Scooter
Community

Yamaha Aerox 100 modifications and possible problems

Last post 09-02-2010 03:34 PM by mickel66. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2010 12:56 AM

Yamaha Aerox 100 modifications and possible problems

Hello I have a 2002 Aerox 100, I have on it, Malossi Multivar, Malossi 22mm carb kit, Taiwan 112 cc cylinder/piston kit and stroker crank (purchased through ebay), Malossi kevlar belt, Tecnigas RS exhaust.. Malossi fly clutch.

After having done all these mods to it, and yes I pretty much did them all in one go so I have no reference other than the pretty run down scooter I started off with. Anyways, I seem to be having a problem getting the performance others who have done similar mods are getting. The scooter can get up to about 8000 rpm, and about 80 km/h at that point, and then it just seems to hit a wall. Others who have done similar mods are claiming 120 km/h and rpm well above 9000.

Now, granted I seem to be a bit ... erm .... bigger than some others, I weigh 100 kilo, but the performance drops seems really drastic to me.

I have tried just about every configuartion of contra spring Malossi reinforced (which came with the multivar), Malossi super reinforced, and Malossi racing (the red ones). I have tried just about every set of clutch springs (malossi sport and racing 3 sets each).

At present I am running the following. Rollers 8.3g, Contra spring Malossi reinforced, Clutch springs white (they came with the multivar if I recall properly)

I know one of the other guys who has modified his aerox had a problem with a heavily worn rear pulley assembly which was causing him some grief, I am wondering if this could be a similar problem as he had far fewer km on his scooter than on mine.

I have also had some tell me that I should be running a 25mm carb or bigger, as the scooter is now about 125 cc with the cylinder and stroker crank.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions (other than loose weight, cause i'm trying .... pizza is so good though!)

thanks

Chris

• 04-20-2010 08:42 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

Re: Yamaha Aerox 100 modifications and possible problems

Was the big bore cylinder designed to run with a stroker crank

• 04-22-2010 08:13 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

waxhead:

Was the big bore cylinder designed to run with a stroker crank

And many other questions along similar lines to this..........you'll probably find the performance issue you're having is not related to the ancillaries that are bolted on, rather the engine in it's current form is making as much power as it will ever make. Since I started stripping down my Monza engine & rebuilding it I've learned 2 stroke engines are not as simple as people make them out to be - especially getting extra power out of them.

2010 PGO X-Hot 150cc - clocking up the kays
    2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
    2005 Vmoto Monza 50cc - in the rebuild phase
    2002 Aprilia SR50 50cc - currently out on loan
  • 04-22-2010 08:28 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

Yay , this man speaks the truth 

Alot of people have made alot of mistakes trying to get these things to make power

• 04-25-2010 12:57 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies. I did buy them from ebay, from a seller in Taiwan, the parts are sold as a set, and both the product description, and the sellers comments indicat they are designed to work together.

There is another person on here, if you check out the Aerox 100 blog, who has done basically all the same mods, but decided not to go with the stroker crank. He claims to be getting 120km/h+. Unfortunately he has not posted any comments in several months, and I did not get a reply when I sent him a message asking some questions.

Acceleration is good, once powerband is reached,  though it is a bit slow off the mark, as I would expect with the white clutch springs in place.

I have marked the pulleys front and back to make sure the belt is moving through the full range, and they are. 

Heavier weights wont help, as the pulleys are moving through full range already.  Lighter weights should give me quicker acceleration, but top speed would be achieved at a higher rpm, assuming the weights are heavy enough to force the rear pulley apart. If they are not heavy enough, acceleration should be very quick, but maximum top speed would not be reached.

That all sounds correct?

So lets assume all with the engine is correct, the transmission is correct, the only that would limit me then is the rpm of the engine. If some others are reporting 9k + rpm, but weigh a good deal lighter, is it possible, that my engine is in fact making similar power, but is unable to turn everything at the same rpm due to the additional load on the scooter. And if so, would moving to a 25mm carb make any difference at all?

I am prepared to accept the fact that I am chasing a lost cause, and should just be happy with what I have got.

Just when I did up my Zuma a few years back, the results were, very dramatic, and I was quite happy with it. Really cant see what could be wrong with my set up.

• 04-25-2010 12:43 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

nqscoot:

There is another person on here, if you check out the Aerox 100 blog, who has done basically all the same mods, but decided not to go with the stroker crank.

Straight away there is possibility of a discrepency - you might have the same diam. bore kit as this other person, but if the port map is not the same then you won't achieve what he/she has. Even the slightest difference in the exhaust port shape will change the engine RPM characteristics. Also, if you have smaller transfer & boost ports that will also choke the engine at higher RPM.

nqscoot:

So lets assume all with the engine is correct, the transmission is correct, the only that would limit me then is the rpm of the engine. If some others are reporting 9k + rpm, but weigh a good deal lighter, is it possible, that my engine is in fact making similar power, but is unable to turn everything at the same rpm due to the additional load on the scooter. And if so, would moving to a 25mm carb make any difference at all?

I'm not sure I follow your logic on this one.....but.....if the engines are making similar power then they should be reaching the same RPM just that with you onboard would take slightly longer to get to there. Easy way to test your theroy is find someone much lighter than you, give them your scooter to ride & see what the result is. Do you have a tach hooked up so you can get true RPM reading?

So, focusing on the carb you have, & narrowing down the possibilities of what could be going wrong.......is the manifold you are using designed for the size carby you have? Are you running the std airbox with the larger carby? If the carby isn't the restriction, whatever you are putting before and/or after could be the problem. If you have the correct items here, then it could by the jetting you are using - i.e. the fuel delivery could be too fat or too thin at the higher RPM & hurting power output. You may be running the correct pilot jet, but there could be something wrong with your needle height or main jet size.

I don't think you'll find a 25mm carb - from what i've seen most manufacturers go 24mm & then 26mm.

2006 Vmoto Monza 50cc - to be rebuilt......I wonder if I can get this TMAX 500 engine in here??? o_O
  • 04-25-2010 10:36 PM In reply to

ok...some of this is definately beyond me, I understand it, but really not in a position to do much about it.

the scooter I was comparing mine against definately is using the same engine components. The only difference is I have a pod type airfilter, and he is using a modified stock one.

I have the next couple of days off, I will go through the jetting again.

By the way, anyone have a decent set of aerox side covers they want to get rid of? I would prefer to get just the standard back one the 50cc version comes with.

Thanks

Chris

• 04-26-2010 06:36 PM In reply to

• johnwf
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-04-2009
    • Canberra
    • Posts 150

Hi mate,

Firstly, I am not familiar with the aerox engine, but reading your first post you mention a big bore kit.  Did you also receive a head to suit or did you refit the original head.  Was the old head machines to suit the larger bore.  What squish are you running. 

• 04-28-2010 08:14 PM In reply to

• 15UZU
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-08-2009
    • Slacks Creek, QLD
    • Posts 1,140

Also, did you pressure test the engine after changing the bore?

• 05-21-2010 08:56 PM In reply to

you dont need a bigger carb and im sure with a good filter the airbox will be fine or run a pod filter.

This setup should be getting you to atleast 100 my beewee is not as modded as yours and im still scratching myhead with mine

but i weight 100kg and can go over 100kph.

keep at it mate

130cc stroker, V8 pipe, keihin28mm, ncy inner rotor, malossi variator, stage6 mkII clutch and bell
  • 05-21-2010 09:08 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

your right you dont need a big carb to do that 

But it will have alot more torque if you do it and thats what gives you the acelration

• 08-28-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

start whith the variator and take out the thin ring and you get 10km/h and a new piston olala

• 09-02-2010 03:34 PM In reply to

when you changed the variator you threw the small thin distance (restrictor) 10km/h and a new polinibelt the cheap one is 1mm wider and whoops 110 on the speeder 100real.but malossivar almost not fit if you use the thin ring so try it

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au