Scooter
Community

Another Shop Bites the Dust

Last post 06-27-2010 08:40 PM by petegailey. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-11-2010 03:54 PM

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Another Shop Bites the Dust

I found out yesterday that My Scooter at Drummoyne were closing down. They were one of the big Vespa Dealers in Sydney and where I bought phatVespa. Craig was a pretty savy salesman but told me they couldnt keep up the rent on such a big shop. also talked about the reducing margins. sad to see them go. ps if you want a new GTS he has a 250 and a 300 that he's prepared to let go of at cost. Big savings.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 05-11-2010 04:06 PM In reply to

Re: Another Shop Bites the Dust

When is it going to end a couple of weeks a go was looking around the scooter shops in Adelaide in each shop i was the only person in there . Hope better times are around the corner for the dealers hanging on

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-11-2010 04:09 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

DOZER.
  • 05-11-2010 05:33 PM In reply to

Thats really sad to hear.

It's where i bought my Fly. After shopping around all the dealers in Sydney i chose My Scooter because of Craig's great service. Would've bought my next scoot there too. Sad

That discounted GTS300 is mighty tempting. Pete, was it the black one? I was only in there last week getting my Fly serviced and looking at it. Very nice.

2009-2011: Piaggio Fly 125
    2011-Present: Giallo Lime Vespa GTS 250ie

• 05-11-2010 07:24 PM In reply to

• Jobbie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-05-2010
    • Craigmore, SA
    • Posts 238

petegailey:
    My Scooter at Drummoyne were closing down.

Sad to hear that. I brought my first scooter from there...the ex-demo orange Sportcity they had in the window for quite a while. The rent would have been massive, but cripes, they had exposure. 

I still have their number-plate surround on the old bike: 'My Scooter - My lifestyle'. Workmates actually thought I was promoting homosexuality. Funny, I kept it on the bike because of that: I love the scooter life. (Not so keen on the other stuff, though.) Left HugLeft Hug

Aprilia Sportcity 125 2007.
    Aprilia Scarabeo 250 2010.
  • 05-11-2010 07:57 PM In reply to

When I hear this kind of thing it reminds me of why I always tip Steve@ace 100 bucks above his charges for servicing my scooter.

It sucks to have a good shop go under. There are enough crap ones around to make suporting the good ones worthwhile.

Scarabeo 500ie. J costa variator, Giannelli Exhaust, Malossi Cam, Dr Pulley Clutch, and SX appeal cup holder. GONE

Bought a ducati, missed scootering so now riding a Vespa 300 super. Polini variator, PM tuning exhaust, Malossi clutch springs jettin bar ends with mirrors, heated grips and still an SX appeal cup holder.
  • 05-11-2010 09:56 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

flyrice:

That discounted GTS300 is mighty tempting. Pete, was it the black one? I was only in there last week getting my Fly serviced and looking at it. Very nice.

Yep. Both the 250 & the 300 are black. You'll need to move soon as I think they're going back to the importer.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 05-12-2010 12:50 AM In reply to

What a shame, its always so sad to hear about shops closing especially when its sells a product that we all love. Its the end of someone's dream who had the guts to have a crack.

Gavin
  • 05-12-2010 10:35 AM In reply to

What a shame, I bought my SportCity from them and they were much cheaper than other dealers.

So the number of scooter dealers in Sydney is shrinking, I can think of 5 left but maybe there are some I dont know.

Has demand for scooters dropped or are there too many dealers in a small market ?

TBH I take my daughter to uni on some days ans around Leichhardt to Chippo I see a ton of scooters in the mornings. 

• 05-12-2010 12:56 PM In reply to

I hate to sound cynical but everytime a dealer discounts a scooter they reduce their profit, simple? But there is more to it. 

The margins are being reduced from an importers level so their brand becomes more competitive and they increase market share. Everytime a model price is reduced the money has to come from somewhere. The importers can share this price reduction cost with the dealer (Please note that each importer is different with regards to this policy) 

The second is that with fewer and fewer sales around other dealers have to discount harder to get the sale. I am all about being competitve within the market place but there is a point where the numbers have to stack up. Rent is only the tip of the iceberg for business expenses when you consider that business loan rates are almost double that of residential mortgages.

The third pressure is the media with their so-called investigative journalism programs like Today Tonight etc. They will have you believe that everyone in retail is ripping you blind. Now I can't comment on other types of retail (Jewellery when you can get 50% off a gold necklace and they still make money) but I know this information is plain wrong especially when it comes to the scooter small businesses.  

SATURN7:
    What a shame, I bought my SportCity from them and they were much cheaper than other dealers.

Maybe this is the reason they aren't around anymore?

Supporting your local dealer is more important that ever and this ensures that they will be able to look after you in the future for service, spares or that new scooter you could be looking for. There are many reasons to purchase from one dealer over another whether it being a good price, fantastic service or just the knowledge that they will be around to look after you and your scooter for the long term. But unless the dealer earns enough money to keep the doors open how can he/she provide great service for the long term?

I am sad to see another scooter shop close taking with it alot of blood, sweat and tears. I know the feeling after closing two of our shops within the last 9 months.  

Ben

• 05-12-2010 08:36 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

This is the real reason but people refuse to see it.

The recession is starting and will make the last one in 1932 a picnic. Its not only scooter dealers out there that are going to the wall, but who cares you all still vote the same donkies in that take orders from the banksters instead of abiding by our constition. If we all dont do something quick we wont have scooters to ride and will have to resort to a pushbike which is why councils are hell bent on building lanes for them on our roads and getting the motorists use to doing 40ks or less. when only the banksters and their helpers are the only ones left on the roads and we are fully enslaved, we will see the speed limits increased dramatically so we cant throw stones at them. or worse.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 05-12-2010 10:03 PM In reply to

benitoscooterboy:
    The second is that with fewer and fewer sales around other dealers have to discount harder to get the sale.

I find this comment interesting, so dealers are making fewer sales even though the prices are falling ? I am wondering if this is because of economics or just that scooters might be waning in popularity. This isnt meant really as out of curiosity.

I know that My Scooter had a great position in terms of visibility and in a reasonably affluent area (Drummoyne) and stones throw from Balmain. I would think that within a 5-7km radius there was a good scooter market, taking in Leichhardt, Birchgrove, Lilyfield etc.

Yeah, I find it puzzling because I see a lot of scooters on the roads so I wouldnt think the scooter thing is going and I see new car sales are up. I wonder if more people are buying secondhand at really reduced prices ?

• 05-12-2010 10:59 PM In reply to

Maybe scooter sales have dropped because they are seen by some as luxury item and when times are tough people tend to forgo luxuries. Those who may not have another vehicle also rationalise by catching public transport instead of buying a scooter or car. I think our economy is actually a lot worse than we are being led to believe and there is a lot of misleading data around due largely to artificial government stimilu which only postpones the pain and doesnt really fix the problems. I hope I'm wrong and we get out of this nightmare sooner rather than later. I'm probably getting too political for this forum, so apologies but its my 2 cents worth.

Gavin
  • 05-13-2010 12:17 AM In reply to

Or maybe they have got use to the price of fuel and using cars again

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 05-13-2010 10:40 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,090

Maybe its that everyone who wants a scooter has already got a scooter coz there sure are heaps of them about especially in the inner city ring. I guess to sell more scooters the industry needs to convince more non riders to take on scooter riding as an option. Something like petrol going above $1.50/litre again. That was a big reason for me to go and get out of the car.

Also I imagine the scooter industry must be seasonal in the southern states as only the die hards buy and ride in the winter months.

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au