehicle after identifying that problem they are liable should you have an accident. This is why all good mechanics will go over a vehicle & look for problems - it's not that they want to make more money (well....they do consider it a bonus Stick out tongue) it's just that they are covering their buts. This is often the reason you'll get a quote & it may change after they've been working on it & found underlying problems that weren't visible on first inspection.

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 12-20-2009 09:56 AM In reply to

buckmajor,,, there has got to be some award that your entitled to... I am in awe of how Ducked up ur ride is.Stick out tongue.. it will take a while til we something in such a Sh!t condition again..Big Smile

Monza Gone
    Orbit Gone
    GP1 Gone
  • 01-06-2010 07:09 PM In reply to

• Rossi46
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-25-2009
    • Richlands Qld
    • Posts 7

I must say, that it is quite unfortunate that scooterlife/scooters scooters (all scooter shops in brisbane are owned by Joe) have no other competion unless you go to the gold, or sunshine coast, therefore, they have a monopoly- and if you don't like their service, you're stuffed.

• 01-07-2010 11:16 AM In reply to

Dear Bruce,

Rossi46:
    I must say, that it is quite unfortunate that scooterlife/scooters scooters (all scooter shops in Brisbane are owned by Joe) have no other competition unless you go to the gold, or sunshine coast, therefore, they have a monopoly- and if you don't like their service, you're stuffed.

It is shame to see this sort negativity suggesting that everything is owned by one person, myself. Business has never been harder and we require the support of our loyal customers who help us continue to help them. My last competitor at Woolloongabba has just also recently closed due to the market downturn making them the last in a long line of scooter shops to close their doors in Brisbane. Each time there is another store closure there are more and more customers displaced by broken promises and a lack of on going support. A lot of smaller (some might say no-name) brands have been affected and in some cases larger brands have suffered due to the collapse of an importer network. My business has sold over 12,000 scooters over the years and without this level of market penetration the scooter industry would still be fledgling one! 

We are not immune from the market downturn either, we have already closed Scootopia Grange and plan to close Scootopia Annerley with in the coming months, effectively closing a scooter icon within the industry. The Scootopia brand was the first ever stand alone scooter shop name that started off the scooter-only shop you see today. We are planning on consolidating our business to ensure we are here to not displace our customers and force them to seek servicing with uninterested motorcycle stores who don't understand what scooterists want. If it wasn't for my other interest in the property market, Scooterlife would have closed its doors last April for the simple fact that we aren't making money. If we weren't here who would look after the scooter market? When you mention that it is "unfortunate" that everything is owned by Joe (me), do you mean it is unfortunate that I have invested my hard earned money to keep a business open to help other people? With all the monies I have invested in this business and ensuring customer satisfaction (and there are plenty who are) I would get far more return by just putting my money in the bank! I am a little confused.  

My rent alone is currently $10,000 a month and costs me $328 a day (even the days we aren't open for business) my collective outgoings are over $100,000 per month. Since Brisbane is a larger sprawling city we need to be located centrally for the benefit of our customers, unfortunately we can't be located in a back alley in some fringe suburb paying peanuts for rent, if I could, I would. Furthermore to this 2010 will be the year that I will be taking a back seat within my company, I will be here on a limited basis due to the fact that we will be down to one store, Ben Silver has been with the company for some years now and will be Scooterlife's general manager. His ability to look after Scooterlife will mean I can concentrate on other projects outside the scooter industry and provide financial stability for my company and hopefully some long term stability within the Brisbane scooter market. I personally do care about the scooter industry within Australia, I have strived to put scooters on the map, I have enjoyed what scooters mean and this is something that most other Scooter store owners would also share with me.    

It is unfortunate though that we have this sort of negativity and this is generally what we see on this forum, a bagging match. Bruce, you have bought some scooters from me in the past and supported every other scooter shop around other than us since then. I have no problem that you did this but I do get upset that when every other company goes bust owing collectively millions of dollars to suppliers, staff super contributions and the tax man and then I hear people come out to say that it is unfortunate that we are the only ones left and complain about it. If it was so easy then there would be more shops around, could I suggest a maybe a career change for you? Everything is for sale! For the record I hold close to $250,000 worth of parts to try and help all of our customers and get them back on the road as fast as possible and usually the same day. I am not the only one affected by the downturn, my loyal staff who provide the best quality service are also affected. How they feel and also stress about their job security has been a problem and we have shed staff already and more will have to go when the time comes in the best interest of the business. My staff also have families, mortgages and other financial commitments and if I don't make money neither to they. Lastly but not least when you go to work everyday do you work for nothing and does the business that employs you do it for profit or is it a charity? Profit is not a dirty word, ask all the people who have owned scooter shops and whose lively hood have gone down the drain if they had been profitable would they have closed down? NO! I guess I must be very lucky to have other business interest!

Regards

Joe D’Ercole - AKA “The big bad wolf” as I have also been referred too!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au