Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Motorcycle Trial

Last post 07-01-2010 02:44 PM by Handy. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2010 10:55 AM

• Handy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Bendigo
    • Posts 7

Motorcycle Trial

Just been sent an offer to participate in a motorcycle trail and coaching session by Vicroads and the Monash Uni.

When I read it, it said no scooters. does this mean that we don't need any more training or do they think all scooter are 50cc mopeds?  

• 06-29-2010 11:45 AM In reply to

Re: Motorcycle Trial

The following is a reply I received from Monash when I sent them an email aski ng the same question. I was most peeved because I really wanted to be involved in this.

"Thanks very much for your interest in our research and for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sorry that we can't include scooter riders on this occasion.   As this is a research trial it is important that we keep the participants in the sample as similar to each other as possible.  Motorcycle and scooter riders differ on a number of variables that warrants their inclusion in separate research trials.  Scooter riding has increased in recent years and the state government has a body of advisors who have already been advocating for a separate scooter safety study in future.  In addition, if the current trial is successful, there is no reason to assume it won't be made available (in a tailored form) to scooter riders as well as those who may be returning to riding after a break.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concerns.  Wishing you all the best with your riding."

Sadly I will be outside the criteria by the time they get around to scooters.

Toot The Scoot
  • 06-29-2010 12:36 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

mrs_scoot_her:
    and the state government has a body of advisors who have already been advocating for a separate scooter safety study in future.

Ask for a NAME please

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-29-2010 01:03 PM In reply to

The email was sent from Christine Mulverhill at Monash

Toot The Scoot
  • 06-29-2010 01:39 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

I'm more interested in the "advisors" name...

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 06-29-2010 04:07 PM In reply to

I must be thinking of the wrong sort of Motorcycle Trial Stick out tongue

• 06-29-2010 04:41 PM In reply to

That information wasn't in the email. Below is the email in its entirity

Dear Wendy,

Thanks very much for your interest in our research and for taking the time to provide feedback. I'm sorry that we can't include scooter riders on this occasion.   As this is a research trial it is important that we keep the participants in the sample as similar to each other as possible.  Motorcycle and scooter riders differ on a number of variables that warrants their inclusion in separate research trials.  Scooter riding has increased in recent years and the state government has a body of advisors who have already been advocating for a separate scooter safety study in future.  In addition, if the current trial is successful, there is no reason to assume it won't be made available (in a tailored form) to scooter riders as well as those who may be returning to riding after a break.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concerns.  Wishing you all the best with your riding.

Kind regards,

Christine.

----- Forwarded by Christine Mulvihill/Muarc/Staff/Monash on 28/06/2010 01:44 PM -----

To: Christine Mulvihill/Muarc/Staff/Monash@Monash
    Date: 28/06/2010 08:39 AM
    Subject: Fw: Vic ride

Toot The Scoot
  • 06-29-2010 04:44 PM In reply to

LOL Now if they included scooters in their trial we could probably learn to do that. SurpriseBig Smile

Toot The Scoot
  • 06-29-2010 04:48 PM In reply to

• Jobbie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-05-2010
    • Raymond Terrace, NSW
    • Posts 239

I have a motorcycle forum at work, along with other network forums. I posted one about the NSW green slips increase, and it was taken down. The explanation? As I work for the Australian Government, I was not allowed to criticise either State or Federal Government policy.

A few days later, this Vic Roads trial came out. Someone from interstate asked what had brought it about, so I posted a link to the Age newspaper article in which the Victorian Police Commissioner blasted motorcycle hoons. 

All I wrote was "Am I allowed to mention which State this article is from?". It, too, was taken down.

I think the trial is a good idea. I agree it's the high-powered cycle riders that need coaching first, then scooters. The trial involves being observed and debriefed on riding style over a distance of 400 kilometres. Most P plate scooter riders would not be able to keep up unless they all had 250cc or above. This is too difficult to manage, so we miss out. This is understandable. To quote Sam Kekovitch, "You know it makes sense!"

If it keeps one rider alive, it is worth while. But I can see it now- a future newspaper article 'My son was killed in a Govt trial- forced to ride while fatigued, etc.', and the pending trials.Super Angry I wish the trial well.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/Coachingtrialaworldfirstformotorcyclesafety.htm

Aprilia Sportcity 125 2007.
    Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie 2010.

3.23 l/100km
  • 06-29-2010 05:56 PM In reply to

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/NewsRoom/News+Releases/Coachingtrialaworldfirstformotorcyclesafety.htm Could the Vic Government then turn around & say the motorcyclists that have done the trial are safer . The new motercycle test is now based on the trial . It would be more expensive then to get a license causing less people to take up 2 wheels = result . Or an i just being cynical room for thought Big Smile

• 06-29-2010 08:40 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Like Jax I would be very interested to know who these scooter experts advising the government are. The only trial I wish to see is when our politicians are in the dock on treason charges for their breaches of our constitution this trial would produce a better result that any university one that relied on government funds as they will only give the government what they want, which wont be the truth.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 07-01-2010 02:44 PM In reply to

• Handy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-02-2010
    • Bendigo
    • Posts 7

Just had this email

Rebecca Ivers passed on your email regarding your concern over the exclusion of scooter riders in our on-road motorcycle coaching program.  

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide feedback and I'm sorry that we can't include scooter riders at this stage.   As this is a research trial it is important that we keep the participants in the sample as similar to each other as possible.  Motorcycle and scooter riders differ on a number of variables that warrants their inclusion in separate research trials.  However, I understand that some higher capacity scooter riders ride in the same types of environments and reach the same speeds as motorcycle riders and in that respect are probably not very different from motorcycle riders.  Therefore, I have passed on your query to others in the team to gauge their feedback.  

Scooter riding has increased in recent years and the state government has a body of advisors who have already been advocating for a separate scooter safety study in future.  In addition, if the current trial is successful, there is no reason to assume it won't be made available (in a tailored form) to scooter riders as well as those who may be returning to riding after a break.

I hope this helps to alleviate your concerns and I will let you know if anything changes.  Wishing you all the best with your riding.

Kind regards,
    Christine.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au