Scooter
Community

Would you convert a classic Vespa to electric?

Last post 05-10-2012 12:39 PM by SGN Scott. 31 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-18-2010 09:18 AM In reply to

Re: Would you convert a classic Vespa to electric?

soyachips:

bradr:

Can you rig up something on the motor that will emit 2 stroke fumes and slight puff of smoke , that'll then keep the purists contented  heheBig Smile

You mean something like an internal combustion engine? But then I'd have to go to a petrol station Wink

Steve@Ace has talked several times about rigging up something that will blow bubbles as you ride a long. Now that could be something that could be cause for hilarity, a Vespa blowing bubbles out of it's exhaust instead of 2t smoke Big Smile

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 08-27-2010 11:28 AM In reply to

• bloodnut
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-23-2010
    • Wollongong
    • Posts 24

Great colour!

I'm curious about the reasoning behind the conversion though. For me, it'd make sense if I didn't have to plug it into the grid to recharge it. So what are the charging times for say, a home wind generator or a small solar generator? Again I suppose it depends on the batteries and how many/quality etc.

• 08-27-2010 05:02 PM In reply to

yeh chuck a wind geny on the back and i want to see bubbles too

if you eat enough home grown broccoli and silverbeet you should be able to get enough wind to go for miles

dont get struck by a truck
  • 09-13-2010 08:56 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Hey, congratulations on your project so far.  As others have commented, it's a great looking job, clean finish while keeping the original look.

Keep posting your progress.

ciao,  Mike

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 09-13-2010 09:24 PM In reply to

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Well it's finally registered so I can legally ride it on the road!! Wohoo ... however now that I can ride it for longer periods I'm discovering some new problems. Nothing too major but unfortunately not quite there yet. Anyway hope to get it running properly soon and will post some videos.

• 09-13-2010 10:28 PM In reply to

Will look forward to that Yes

• 09-14-2010 08:35 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

yeh well done mate its a great project, extremely newsworthy.

What is old is once very new again...

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 09-14-2010 10:52 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Why not convert a truly iconic classic Vespa .

cheers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio Fly 150 and lovin it.

• 10-20-2010 01:37 PM In reply to

soyachips:
    Based on calculations the range should be somewhere around 30km and speed should be 70km/h but because it's not registered yet I haven't been able to verify either of these. The range is limited because there's not a lot of room to put batteries on the scooter but it's enough for me to get to work and back. To get 70km/h I think I'm going to have to adjust the gearing. Also I'm new to riding so I probably won't be going 70km/h anytime soon unless its in a big open space!

I've started putting some information about the conversion on the Australian Electric Vehicle Forum here:

http://www.aeva.asn.au/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2172

Thanks for sharing the link!

• 10-20-2010 03:37 PM In reply to

can we see some more of your lectric scoot

whered you put the batteries

dont get struck by a truck
  • 10-20-2010 07:39 PM In reply to

joshzingzing:

can we see some more of your lectric scoot

Wink There in the little Energizer Bunny that pushes the scooter along Stick out tongue

• 10-20-2010 10:20 PM In reply to

joshzingzing:

In total there are 16 cells. Each cell is 3.2 volt so the total voltage of the battery pack is 51.2 volts.

Eight of the cells are under the left cowling and the rest are under the seat where the fuel tank used to be.

• 01-04-2011 11:34 PM In reply to

I've been doing a little bit of riding on the scooter to test how everything is working and so far it's been pretty good. In terms of range I've been consistently getting 30km per charge but I haven't really pushed it yet as there are still some issues with the battery management system. Once that's sorted out I'll be able to charge the battery pack to a higher voltage and run them lower without risk of damage.

I've also made some changes to the gearing as my top speed was around 65km/h. The shop where I bought the motor said that I could safely run it at 1 mph per volt which at 51.2V equates to 82km/h, so I changed the small sprocket inside the crank case from 12 teeth to 14 teeth.

The taller gearing means that it doesn't accelerate as well as it did before but it now goes above 75km/h without any problems.

However, at these higher speeds, the scooter develops a noticeable wobble like the tyres are stuck in grooves in the road or something and the scooter moves a little from side to side. I'm not sure if it's coming from the front or the back wheel but it's pretty scary when it happens! It was pretty windy at the time which might have played a part but after doing a bit of searching online it seems like small wheels, tyre pressure, anything loose, bearings, frame or forks out of alignment, something to do with suspension? might be responsible. Is anyone an expert in these things that can shed some light and is there a way to improve or fix the problem?

As a start I'll check the bearings are ok and everything is done up like it should be. I was also thinking of getting some new inner tubes and tyres as I'm not sure how old these ones are.

• 01-19-2011 03:40 PM In reply to

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 01-19-2011 03:59 PM In reply to

Big SmileYes 

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au