Scooter
Community

Life to the T MAX!

Last post 06-30-2016 09:15 PM by fluffy. 455 replies.
Page 19 of 31 (456 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-13-2015 05:31 PM In reply to

Re: Life to the T MAX!

oldscoot:

Yeah, I used NEIB for many years and in all aspects I could not fault them...

Yep, so far brilliant customer service.  Even with the $5 a month charge for me wanting to pay by the month it's still substantially cheaper than any other quote I received. 

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-14-2015 06:23 PM In reply to

Something to Think About

Found an interesting thread on the French Tmax-Mania forum regarding the 530 drive belt (the external one) and the front drive sprocket.

The issue is lack of or failure of the grease used on the drive shaft spline.

Here are some snaps - 

These are from the Tmax-Mania (thanks) and are from a 530 with 10,000km

The service for these is (was) every 20,000km....I don't think so...

Here are shots of mine with less than 500km - 

Left side of scoot with cover in place

With cover removed - oil is already seperating out of the grease and the spline is drying out...

The grease in the centre was hard and stuck to the cover. 

The service manual specifies Yamaha H grease, this is a polyurea formula. Owner's in France suggest or are using marine type water resistant with high temperature rating...

Here's another from France - 

Here's a how to check, clean and lube story with snaps - 

http://www.tmax-mania.com/forums/index.php/topic/44059-transmission-530-apr%C3%A8s-10000kms-le-bilan/page-30   

BTW this thread goes to 35 pages!!!

Those who thought a belt drive was maintenance free think again....Ian

Life without a Tmax is possible, but would almost be useless…
  • 03-15-2015 07:45 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

Oh well, still no perfect scooter. Tmaxes do this and need two belts replaced instead of one, BMW c's may or may not fry their clutches, Burgers belts last for "lifetime", but when they snap you have to remove the entire engine to get at it. And Italian machines, well they're Italian.

the Beverly is still awesome, but I want more space, and it looks like I'll pay for that one way or another! Still no closer to a decision...

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 03-16-2015 02:40 PM In reply to

fluffy:
    the Beverly is still awesome, but I want more space, and it looks like I'll pay for that one way or another! Still no closer to a decision...

I wouldn't be buying the TMax for its space.  It's OK, given that it's a maxi scoot but from what I have seen of the Beverly, carrying capacity under the seat would be smaller on the Tmax.  I fit my full faced helmet (XL) a jacket liner and wet weather pants.   That pretty much fills the underseat storage.

I can see fitting a top box to the Tmax being a little better given its girth.  Adding something like a 45 to 50L top box wouldnt look out of place which it might on the Bev. 

Performance and dare I say comfort..... it's a no-brainer.

Started out with a Zip 50. Now moving on to a HD 200. Wonder what's next....?? Not wondering any more.... TMAX!!!!!!
  • 03-16-2015 05:59 PM In reply to

• dbm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2009
    • Posts 269

fluffy:

Oh well, still no perfect scooter. Tmaxes do this and need two belts replaced instead of one, BMW c's may or may not fry their clutches, Burgers belts last for "lifetime", but when they snap you have to remove the entire engine to get at it. And Italian machines, well they're Italian.

I enjoy watching bike riders figure out how my TMax is a chain driven scooter. Looks like the 530 has taken the fun away ;-)

• 03-16-2015 06:43 PM In reply to

fluffy:
    Oh well, still no perfect scooter. Tmaxes do this and need two belts replaced instead of one,

Umm not 2 belts -

The Tmax CVT V-belt is replaced every 20,000km - actually is better than most auto scooters as there is no clutch lining dust kicking around - the Bev 350 too has a wet clutch so life should be superior to most...C600/C650 has normal dry clutch so dust would be an issue

The Tmax drive belt has no replacement schedule and should last for hopefully the life of the scooter...but time will tell - will probably start to age and harden after 8 to 10 years - but that's my guess only.

The issue in my post relates to a lubrication issue of the driven belt pulley - not the belt itself...

• 03-17-2015 04:51 PM In reply to

I would be interested to see how your's fairs after racking up some KM's given that it was brand new.   Mine has just under 5k km on the clock.   The amount that I ride though will still take me some time to get to 10000km service. 

On a side note, can I just chalk up another one for the Tmax in relation to weather protection.  Rode home in the rain last Friday.  Got a little damp sitting in traffic, but once moving nothing hit me below the shoulders.   Got home and pants were completely dry.   

Interesting point though, with the rain hitting my visor, once I got up to speed 70kph+ the airflow over the windscreen pushed the water down my visor and kept it clear.   Downside, I was wearing a summer jacket so got fairly wet on the front of my shirt. :-/ 

• 03-17-2015 05:15 PM In reply to

HB-Zip50:
    Mine has just under 5k km on the clock.   The amount that I ride though will still take me some time to get to 10000km service.

The best thing you can do is change the engine oil and oil filter - now and then every 12 months and leave the service till 20,000km when the belt and a bunch of other stuff is required...and check the belt pulley when you do the oil too. Look after the oil  - its cheap insurance for long engine life...

• 03-17-2015 05:40 PM In reply to

OK Time for a White Fang III Farkle - 

Handlebars - always an issue with Tmax for me anyway was the lack of clearance under the parking brake lever and the horrible plastic bar covers...

Well I was determined to find a solution to the first issue as my knee hits the parking brake lever during left turn manoeuvres...

Anyway found a suitable replacement handlebar in the form of the Renthal 607 (to suit Yamaha Raptor Quad bike) - I had installed these same bar on my old Burgman 400 so know them well.

Some snaps - 

OEM and 607 bars compared - 25mm was cut off each end of the 607 before installation

Bars overlapped - the 607 is also lighter than OEM 1200gm vs 720gm

Installed 1 - no issues with cable or hose lengths - all fitted straight up

Installed 2 - note the stock handle riser and clamps were used - went for silver bars to match the OEM riser and clamps

Well I'm thrilled to report I achieved my goals - will probably look into something to tidy up the hole... 

More farkling to come...stay tuned

• 03-17-2015 05:52 PM In reply to

If you want to do some more Farkling I have found this website

http://www.rizoma.com/street/yamaha/yamaha-t-max-530-t-max-530-abs-2012-14/en

Farkling a plenty.  I have been looking at the handle bar riser kit and new mirrors.   Would love to have the mirrors bar mounted instead of out front.

• 03-19-2015 01:20 PM In reply to

530 Drive Belt Pulley - Update

Decided to pull the belt driving pulley off for inspection - more snaps...@ 507km

Here is the driving shaft - the grease is breaking down and signs of water ingress - why? The scoot has not been used on wet roads! 

Cleaned of all old grease - no rust damage...the discolouration seems like a surface treatment or coating not corrosion.

The pulley - showing the inside end - yuck...

Cleaned up nicely

Found corrosion in one of the retaining screws too - looks like water has been present before I got my "new" scoot...?

Anyway after cleaning I used the recommended polyurea grease before reassembling - will monitor its performance.

• 03-19-2015 05:37 PM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Great write ups Ian. I really like the look of the bare bars without the plastic, is that a sports screen or the stock one back on? Weird about the corrosion and the grease though. Good thing that you're doing your research.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 03-20-2015 11:06 AM In reply to

petegailey:

Great write ups Ian. I really like the look of the bare bars without the plastic, is that a sports screen or the stock one back on? Weird about the corrosion and the grease though. Good thing that you're doing your research.

Thanks Pete - enjoying the ride and the farkling and other mods!!!! What a fantastic machine it is!

Here's a teaser - OEM parts shown...

• 03-20-2015 01:16 PM In reply to

I am no expert so don't take me too seriously, but the bolt thread damage looks like galvanic corrosion which happens because steel bolts into alloy engine I think, I read anti-seize will mess up the torqueing quite badly but mineral oil might work better. My crankshaft went that rust colour after I put a smear of Malossi HT variator grease on it, not sure if it is rust or something coming out from high temperature and pressure, I am about to change the rollers so I might try no grease this time to see if there's a difference, maybe it is something to do with the metal alloy of the crankshaft.

Interesting post, thanks.

Edit: I just checked the variator and I had already cleaned the grease off and it was rusty since 6000 kms ago, perhaps rustier than with grease but I am not sure if I should be putting grease on it at all.

Aprilia Sportcity 2006,
    recently crashed badly, might replace or buy a car!
  • 03-21-2015 09:06 AM In reply to

What Happens When These Arrive...?

And these one of these sitting in the garage...?

Well its tool time...

Basically all the panels shown here need to come off...

To expose this -

Next off the the CVT air intake covers and air filter - 

and this - 

Used this setup to remove the large crosshead screws holding the covers on here - #3 Philips bit 50mm long, 1/4" driver and an adjustable spanner for leverage - basically insert the screwdriver and push on the handle to prevent the bit rolling out of the screw and rotate the spanner to undo the screw - these are torqued to 7Nm to much too use screwdriver alone. Tip - ensure the #3 bit fits the screws properly before starting this work.

Now to remove the cover - the large nut on the variator stays for now - remove 6 x M8, 4 x M6 screws and 1 x M6 nut to reveal this - 

Now to remove the large nut - use a 29mm or 1 1/8" impact socket and cordless impact wrench - mark the position of the nut on the shaft

Here is the variator on the bench with the OEM rollers - 18gm

Weighted the rollers 

Then the sliders - 

Was thinking of using 16gm sliders but guys on Tmax-mania forum of France mostly use 15gm - so went for it...

Finally sliders installed -

Well the rest of the story is just re-assmbly in the reverse order - lots of screws and clips - probably 2 hours work all up.

With the CVT cover back on I started up the engine to check the CVT action - the belt is just visible through an air outlet - went up and down as the engine was revved.

Unfortuately the weather is crap in Sydney - haven't had a test ride yet. Will report when I can...

Page 19 of 31 (456 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au