Scooter
Community

Insurance - repair vs. write off

Last post 10-19-2007 04:24 PM by allen. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-16-2007 06:58 PM

Insurance - repair vs. write off

Hi folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Awesome forum and learned an awful lot about scootering, therefore feeling somewhat inadequate about my so-far lack of contribution.

I've had my GT200 for about a month when it was involved in an accident where I was not at fault. It is insured for $6k. I'm not an assessor so I can't put a price on the damage; however, how much will be damage bill be before the insurance company calls it a write-off?

Also, knowing that Vespa parts have to come from overseas, will that put a significant strain on the repair cost (which may swing the insurers' decision towards a write-off)?

• 10-16-2007 08:12 PM In reply to

Re: Insurance - repair vs. write off

I'm not an insurance assessor, but I would hazard a guess that it will largely depend on what is damaged and where it is damaged.

Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.  Cheers :) 

• 10-16-2007 10:02 PM In reply to

Back in 2001, I rolled my 97 Landrover Discovery coming down the road from Falls Creek Ski Resort where I was working. The Disco was repaired at a cost of $14,600, and the insurance assessor said it was nearly a write off. The car was insured for $29,000, so just a smidge over half its value. All aluminum panels meant not beating, just replacement, and I would expect a vespa to be similar? I was hoping they'd write it off, as it was a total lemon after it was repaired. 

• 10-16-2007 10:14 PM In reply to

umm. sounds like that for the insurers to call a write-off, the repair cost would have to be a fair bit over half of the agreed value.

I suspect there is a fair bit of replacement required for the Vespa (if they aren't going to panel-beat it). Side panels, back, front, seat, top box; not even sure if there is any engine damage (the side panel was cracked open; although the engine still starts).

I wouldn't know whether they would beat the panels, considering that the replacement parts probably have to come from overseas.

• 10-17-2007 08:34 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Good to see a picture on this one if available it just comes down to the one piece frame being bent. So if the front end is so far pushed in then most likely a write off. If its panels damage and it can be panel beaten out then it will be repaired. Most likely it will be a repair on most occasions. Being metal they are like a car to fix.

so if it was valued at 6000 i think by the sounds of it the repair bill could be up around 3-4 grand which might just be enough to pick up the scoot and send a cheque thus writing it off.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 10-17-2007 09:38 AM In reply to

Rule of thumb is 2/3rds.

If the repairs are more than 2/3rds of the insured value it should be a write off.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-17-2007 08:38 PM In reply to

thanks for the tip guys.

Allen, wish I have pics, but most of them would have been taken by the cops as I was being carted away by the ambo. The front was ok, save for bumps and scratches on the front mudguard. The body is the main concern: bottom part of the body has detached on both sides. Scratches and dents on one side. Seat is slightly ripped. Not to mention the obliteration of the top box.

This is not so much a question but wondering what others' experiences are: but I wonder if the repair cost vs. write-off ledger is marginal, which way the insurers tend to swing?

• 10-19-2007 04:24 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

sounds to me like a write off i must say good to hear you are ok. My experience is that the scooter needs to get over 2/3 its value in repair costs and the we are talking write off

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au