Scooter
Community

Scooters on the Narrows Bridge?

Last post 01-25-2011 12:51 PM by steve@ace. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2010 12:28 PM

Scooters on the Narrows Bridge?

Hi, I just joined.. proud owner of my first scooter, a second-hand Honda Lead 100. :)

Just wondering, since the speed limit over the Narrows Bridge here in Perth is 80km/h, is it OK for scooters to use, to South Perth and back? Or are we limited to the Causeway?

Cheers!

• 01-27-2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: Scooters on the Narrows Bridge?

According to here on WA freeways the minimum speed is 20ks below maximum posted speed so in theory if you can do 60kph and felt confident you could use the bridge

• 01-27-2010 01:01 PM In reply to

Thanks! omg, the freeway has a Wikipedia entry.. how bizarre. Someone must have been bored at work. :)

As a car driver, I've always wondered why the limit was 80 for so much of the way... now I know, it's so that scooters can use it! :)

• 01-27-2010 05:32 PM In reply to

legally "mopeds" or 50cc scooters aren't allowed on the freeway, or Reid Hwy, no matter what speed you're able to do or what the speed zone is. I use that stretch fairly regularly, sometimes on my 250cc scooter other times in my car, & have found that even if you're doing the 80 speed limit you're still fair game for tailgating, road rage etc Very few people do the speed limit. Forget the speed limit, you need to be able to, at the very least, keep up with what the other traffic is doing.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 01-27-2010 05:58 PM In reply to

Honda Lead is not a Moped

• 01-27-2010 06:01 PM In reply to

Nuts.. sounds scary. It's a Honda Lead 100, so does 70km/h quite easily. Apparently it can make it to 80 or 90, but I haven't tried yet - these scoots are a bit light to be that safe at speed.

Funny place, Perth. Other cities/countries have heaps of scooters, chaotic traffic, but very little aggro. Driving in Sydney, it's hectic, but people let you in, as long as you're efficient about it. Here, you almost have to fight for your road rights. Bizarre.

• 01-27-2010 06:18 PM In reply to

pyrah:
    Honda Lead is not a Moped

I thought a scooter and moped meant the same thing? Why is the Lead not a moped?

• 01-27-2010 07:34 PM In reply to

Moped is now a LA class vehicle which is less than 50cc and restricted to 50kph (60kph in WA i believe) and can in some states be ridden on a car license . Your bike with the 102cc engine is a scooter

• 01-27-2010 10:29 PM In reply to

nascentrider:

Nuts.. sounds scary. It's a Honda Lead 100, so does 70km/h quite easily. Apparently it can make it to 80 or 90, but I haven't tried yet - these scoots are a bit light to be that safe at speed.

Funny place, Perth. Other cities/countries have heaps of scooters, chaotic traffic, but very little aggro. Driving in Sydney, it's hectic, but people let you in, as long as you're efficient about it. Here, you almost have to fight for your road rights. Bizarre.

You're right on both counts. Your Lead isn't a "moped" legally, being above 50cc, although other road users won't recognise the difference. You also need to fight for your road space & often for your right to use that space. It can be scary at times but it's also a hell of a lot of fun!

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-04-2010 04:44 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Moped is now a LA class vehicle which is less than 50cc and restricted to 50kph (60kph in WA i believe) and can in some states be ridden on a car license . Your bike with the 102cc engine is a scooter

Nope. The top speed of a moped is still 50kmh in WA.  Its just that you can ride them up to 60kmh on your car license, even though they aren't supposed to go faster than 50kmh.  And yes, we know it doesn't make sense.

From a licensing/registration perspective you'll find that any scooter bigger than 50cc is considered a motorcycle (albeit an automatic one), whereas a moped is considered a scooter.  More confusion? You betcha! We tried to register an X7 300 but couldn't because it had been set up as a scooter, but that didn't correspond with the fee type/insurance class, until they changed it to being a motorbike. 

And people wonder why they can't get a definitive answer when they phone up the Licensing department to find out information!

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 02-04-2010 08:49 PM In reply to

and that's why I tell people who ask me about the DPI & licensing to talk with you, because you know more than the DPI!

Wanda
  • 02-04-2010 09:26 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

The DPI are bit stupid on the licensing classes on the motorbike / scooter , I personally think they are way behind the times , Paggio x7 300 is a excellent scooter /motorbike , They should change the RE / RE-A license may be up to 660cc / or 150kw tonne power to weight ratio  , to keep up with massive incoming of the 300cc class scooters. As the old saying goes ' Nothing ever changes at the DPI , it always stays the same ' boring .....?????? .

• 02-04-2010 11:17 PM In reply to

Big Smile Don't worry you will get LAMS sometime LOL Big Smile

• 05-04-2010 04:15 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Big Smile Don't worry you will get LAMS sometime LOL Big Smile

don't worry we are working on it.

argentum melle
  • 06-14-2010 11:00 PM In reply to

steve@ace:
    And people wonder why they can't get a definitive answer when they phone up the Licensing department to find out information!

Tell me why I should upgrade my license to R class before the state goes to LAMS instead of waiting for the change over & being able to ride bigger scoots without having to go through the test again?

Wanda
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au