Scooter
Community

Lane Filtering at Red Traffic Lights

Last post 02-12-2008 11:31 AM by G-SCOOTA. 45 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2008 10:32 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Re: Lane Filtering at Red Traffic Lights

Ok, got a sort of confirmation on this topic this afternoon.

As most know, I take Boundary Road on the way home and go under the Pacific Motorway.  Well this afternoon, I followed a motorcycle policeman for about 3 km up to that set of lights just before you go under the motorway.

As I was a bit behind him, he had filtered to the front, past about 8 cars in each lane.  So I did too!

He had moved over to the right so I pulled up on his left.  He checked his mirrors, noticed me, and went back to waiting for the lights to change.

They went green, he missed the light, and I was off and down the road.

He turned down the next street so did not follow me.  No fine, no nothing.

I suppose though I could have just been lucky and got a policeman that could not be bothered but i did it, and got away with it Big Smile

Wife first, scooters and birds second.
    Got to remember that order......

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 02-10-2008 09:06 PM In reply to

Yes, it is technically illegal to overtake on the left of another vehicle and that's what we do when we filter at traffic lights past stationary cars.  It will be very unusual for the police to book you for it as the police bike riders are taught to do it (lane filtering, not lane splitting at speed) during their 4 week training course and are consistently doing it themselves.  I see them do it regularly and unless you are being a dangerous twit, expect not to be booked (well in Victoria anyway).  

• 02-10-2008 10:53 PM In reply to

G-SCOOTA:

Yes, it is technically illegal to overtake on the left of another vehicle and that's what we do when we filter at traffic lights past stationary cars.  It will be very unusual for the police to book you for it as the police bike riders are taught to do it (lane filtering, not lane splitting at speed) during their 4 week training course and are consistently doing it themselves.  I see them do it regularly and unless you are being a dangerous twit, expect not to be booked (well in Victoria anyway).  

The difference is the police have an exemption in regard to lane filtering and many other road rules when driving or riding.

Quoting a Victorian Police Officer:  (speaking as an Official Spokesman)

I do not have to be chasing someone or flashing my lights and sirens. I can move through the traffic to ensure those around me are complying with the road rules ie seat belts, mobile phones etc. Once I reach the lights, I can also check for this with the passing traffic as well as red lights etc  Police have an exemption under the road rules to lane split, civillians do not. If you lane split knowing the cops are there, you're kind of asking to be booked.

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 02-10-2008 11:44 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Well I was lucky then Indifferent

But it would take a pretty mean cop to book you for doing it.  Like the one that booked me for flashing to warn of a radar, was about 20 years ago though Angry

The 125cc Bug Agility is rather ill, may be terminal so onto the Mighty Mio 100!
  • 02-11-2008 07:24 AM In reply to

kiwiscoota:

G-SCOOTA:

The difference is the police have an exemption in regard to lane filtering and many other road rules when driving or riding.

Quoting a Victorian Police Officer:  (speaking as an Official Spokesman)

I do not have to be chasing someone or flashing my lights and sirens. I can move through the traffic to ensure those around me are complying with the road rules ie seat belts, mobile phones etc. Once I reach the lights, I can also check for this with the passing traffic as well as red lights etc  Police have an exemption under the road rules to lane split, civillians do not. If you lane split knowing the cops are there, you're kind of asking to be booked.

I can understand that and I appreciate there is an exemption that applies, but it would be very hypocritical of a police motorcyclist to book someone for it considering they do it all the time. Similar to using a mobile phone...........under Road Rule 300, police are completely exempt from using a hand held mobile phone when driving. I have never seen a copper using one whilst driving, but it does set a bad example don't you think if there were, then pull someone over around the corner for the same thing? I doubt very much that a copper would book a sensible motorcyclist for making headway and lane filtering at traffic lights if it was done at a safe speed and sensibly. Common sense must apply to the reasonable application of traffic laws.
  • 02-11-2008 07:53 AM In reply to

If you read some of the Australian motorcycle forums, you will see a lot of discussion on this subject and the complaints from a huge number of riders that do get booked for traffic light filtering.

Lets make this clear, there is no legal distinction between traffic light filtering or lane splitting.

I'm not saying that I do not filter through the traffic at traffic lights,  but we all need to be aware that it is illegal and the fact that you are following a police officer doing the same is not a legal defence. 

Deklan 

“It’s not the destination but the journey”
    Vespa GT200 in Grigio (Smokey Grey)

• 02-11-2008 01:13 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

Geez, when I joined up here I did not realise how much of an unlawful bunch you were!

I mean, derestricting 50cc scooters, lane filtering, riding without registration, painting cages at traffic lights!

No wonder I am feeling a bit rebelious Wink

• 02-11-2008 01:33 PM In reply to

Just on Saturday I did my learner permit (Vic) and I wanted to know about this filtering at traffic lights . Two days prior I did the first part of the course and had a different instructor. He said it was ok as long as it was safe to do so.On Saturday we had the senior Intsructor and owner of the training company and he said its illegal.

• 02-11-2008 02:07 PM In reply to

FreedomSeeker:

Just on Saturday I did my learner permit (Vic) and I wanted to know about this filtering at traffic lights . Two days prior I did the first part of the course and had a different instructor. He said it was ok as long as it was safe to do so.On Saturday we had the senior Intsructor and owner of the training company and he said its illegal.

Yes, like I have stated, the text book answer is that it is illegal but I know literally hundreds of people/family friends that do it sensibly and do not and have never been booked for it.  It's something the police just turn a blind eye to.  I have never heard of anyone being booked for it. 

• 02-11-2008 02:11 PM In reply to

I know what you mean.  I also suspect that some of the people on this forum may have smoked pot. Surprise

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 02-11-2008 02:18 PM In reply to

steve@ace:

I know what you mean.  I also suspect that some of the people on this forum may have smoked pot. Surprise

...LOL!  never before or whilst riding, though. 

LX150
  • 02-11-2008 02:58 PM In reply to

• Scott
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-07-2007
    • Brisbane South
    • Posts 1,702

steve@ace:

Are you doing it now Steve?

It is the only way I can explain getting from scooter riding legal technicalities to pot Huh?

• 02-11-2008 03:15 PM In reply to

Scott:

steve@ace:

Are you doing it now Steve?

It is the only way I can explain getting from scooter riding legal technicalities to pot Huh?

Like Bill Clinton, I may have once, but I didn't inhale Wink

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 02-11-2008 10:17 PM In reply to

3rd day on my scooter and filtered for the first time (that's Monday peak hour for you!!). Found the trucks a bit disconcerting (although v slow and predictable which was good). If I hadn't filtered I may as well have driven - pointless. Anyway, the thing I was thinking about was aggro from car drivers. I didn't receive any but then I was moving and they weren't. Has anyone got any stories about grumpy drivers and filtering??

• 02-12-2008 02:00 AM In reply to

• r4vi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane, Queensland
    • Posts 170

Ok, my story about EXTREME filtering and semi-kind hearted coppers...

A couple months ago, me be riding home from work (this is pre-redundancy).  I'm going south on Beaudesert Rd, as I go past Compton RD the traffic is backed up for a couple kilometres so I think "ah why not?" - slip onto verge and ride for about 1 1/2 km.  Then me sees the two coppers with motorbikes stopped on the side of the road, one talking to a biker.  "Oh bugger - this is gonna suck..." - me stops and fiddles with phone, then rides up to them, get pulled over.

Mr Plod asks me what I was doing - me explains how my phone was ringing and me was looking for a safe place to stop for check phone and call back.  Mr Plod believes this not one bit - can't really blame him as it was crap all the way...He crabby by now and yells at me for a bit...Walks off back to his bike.

He checks up on radio, find out me on Good Driving Behaviour bond for loss of points (me bad boy) - he comes back and slaps me with an $80 fine for not staying within my lane, and thankfully no points.  Me explain that me a twat and me will ride safely from now on.  He goes to let me go - then asks what capacity scooter is.  Me on Runna, so me say "it's a 50 mate" - he has a double-take at the Gianelli exhaust, then says "ok, off you go"...Me then finds it extremely hard to pull off quietly into traffic and keep throttled back until about 1km away from him...

It's not the first time me been spotted by ecilops along that stretch - one other time me followed motorbike for about 5km on verge 'cos traffic was stopped dead - we went past a pursuit car, which was funny as the bike rider throttled off, realised he was best off keeping on going...Me did same.  Ecilop flicked on flashy lights, decided it wasn't worth it, and turned 'em off...You think me would learn from that...

Don't try any of that at home kids...Why you think me have no points?

G-Max owners get a better ride :-)
Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au