Scooter
Community

Rejetting with Leo Pipe?

Last post 07-06-2010 11:24 AM by mr.mow. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-30-2010 11:16 AM

• mr.mow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-31-2010
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 28

Rejetting with Leo Pipe?

Have a Yammie Beewee, just fitted a week or so back a LeoVince ZX pipe..

The guys at the shop (Yamaha) are telling me, 'oh get it in ASAP to rejet'.. Spoke to the guy at E2W, he reckons they run rich anyway, don't need a rejet.. (he has no vested interest as he wont do it anyway, so I value his opinion somewhat more!)

What say you tuning dudes? Do they NEED a rejet or are they trying to stich me for more cash? Only other mods going on will be a variator and clutch, It needs to stay relaible for day to day commuting, 0-80 speed is mroe important than top speed for me.

Cheers!

2T / 1C - punching smokey holes in the ozone
  • 06-30-2010 01:57 PM In reply to

Re: Rejetting with Leo Pipe?

You need to do a plug chop to see if your fuel mixture is correct

• 07-01-2010 05:41 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Well lets see the variables on an engine that can affect jet size.

1. Octane rating

2.air input

3. exhaust capacity/design

4.compression ration

5. head design ie valves

6.Plug type

7. ignition system

so if one is touched then we have a possible effect on the rest.

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 07-02-2010 10:46 AM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

This is a two stroke right ??

Wasnt sure because of the previous post that says valves ??

please dont do a plug chop as unleaded fuels dont mark the plugs like the old fuels and it will put you wrong and cause potentially expensive piston melt downs.

My experience with scooters to this point is that an exhaust doesnt require a jet change but they will normally put a larger jet in anyway.

Im not saying dont change jets Im just saying I havent found any of my bikes needed it.

To do to it right you need to use egt

• 07-02-2010 06:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for the information about plug chops waxhead i must try to keep up with the times

• 07-02-2010 08:28 PM In reply to

• waxhead
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-17-2007
    • gold coast
    • Posts 882

No problem

I wanst trying to be a smart ass in my reply

Just that unleaded gases dont colour the plug up like the old system

Egt is a better and 1000 times more acurate way to do it , if you get the egt right the scoot will come alive

• 07-03-2010 09:50 AM In reply to

I have to agree with WAX on this one, plug chops are a thing of the past and all usefulness died with the removal of LEADED fuel.

If you are serious about jetting,  a EGT is the only way to truly get it right, I have tested tuned scooters, and was told were jetted perfect and once a EGT is put on it to check,  there were scary exhaust temps at high revs.

You are realy just setting a base line looking at the plug from there its a matter of luck if you get it close not right.

Its good to see people paying attention to jetting, but half right will bring the engine undone or at worse reduce its life and just because it didnt fail dosent mean it was right.

• 07-05-2010 01:14 PM In reply to

• mr.mow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-31-2010
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 28

Rockin.. thanks guys.

Just curious I guess, cos the Leo pipe is not exactly a high performance race pipe by any stretch.

I've replaced exhausts on loads of big bikes and never touched the jetting (only one I ever had to do was a Ducati 900, but that had the airbox done as well).

Cheers.. the scoot actually seems to be running pretty well with the new pipe, wouldn't start when cold with the stock pipe, but runs nice with the Leo.. go figure!

• 07-05-2010 02:41 PM In reply to

Actualy the Leo Vince ZX is a good high performance pipe and i have raced with one for years and would recomend them to any rider.

Dont let people tell you there not, its usualy the engine that lets a Leo pipe down and with all the development work that went into my TYPHOON engine it soon pulled up around 10500rpm with a stock pipe, after some study and math work i redesigned the tuned length and it made the engine pull to 12000rpm so i think they are a good performance pipe for the money. I would rate it in front of most of the Gianelli's

The only point i have found with racing a LEO is the carbon silencer dosent like long revs and has to be replaced after a season.

I have cut both the(Giannelli next) and the( leo vince zx hand made) in to pieces and looked at them both from the inside, to find out how both are made and i rate the LEO way in front, After learning how easy it is to mod the LEO and gain big HP they are a winner for me.

Good luck and good choice.

• 07-06-2010 11:24 AM In reply to

• mr.mow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-31-2010
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 28

jtyphoon:

Actualy the Leo Vince ZX is a good high performance pipe and i have raced with one for years and would recomend them to any rider.

Dont let people tell you there not, its usualy the engine that lets a Leo pipe down and with all the development work that went into my TYPHOON engine it soon pulled up around 10500rpm with a stock pipe, after some study and math work i redesigned the tuned length and it made the engine pull to 12000rpm so i think they are a good performance pipe for the money. I would rate it in front of most of the Gianelli's

The only point i have found with racing a LEO is the carbon silencer dosent like long revs and has to be replaced after a season.

I have cut both the(Giannelli next) and the( leo vince zx hand made) in to pieces and looked at them both from the inside, to find out how both are made and i rate the LEO way in front, After learning how easy it is to mod the LEO and gain big HP they are a winner for me.

Good luck and good choice.

:) Its was a freebie! the worshop had one they were throwing out, just needed some paint and a clean up!

But, the carbon sleeve is starting to burn up, where do you source your parts from (ie a new muffler or sleeve)?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au