Scooter
Community

NSW Safety Cameras

Last post 01-24-2010 04:52 PM by TasCam. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-19-2010 05:16 PM

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

NSW Safety Cameras

The NSW Government is now installing red light/speed cameras in one.

The first has already gone in at Haberfield. The new signage refers only to “Safety Camera Ahead” and there is only one sign on approach.

It is planned to convert all existing red light cameras and some school zones.

The government intends to install 200 over the next four years. The below link has the first 50 locations.

More information is available on the RTA website at: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/safetycameras/

and at: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/speedandspeedcameras/safetycameras/safety_camera_faqs.html

So don’t speed up to go through the traffic lights. If you avoid the red light camera you will still be done for speeding.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-20-2010 12:45 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 252

Re: NSW Safety Cameras

Wasn't South Australia turning all their traffic cameras into speeding, rego-checking, and Learner-checking cameras?

• 01-20-2010 06:54 AM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

I actually believe that all Traffic Lights should be three in one.  The technology is there.  Traffic Lights/Red Light Camera/Speed Camera all in one.

And before you all jump up and down about revenue raising, just look at the news over the last 3 to 4 weeks.  How many deaths have been attributed to speeding?

It is not a revenue raiser if you actually do the speed limit.

Cheers

Aaron

2015 Matte Black Vespa GTS300
    2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 01-20-2010 07:34 AM In reply to

AaronPM:

And before you all jump up and down about revenue raising, just look at the news over the last 3 to 4 weeks.  How many deaths have been attributed to speeding?

Better question might be, how many of these deaths have been *caused* by speeding? Of course any accident can be attributed to speed because obviously if all vehicles were stationary they would never collide with anything, but I don't think that's a valid excuse for bringing more revenue rising, yes - revenue rising cameras.

• 01-20-2010 08:00 AM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

ferrix:
    but I don't think that's a valid excuse for bringing more revenue rising, yes - revenue rising cameras

How is it a revenue raising camera if peole actually do the speed limit and obey the road laws?

Cheers

Aaron

2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 01-20-2010 08:10 AM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

AaronPM:

ferrix:
    but I don't think that's a valid excuse for bringing more revenue rising, yes - revenue rising cameras

How is it a revenue raising camera if peole actually do the speed limit and obey the road laws?

Someone in the 'Safety Poster' thread was talking about taking responsibility for your own actions.... this is certainly one of those cases.

(No.. I don't mean petitioning to the government to remove speed cameras...)

I've been driving for 9 years, and I've never gotten a speeding fine, nor have I been late to work out of my own fault. Government can put as many speed cameras down as they want for all I care - it's those bloody traffic lights and bazillion intersectiosn on a main road that are the problem... average speed to work is 20km/h anyway (Sydney)... just don't bring down the speed limits again.

Wilson

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 01-20-2010 08:19 AM In reply to

• AaronPM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-21-2008
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 269

wleung:

Someone in the 'Safety Poster' thread was talking about taking responsibility for your own actions.... this is certainly one of those cases.

(No.. I don't mean petitioning to the government to remove speed cameras...)

I've been driving for 9 years, and I've never gotten a speeding fine, nor have I been late to work out of my own fault. Government can put as many speed cameras down as they want for all I care - it's those bloody traffic lights and bazillion intersectiosn on a main road that are the problem... average speed to work is 20km/h anyway (Sydney)... just don't bring down the speed limits again.

Wilson

Whole heartdly agree, I admit, I have been booked for speeding, but hey thats my fault, I knew what the speed limit was and I chose to break the law.  At the same time, I am not going to bleet about how the government is trying to trap me.  (Mind you, have not been booked for nearly 4 years now)

If people don't want to get booked, dont speed.  If people want to speed, join a racing club and do it properly.

Cheers

Aaron

PS: Sydney traffic sucks, but it could be worse.. Try driving in any major city in China or India :D

2008 VESPA LX-150 - SOLD

BLACK IS THE NEW BLACK
  • 01-20-2010 08:46 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

From Peter Thoeming at Road Rider

Full story here

The focus of enforcement is imbalanced and ineffective, being primarily focused on speed. The reality is that exceeding the speed limit causes a very low percentage of road fatalities. Australian university research has shown that preventing every vehicle from exceeding the speed limit by means of GPS speed controllers would reduce road fatalities by less than 8 per cent and reduce road injuries by less than 6 per cent. It is not appropriate to focus on the cause of less than 8 per cent of fatalities and to ignore the causes for 92 per cent of road fatalities.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 01-20-2010 08:47 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,087

allen:

So don’t speed up to go through the traffic lights. If you avoid the red light camera you will still be done for speeding.

Thats a good tip Allen. Thanks

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 01-20-2010 08:50 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

The thing I find annoying is the variation in speed and the need to know what each road is that your traveling on. Ive made the mistake in uncommon areas of traveling at 60 and not realising the road is actually 50. This has cost me a few dollars and points in the process.

So one error on Sydney's roads can cause a whole heap of pain. That is my issue with all this. Ive given up even even thinking of speeding around Sydney as most of the major roads are heavily policed anyway. 

We have 12 points in total - I lost 6 at once one day doing 51 in a 40 zone - I just didn't realise.  So for the mistake of missing the 40 sign in a small confined targeted point I lost half my points.

This is the issue I have with it. The first lights are going into Haberfield and the RTA knows that this road goes from 70 back to 60 but the flow of traffic here is constant and most of the time pretty quick. 

Your looking around a heap on a scooter or bike to try and adjust to whats happening around you , this will just be another factor. 

So I haven't been booked for a while now due to the fact I take the policy that anything not arterial is 50.

But I do question the lights being run by the RTA (not police) as revenue.

I think most people are taking the approach that you just cant speed anymore.

These sad instances of people of being killed on our country roads due to speed and fatigue, now thats an issue

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-20-2010 10:23 AM In reply to

Jax:
    The focus of enforcement is imbalanced and ineffective, being primarily focused on speed

The insurance industry has known the biggest cause of accident in Australia for years - Driver Attention by a long shot.

Problem is you can't police it or fine it. How many times have you heard stories with "Sorry but I didn't see... "

They need to train the next generation in attention & the consequences of not paying attention. GPS speed limiting devices will kill more than they will save I think. I've had to blat my way out of trouble on more than a few occassions (courtesy of drivers who didn't see me) cutting the engine half way through would have had me in deep trouble.

I agree with camera in school zones, the rest of it is more revenue raising than safety. The proof of this in in what they do with the revenue, not invested in roads or safety, it goes into "the bucket".

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-20-2010 01:42 PM In reply to

"Obey the rules" 

it only works in a controlled unrealistic environment... there are times for my own safety and the safety of others that I have broken the law.  At least 2 times if I had not broken the law someone would have likely died.

The big issue I have with the red/speeding combo camera is that people are going to be slamming on their brakes now and causing rear end collisions.  The natural instict when a light goes orange is to have the evaluate the situation... 

- is someone on my tail

- is it safer for me to go through the orange 

- do i have enough room to go through

If someone is a local and aware of the red light/speed combo on an intersection they are likely to just slam on the brakes now without making a correct assessment of the situation.  

I think it is just another step towards a false hope of a "Safe" society... life is dangerous... always has been, always will be.  People get sick, people catch germs, people make mistakes, people die, people get injured, people break things.  IT IS ALL A PART OF LIFE!!!!!!

Trying to get rid of "danger" from every part of life is stupid it's all part of the mass fear campaign that rages from those in power... create a need for your being in charge because you can protect the people from "danger"!!!!  

Be scared of the enemy (german/japanese/russian/korean/middle eastern), the cold war, the hole in the ozone layer, the global warming, the terrorists, the $$$ meltdown... blah blah blah...

how about they just piss off and let me ride Stick out tongue

Man I am a conspiracy theorist! :)  

I agree with you HQ... cameras in school zones and that should be it... WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!  Dog

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 01-20-2010 02:13 PM In reply to

• wleung
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-22-2009
    • Western Sydney
    • Posts 518

Nothing wrong with revenue raising :D... the government needs money to do stuff no?

bunnybash:

- is someone on my tail

- is it safer for me to go through the orange 

- do i have enough room to go through

Just go through without accelerating. If it's like the normal red light cameras, they don't arm until a good second or two after the light turns red. If someone is tailgating you stupidly, then you will get out of the fine (especially if you are on a motorcycle).

bunnybash:
    If someone is a local and aware of the red light/speed combo on an intersection they are likely to just slam on the brakes now without making a correct assessment of the situation.  

Not a problem... I will have a 2-3sec gap behind them right? It would be your fault if you ran into them. Common insurance claim, standard blame procedures apply.

bunnybash:
    at least 2 times if I had not broken the law someone would have likely died.

Fair enough... but some people break the law all the time, and are ok with it.

bunnybash:
    .. cameras in school zones and that should be it... WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

There is just as much evidence suggesting that cameras are as useless in school zones as in normal places. Children just get hit outside the 40 zones on the way to school. That and children are everywhere, not just around schools. I also do not expect high school students to sprint across 80km/h zones without looking left and right neither (Epping Road).... but meh... 40km/h zone it is.

There's always two-sides to the coin..... it's hard to weigh the convenience of a few thousand motorists against the unmeasurable amount of lives it may or may not save.

A motorcyclist friend believes that all speed cameras should be at intersections only, and no where else (i.e. straight pieces of road).  I will say that this makes some sense. Do a lot of unavoidable motorcycle accidents happen at intersections? Does Melbourne do this?

Wilson

Exs: CB250, GS500, DL650, Espresso 150, Triumph Street Triple, ZZR250, CB900F Hornet
    Current: CBR125R / Piaggio Fly 150 3V
  • 01-20-2010 02:29 PM In reply to

wleung:
    Just go through without accelerating. If it's like the normal red light cameras, they don't arm until a good second or two after the light turns red. If someone is tailgating you stupidly, then you will get out of the fine (especially if you are on a motorcycle

We shouldn't be having to take this into account. It's either safe or not safe. Don't want to have to evaluate "Is there a camera/" stop & get nailed from behind. If someone is tailgating stupidly you have to remove that threat.

Unlike cars we have no protective cage around us. I have no time for political correctness when my ass & the ass of my passenger is on the line.

Ever wondered why they don't have many speed camera's in the USA?

Everyone has guns. I hear tcamera's would make good target practice

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 01-20-2010 02:39 PM In reply to

A couple of things they could do to help motorist Count down clocks on traffic lights so you know when they are going to turn red & coloured road line markings for different speed zones 

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au