Scooter
Community

Life to the T MAX!

Last post 06-30-2016 09:15 PM by fluffy. 455 replies.
Page 10 of 31 (456 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2011 06:59 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 269

Re: Life to the T MAX!

It's now appropriate that I rode out of the garage.  Big Smile

I have a 2007 TMax which went on it's first social outing last Sunday. That ride has certainly changed my initial opinion of the scoot. Earlier familiarisation trips had been a variety of speeds and duration.  A couple of 30km each way commutes had me missing the MP3, especially when waiting at the traffic lights.

The TMax, as commented by others here, certainly has some punch, great handling and some serious stopping power when neccessary. I will probably replace the weights with DrPulleys at the next service to remove a slight lag after take-off. The riding position is comfortable with the ability to stretch the legs. Storage under the saddle is disappointing as well as not having a 12v outlet (resolved).

The MP3 will be kept for regular commuting purposes as it is too much fun.  I apologise to all those bruised ego's of HD and sprocket rockets owners that I've p'd orf  from the lights. Tuff. The benefits of the 2 wheels up front has been justified many times which makes the MP3 first weapon of choice when it looks like rain.  The carrying capacity of the MP3 is ideal for doing the shopping on the way home. Locking the tilt up makes it easy for pushing around when parking or waiting at lights.

The TMax will be mainly kept for having fun and the odd dry weather commute. That will probably change over time as I get more saddle time.

• 06-22-2011 10:55 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,087

Welcome to the club dbm. Looking forward to your observations. Also arif whose got a max. I agree about the sliders. Ive got a plastic bag with 8 of em sitting on my desk waiting for the 20,000k service. Id be interested in how you put the 12V outlet in. Im also wanting to see if I can get the suspension set up better. Then there's a pipe....

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 06-22-2011 11:09 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,087

White Fang:

petegailey:
    After the scoot got warm it started to miss when I wound out the throttle. When I rolled off and got back to under 5000rpm both cylinders fired properly

Only one thing is required - one road starting with P and ending in Y...Wink

Get on it and ride it like you stole it....

Ian was right. Started to ride it every day on the 50k commute. Found out that if I gently wound it out it would get to the higher rpm's without missing, after a day or two and a new tank of petrol its back to its old self. It just wants to be ridden.... starting with P and ending in Y....? Wink What on earth could that mean?

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
  • 06-23-2011 05:35 PM In reply to

• arif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-07-2011
    • Posts 17

Glad you got that sorted Yes

• 06-23-2011 07:51 PM In reply to

petegailey:
    Ian was right. Started to ride it every day on the 50k commute.

Pete - suggest you add some fuel stabiliser to your fleet - 30ml per tank should do - see http://www.sta-bil.com.au/product_range.html

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 06-25-2011 08:10 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,087

Hey Ian, what you opinion of the Michelin Pilot Sports sc radial vs the Pirelli Diablo? Seems that they dont make the Bridgestone TH01 for the 14" wheels anymore. Ive got to find a good front tyre 120/70/R14 55H TL.

• 06-26-2011 10:45 AM In reply to

petegailey:
    Ive got to find a good front tyre 120/70/R14

Hi Pete,

Can't offer an opinion on either tyre - I'm running Metzeler Feelfree's on the Burger - they make a radial front tyre in your size - don't know if its available Oz though...The Feelfree's give excellent confidence in the wet and seem much more planted in the dry compared to the Bridgee's fitted stock to the Burger. Had an few dirty underpants moments on the ride down to last years Snowy ride when momententarily lost all feeling in the steering - but the roads were very wet. Anyway as soon I as got home I ordered a new set of tyres and settled on the Feelfree's from favourable reports on the interweb.

• 07-02-2011 01:15 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,087

Did you buy the Feelfree's on line?

• 07-03-2011 09:55 PM In reply to

Pete picked mine up from MAW at Castle Hill - other bike shops could probably order a tyre for you too.

• 07-04-2011 04:05 PM In reply to

• arif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-07-2011
    • Posts 17

Hi Pete

How did you find the penrite? i dont have it in front of me but i thought the SL was too high for the clutch????

• 07-04-2011 04:56 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,087

600ks later and no problems. I trust my engineer and oil guru White Fang who knows much more about these things than I do with absolute confidence.  He says that the HPR Gas 10 would work fine and it is.   

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/motor-oil/hpr/hpr_gas_10

and if you want an interesting read about oils check out this thread

http://www.gtsownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1286

BTW hows the GTS23 on the front going? Ive ordered a set of Pirelli Diablo radials to try out. i guess its wait and see.

• 07-04-2011 10:44 PM In reply to

• arif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-07-2011
    • Posts 17

Thanks Pete

I too will go with the penrite, i bought the mineral yamaha stuff last time (only oil i could fine that fit the specs in the owners manual) and it cost me an arm and a leg for mineral motor oil.

I have been out on wet roads with the GTS but not rain, it seems fine to me, feels like it is gripping at least as well as the battlax did, but i think a better rider who pushes both bike and tyre more may have more of an opinion. the gts cost $125 fitted, i am very happy for what i paid for it.

glad you were able to find the diablo radials - where did you find them?

• 07-04-2011 11:15 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,087

arif:

glad you were able to find the diablo radials - where did you find them?

I called Pirelli Australia who put me onto the Pirelli motorcycle tyre agent in Queensland who confirmed that there was a 120/70R 14 radial and that they had them in stock. Then I got onto Balmain Motorcycles and asked them to order a front and rear. They'll arrive on Thursday. Ive seen mixed reviews of the Diablo overseas. They're supposed to be a softish sports tyre with good grip but not much longevity but we'll see. The only other radial available in our size seems to be the Metzler Feel Free, again mixed reviews.

arif:

Thanks Pete

I too will go with the penrite,

I trust White Fang, he does a lot of research, runs several motorcycles and scooters and knows what he is talking about. The other oil guru I know is Bradr who I think uses Mobil 1 full synthetic.

ps. I found that the Pirelli GTS23 was the best front tyre for my Vespa GTS

• 07-13-2011 01:33 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Posts 7,087

The Pirelli Diablo radials arrived and I just got back after having them fitted at Balmain Motorcycles. $375 for front 120/70/R14 and rear 160/60R15 fitted which I thought was quite reasonable. 14,250ks. The last rear, a Bridgestone, went on at 4,000ks. Cant wait for 80ks to wear the Diablo's in then its a hard run through the twisties to see how good they really are.

• 07-13-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

hello pete,my names is michael and i also own a tmax(2009).
    I enjoyed your posted and maybe one day we meet to do a tour with T-max.
    Until last year i lived in drummoyne and recently i moved in home bush.
    i am part of the tmaxclub in italy where we are more than 16.000 members.This is because is the best selling scooter over 100.ooo pieces.I read the other day opinions on the pirelli tires and i saw that they are  a good tyres but need more time to remove the layer of wax...
    If u need some information for any other kind do not hesitate to ask!
    Regards Michael.

Michael
Page 10 of 31 (456 items) « First ... < Previous 8 9 10 11 12 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au