Scooter
Community

Daelim is dead ....long live the ???

Last post 04-20-2010 04:54 PM by nimal. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2010 12:06 PM

• nimal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2009
    • Posts 22

Daelim is dead ....long live the ???

Sadly my Daelim has died.  Not a lingering death but a sudden expiration.

It happened in the Perth storms while trying to get home.  Twice I turned around to avoid flooded roads but was eventually forced to go through water that was knee deep or a bit more.  The light was poor, the rain was heavy, cars were breathing down my neck behind me and the weather was unlike anything I have experienced in Perth.  And I obviously underestimated the depth. The poor Daelim did not survive, with the engine seizing and who knows what other damage to electricals etc.

I wheeled her home and cleaned her up.  She was transported to the dealer, but alas, she was gone.

The Daelim had served me well, and I have really nothing substantial to complain about.  Indeed I would not be disappointed to have another one.

Anyway, I have comprehensive insurance (that was a wise decision!), and the assessor confirmed to me he is recommending a write off last Friday.

Now what do I do.

I test rode a Vespa GTS250ie last Friiday.  Loved the engine.  Not as good for storage as the Daelim, but that engine is very tempting.  So I am waiting to arrange finalisation with my insurance, and thinking about what to get.  My wife who originally complained when I bought a scotter now want me to get the Vespa.  My son reckons just get the Daelim again (and he half paid for the Daelim) and I don't know yet.

But my wife and I have agreed on one thing......get another scooter as soon as we can.

I will advise how it all turns out.

Nimal

Daelim S1
  • 04-20-2010 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: Daelim is dead ....long live the ???

You obviously like the Quasar, so if it's storage you need (do you REALLY need it?) then perhaps you should have a look at other scooters that have the same engine? The X-Evo is one It's surprising just how much the Vespa will hold given a little thought & ingenuity, BUT if it's storage you need then perhaps you should have a look at the X-Evo or X7? Oh... hang on the 250cc scoots are being phased out aren't they. Damn

It's amazing just how much you can fit on the Vespa given a little thought, enginuity & a bike-sized cargo net or two! Wink

On the 9th of April I rode my lil red scooter down to the Fairbridge Festival, just north of Pinjarra, lugging camping gear & clothes for the 3 night adventure. The scooter handled it perfectly. I had the tent strapped to the floorboard, still leaving plenty of room for my feet, while the sleeping bag, mattress etc went into a leather rack bag ( an ABagz from AndyStrapz). I've also carried 37L bags of kitty litter on the floorboard, but only short distances.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 04-20-2010 12:54 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

If you like the Quasar engine the Piaggio X7 300i is a pretty good bang for buck at $6999+ONC. light,well put together with heaps of grunt and good handling plus good storage. Worth a test ride.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 04-20-2010 02:18 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

X7 300 is a must to have a look at. If its a good fit , meaning not too high off the ground, then you will love it.

One of the best bang for buck scooters on the market right now

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 04-20-2010 02:28 PM In reply to

Unfortunately we're dealing with WA laws here so Nimal is I believe limited to 250cc scoots. Although... he must be coming up to being able to go for his open license. How long has it been Nimal? Is it a year yet?

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 04-20-2010 03:02 PM In reply to

• nimal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2009
    • Posts 22

I had also thought of the XEvo 250 but believe it is no longer available.  Not sure about the X7 300.  Don't see it on the Piaggio site so don't know whether that too has gone from the line up. Certainly no X7 model is there.

Need to wait til about July before I can upgrade my license.  Don't really want to wait that long but then again if the right scooter is over 250cc then I would obviously consider waiting.

Any one know the status of the X7.  There is an XEvo 400 but that is probably too big for a commuter where I want to be able to filter.

Storage is important and having less than the Daelim would be a pain.  The GTS has as much but delivers it differently, so you can no longer get a full face under the seat.  Contemplating whether I can make the GTS work as effectively for everything I take (work stuff but gear for swimming or running)

Nimal

Daelim S1
  • 04-20-2010 03:16 PM In reply to

Scootabug is now on an X7 300, so they are out there.

Where there's a will there's a way when it comes to the Vespa. A diehard Vespa rider will do anything to ensure that the scooter is for them. Would you consider a top box perhaps for the Vespa? Steve also has brochures in the store, I think they may have been DriRider, that show a fold up backpack (like those shopping bags which fold up into a stuff sack) with a separate compartment for the helmet.

If I'm running into a store (ouch) I'll usually hang the helmet off the hook that is under the seat, so the seat locks it in place. I won't do this however if I'm leaving the scooter for an extended period but instead will take it with me. They do come in handy as handbag standins. Wink

Wanda
  • 04-20-2010 03:26 PM In reply to

with the Vespa/Piaggio 250cc models being phased out in most states i would say go for a 300cc model . But a state with a 250cc learner law a 250 would be easer to sell at a later date . Decisions decisions Big Smile  

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 04-20-2010 04:38 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

nimal:
    I had also thought of the XEvo 250 but believe it is no longer available.  Not sure about the X7 300.  Don't see it on the Piaggio site so don't know whether that too has gone from the line up. Certainly no X7 model is there.

They do take some time to update the website , actually its not them its whoever is looking after the site. But X7 300 is a new and current model.

Certainly not , I have the new model in the garage at the moment its a champ of a model. I love the short sharp wheelbase and the motor is the best in the business. Under the seat is good enough for a laptop and more. You can lay your helmet on its side for full face helmet storage. True 140 km/h top speed and true 120 km/h cruising ability.

Its a good one and really only missing a 12 volt charger if you want to get picky. I am a true believer in the 300 class of scooters now available they are the best of both worlds.

If you like Xevo 250 you would like new Kymco Downtown 300 also,

You should check out a few of the 300 models now available from SYM , honda etc , you even have new scarabeo 300S .... yum

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 04-20-2010 04:54 PM In reply to

• nimal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-06-2009
    • Posts 22

Would absolutely use a top box.  Have 33L Givi now which I have been very happy with.  But would likely need to upgrade to a larger top box if I went with the GTS. 

Guess I should consider the X7 300 though, as it may be a good solution also.  A model I know nothing about but if it can still filter and the engine is as good as the GTS then at that price it looks to be a good deal. But Pyrah has raised a good point, I hadn't considered that over 250cc may be harder for resale.

There is always a con to every pro unfortunately.  That is why decisions are so difficult. I took ages to make my mind up last time, but in the end I think I made the right decision for that time.  What has changed is I am prepared to spend more as I know now scoooters are for me, and I have refined my understanding of the requirements.  For example I know I want to filter while commuting (save heaps of time) and need a storage solution so that I can scoot rather than drive.  I also know that the power to get away from the traffic at lights works for me and makes me feel safer.  The Daelim was able to do it, but the 250 can do it even better and so is potentially even safer.  Well that is how I think about it anyway.

There are other potentials over 250, such as the Downtown I know.  But if you go back to why I chose the Daelim over the Scarabeo, it was because I was also picking a dealer.  That still applies, and I would like to choose from my current dealer if at all possible. The experience with the current write off has shown how important your dealer is, and I have no reason to change that strategy as part of my purchase.

And Steve, if by chance you read this, please disregard. I am sure it would ruin your fun if you don't get a chance to put on your sales cap and rise to the challenge!

Nimal

Daelim S1
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au