Scooter
Community

Would you convert a classic Vespa to electric?

Last post 05-10-2012 12:39 PM by SGN Scott. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-16-2010 10:12 PM

Would you convert a classic Vespa to electric?

Just curious what people think about converting a classic Vespa scooter to electric. I've been converting one for the past year or so and have been thinking that there might be a lot of people who love them the way they are and think that this is sacrilege. Anyway would be interested in your opinions.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• 08-16-2010 10:32 PM In reply to

• Roc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-20-2008
    • Posts 1

Re: Would you convert a classic Vespa to electric?

I would be curious to know how you have gone about this?....did you use the Vespa swing arm etc,.

Rocco......

• 08-16-2010 10:38 PM In reply to

An interesting idea. As to wether it would be 'sacrilege' or not depends on the scooter. It would be a shame if you did it to a Rally 200 or a GS150 but a Bajaj or Vietbodge....go for it.

Although to me the noise and smell of a 2 stroke engine is half it's charm IMHO

Cheers

Richard

soyachips:

Just curious what people think about converting a classic Vespa scooter to electric. I've been converting one for the past year or so and have been thinking that there might be a lot of people who love them the way they are and think that this is sacrilege. Anyway would be interested in your opinions.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• 08-16-2010 11:44 PM In reply to

if its what you want go for it . What is your expected range & speed . More information & pictures please

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-17-2010 09:32 AM In reply to

Psychogothoskabilly:

An interesting idea. As to wether it would be 'sacrilege' or not depends on the scooter. It would be a shame if you did it to a Rally 200 or a GS150 but a Bajaj or Vietbodge....go for it.

Although to me the noise and smell of a 2 stroke engine is half it's charm IMHO

Cheers

Richard

What he said.

People are always modifiying classic vespas anyway. Just look at what some of those crazy Germans do to them.

www.borderlinenuisancesc.com
  • 08-17-2010 12:56 PM In reply to

Roc:

I would be curious to know how you have gone about this?....did you use the Vespa swing arm etc,.

Rocco......

Yes we used the Vespa swing arm. We saw a couple of other conversions that used a hub motor and new swing arm but we liked the idea of keeping the original swing arm and also having more flexibility with gearing etc. once we got it running.

• 08-17-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

Psychogothoskabilly:

It's a Bajaj so maybe I'm safe Smile

• 08-17-2010 02:26 PM In reply to

pyrah:

if its what you want go for it . What is your expected range & speed . More information & pictures please

Based on calculations the range should be somewhere around 30km and speed should be 70km/h but because it's not registered yet I haven't been able to verify either of these. The range is limited because there's not a lot of room to put batteries on the scooter but it's enough for me to get to work and back. To get 70km/h I think I'm going to have to adjust the gearing. Also I'm new to riding so I probably won't be going 70km/h anytime soon unless its in a big open space!

I've started putting some information about the conversion on the Australian Electric Vehicle Forum here:

http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2172

• 08-17-2010 03:10 PM In reply to

Sounds good to me the installation looks tidy  Yes 

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 08-17-2010 04:58 PM In reply to

Wow, that does look very interesting! Smile

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 08-17-2010 09:09 PM In reply to

Looks very neat. I wonder if you could create a false floor under the running board to fit more batteries.

Without an exhaust, then a false floor shouldn't effect your ground clearance. 30km seems a bit limited a range.

Nice colour for a Bajaj, sort of Vindaloo meets Tandori with a dash of yoghurt.Big Smile

Cheers

Richard

• 08-17-2010 11:17 PM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

Well , when i read the post my thought was --oh yeh , an electric Vespa heh . Then as i scrolled down and came to the pic , i looked at it and then checked out the link you left and read your spec sheet and thought , this is no joke , this dude knows what he's doing , it looks soooo neat in the motor area and hek at 70kph , your only tad off the old girls original top speed anyway , the 30km range i guess is a bit of an obstacle , but if youv'e got this far with its development then i guess  you'll up the range somehow  if you feel you need  to.Good luck with it and can you please post updates and new pics as they come to handBig Smile  Its always good to see someone have a go at something new.

ps ---Can you rig up something on the motor that will emit 2 stroke fumes and slight puff of smoke , that'll then keep the purists contented  heheBig Smile

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
  • 08-17-2010 11:20 PM In reply to

Psychogothoskabilly:

Looks very neat. I wonder if you could create a false floor under the running board to fit more batteries.

Without an exhaust, then a false floor shouldn't effect your ground clearance. 30km seems a bit limited a range.

Nice colour for a Bajaj, sort of Vindaloo meets Tandori with a dash of yoghurt.Big Smile

Cheers

Richard

Hahaha I like your analogy of the colour!

I hadn't thought about putting more batteries under the floor which is funny because when I thought about where to put them in a car that seemed like the most obvious place! Out of the way, low centre of gravity, etc.

It's definitely possible to add more batteries to get more range but the problem then is weight. Currently the scooter weighs 100kg which is only a bit more than the original (87kg without fuel).

Actually now that I think about it, the batteries only weigh 20kg so I might be able to put another lot in parallel and double the range! Would have to make sure the frame could support it and the suspension and brakes still worked ok. I wonder what the engineer signing off on the conversion would think ... now you've got me thinking!

• 08-17-2010 11:49 PM In reply to

bradr:

Can you rig up something on the motor that will emit 2 stroke fumes and slight puff of smoke , that'll then keep the purists contented  heheBig Smile

You mean something like an internal combustion engine? But then I'd have to go to a petrol station Wink

• 08-18-2010 09:15 AM In reply to

• bradr
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • Nowra NSW
    • Posts 2,036

soyachips:
    You mean something like an internal combustion engine? But then I'd have to go to a petrol station Wink

No i was thinking of something like they use in the movies --a fake gizzmo to keep up appearances

Red ones always go faster but blue ones go pretty quick , but now blue ones are the way to go😄
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au