Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

New to scooters.

Last post 10-25-2007 09:44 PM by DanielJ. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2007 08:18 PM

• Omecle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-21-2007
    • Posts 6

New to scooters.

Hi everyone. :)

I am new to scooters, and I don't really know much about them. I am currently going to sell my car as I moved into Richmond in Melbourne and I find that I never use it, so it's just wasting money and losing value.

Anyway, I wanted to get a scooter to zip around the city and get to university. Currently I'm on my P's, but I'll be on a full license around Feburary; not sure if that makes a difference in getting a motorbike license. I have never ridden a motorbike or scooter before, but I am eager to learn, is there anywhere close to Richmond or the city where I can get lessons to get my license?

Also, I have been looking around the net and a few stores in the city that have scooters. It's all a bit much, all I really have to go on is that I'd probably want a 125cc 4-stroke, and looks (I really like the 2008 Yamaha 125 Vino, it looks nice! Does anyone know much about it? Is it worth getting for a first scooter? I love the design). Once I sell my car I will have around $5,000-6,000 and maybe a bit extra to get a scooter, so I'm looking at around $4,000 to at the most $5,000 (if I REALLY like the scooter). Is that too much to spend on a scooter? What should I come to expect from scooters? I don't really need to drive on the freeway, as I can just borrow a car if I need to go long distances.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post, I hope someone can help me out and set me on the right track. Sorry for all the questions. :) 

• 10-22-2007 12:51 AM In reply to

• flasho
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 116

Re: New to scooters.

Welcome Omecle !  125cc is a good size motor for around town, Yamie Vino is a good scoot from a good manufacturer with good warranty, but until you actually ride a heap of others you are only going on looks, every scoot rides differently, they can be cramped or comfortable, sluggish or zippy, once you get your licence test ride as many as you can to get a feel for the many models out there, took me 6 or was it 8 months to decide what I have now, changed my mind a number of times, its an exciting time your heading in to, enjoy...........cheers Pete. 

• 10-22-2007 12:57 AM In reply to

• flasho
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 116

Just to add to my previous reply when I was deciding which scoot to buy I stewed for months, in the end I bought the Piaggio X9-500, it had the speed to be safe on the roads I use not to hold up traffic, { freeways } had the storage space, and was big enough to be comfortable and not feel cramped sitting on it for long rides, and of course the price, make a check list of what you want in a scoot and start a list of possibles then narrow it down.........cheers Pete.  [ read my short review of the scoot I bought in scooter reviews named "first impressions" X9 ] 

• 10-22-2007 07:12 AM In reply to

• Omecle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-21-2007
    • Posts 6

Thanks for the reply Black-Beast. :)

Yeah, I'd definitely want to try out a fair few to get the feel for them. I guess all I need to get is my license before I do that. Any idea how much a motorbike license would cost, and where would be a good place to learn around Richmond in Melbourne? ^^;

Also, any scooters recommended that are similar to Vino 125? The Vespa LX150 (I think that's the model) looks pretty good too and I've only seen good reviews of it, but it might be more expensive (out of my price range of around $4,000-$5,000).

Thanks. :)

• 10-22-2007 08:12 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you like the looks of the Vino and have settled on 125 capacity then you really only have that and the Mio 100 which are in the running. The bolwell will perform well too around town and will handle traffic pretty easily. Has some nice features as well. But the yamaha will give you a touch more poke and will be a touch larger. So I would keep your comparisons to these two scooters. I would also take a look at bryants up spec vinos at scooter garage and if you think the standard vino looks the goods then wait till you see bryants vinos in real life. I think bryant is at ascot vale so not far from you. Any way thats not a plug its just he had some really good accessories specific to the vino and if you have about 5 grand then the sky is the limits,..... But if you like your classic scoots i would just stick to those two and try and maybe test ride a mio you will be surprised by the performance. Good Luck

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 10-22-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

Omecle:
    Also, any scooters recommended that are similar to Vino 125?

Bolwell Mio 100 great little package.

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-22-2007 01:33 PM In reply to

• Omecle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-21-2007
    • Posts 6

Great! Thanks. I don't mind going out to Ascot Vale to check out something. :)

Is there any sort of performance issues I should be taking into consideration? I'm not sure what to expect, but I guess I may learn a thing or two when I get some training. ^^;

The Mio 100 looks really cool, probably like it as much as the Vino in terms of looks. But I really like the Yamaha brand. ^^; Also, does height matter much? I know I saw some scooters that I thought were quite large -- I'm around 5'6" so I don't think I'd have too much trouble. 

• 10-22-2007 02:28 PM In reply to

At 5'6" you can ride just about anything.

The Mio is very good quality and can more than hold its own against the Yamaha in terms of quality, the Mio 100 is a fair bit quicker in acceleration even though it has a smaller engine, has a four year warranty & is backed by the largest distributor of scooters in Australia. 

www.scooterhq.com.au

Where the scooters roam free
  • 10-22-2007 04:59 PM In reply to

welcome to the forum!

maybe you should pick up a copy of the two wheels "scooter" mag, i used it as my bible when i was looking for my scoot, has great reviews and lists most of the prices of scoots around.  and of course like everyone has said try out as many as you can :) good luck finding your scoot

Wants a B Bone!!!
    anyone got one they want to give me ... no .. really.... ok , well fine be that way...
  • 10-22-2007 07:04 PM In reply to

OK, I'll reply to this in stages.

A.  The full car licence will make a difference, however, if you've got minimal time left on your P's, then if you get a motorbike licence before your P's expire, you will receive a Probationary Motorbike licence that becomes a Full Motorbike licence at the same time your car licence becomes a full licence, please see this link:

VicRoads Link

B. For a list of the accredited motorbike licence assessors and providers, please see this link:

VicRoads Link    Check the list and find the one that's closest to you :)

C.  I strongly recommend you get your bike licence and start test riding the various scoots on the market.  What suits me won't necessarily suit everyone as it's very individual.  That said, if you're looking at the Vino, scoots with similar sorts of styling are Aprilia Mojito, VMoto Montego, the Vespa's, the Bolwell Mio 100 (smaller capacity at 100cc) and probably a couple of others.

D.  I don't know much about the Vino but the one I've taken for a test ride seemed to be put together quite well and was more than up to the task.  The main reason I didn't go for it was the retro style isn't really my cup of tea.

E. The $4-5k bracket gives you heaps of choice, so shop around, find the scooter you like the most and get it.  I spent $4k on my Benelli Velvet 150 secondhand, partly the styling (Italians seem to have a flair for style!), partly the fact that it runs a liquid cooled Yamaha motor in it, and partly the sheer amount of storage in it.

The above are my thoughts, comments and opinions only.  Best of luck with your scooter shopping, hope to see you on the roads soon :)

Cheers :)

• 10-23-2007 08:37 AM In reply to

• Omecle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-21-2007
    • Posts 6

Thanks for the reply, that was very helpful. :)

I do like the "new age" kind of look such as your Benelli Velvet, but I think I just really really like the retro style. ^^; I definitely won't let that limit what I try out though! I am very happy that I won't be on my P's for long, that way I will be able to take my girlfriend on the back. :)

All the training places seem fairly far away, so I guess I will try Dandenong because my mum used to work around that area a few years ago.

Thanks. ^^

• 10-25-2007 09:44 PM In reply to

Hey Omecle, how is it going?

On the subject of training, give Motorcycle Motion a call.

2 x 4hour sessions, one theory and one practical followed by a 3 minute, 4 exercise test.

140 Keys Road, Cheltenham, Victoria, 3192

http://www.motorcyclemotion.com.au/

LX150
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au