Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Honda

Piaggio MP3 250

Last post 01-07-2014 07:36 AM by Kevin Nugent. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2007 07:32 PM

Piaggio MP3 250

Ok.  Before I start, lets be quite clear.  I am a dealer, and I sell this product. So you'll have to trust me that I am going to try to be as objective on it as I can be! 

We got our MP3's last Friday, so we've had our demo up and running for a week now.  It's been ridden on suburban roads, on the freeway, in the dry, in the wet and in the rain.  Its been ridden by scooter riders, motorcycle riders (and more than one motorcycle instructor) and us.  So I hope to give a fair representation of the comments that we've had back. 

First impressions are interesting.  I'm not sure what people expect, but ride it normally, and it rides remarkably like the X8 250.  A bit less responsive on initial take-off, but it quickly gets into the swing and is thereafter as responsive, despite the extra weight.  Your first sense that something is a bit different is when you start to steer it, and you start to notice that the extra weight at the front gives it a very different feel than other scooters.  Not better, not worse but different. And being creatures of habit, different isn't necessarily a positive response.  However this initial difference does begin to change when you get a bit more time on the machine, and as you get used to the handling, you start to notice the positive side more.  You certainly start to feel more adventurous, and in the wet, much of ones initial trepidation disappears as it clings to the road like glue.  Braking is excellent, and skidding the rear wheel can be all to easy if you hammer the brakes on - but even still it pulls up in a straight line.   Given the weight, the performance has outweighed my expectation, and it will sit and accelerate comfortably at freeway speeds - its not ridden in yet, so I haven't tested how far it can comfortably run, but it feels like the gearing has been altered to give performance lower probably at the expense of the very top speeds - however there is still plenty for the majority of users for the majority of situations.

What has most interested me is that the joy of this vehicle creeps up on you.  You only realise just how good it is when you've had a chance to get used to it and then go back to riding on two wheels again!  That's when you really notice the difference.  

Anyway, that's my starter for 10.  More to follow when I share with you how extremely odd it feels to be sitting at the traffic lights with your feet up!!  And how it feels to be the centre of attention!

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 10-27-2007 12:29 AM In reply to

• flasho
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 116

Re: Piaggio MP3 250

Man how cool would it be see 10 or 15 of these hurtling round Phillip Island ! to have a class of their own ! maybe call it "The hybrid class"  if some enterprizing person was to convince the race committee to incorporate these into the Phillip Island race weekend, just to wet your taste buds before the big race it would be an absolute show stopper ! I would pay anything to see them ! might even be a bigger crowd pleaser than the main race? who knows?

• 10-27-2007 01:22 PM In reply to

Now there is a thought - and in the Fuoco 500cc class, it would be better still!  I'm surprised the Europeans haven't already done it yet - they'll race anything!!

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 10-28-2007 06:08 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

Last week I took the MP3 out for a second test ride (the first impression I posted elsewhere on the form)

I still found it quite strange which is to be expected as it is such a different concept, the dealer said that he had been riding it most days and was only now starting to get used to flicking the switch as you come to a stop, but he still puts his feet down. Second time round I felt more in control when riding but still noticed the weight when going into a corner or doing u-turns but it did feel stable and you have much more confidence leaning hard into corners. The Foresight I ride now has a park brake but the one on this scoot is much easier to apply. The brakes are great I was very mindfull not to squeeze to hard. Missed not having any glove compartments. We tried getting my full face lid which is a extra small (Arai) in the boot but no go, had to put it on its side under the seat, the room under the seat does not seem to be very deep but wide and long. My problem with it is the seat height, I am only 160cm and 53kg, I found balancing 200+kg on my big toes a bit unnerving. To be able to get the front end to engage you have to be going quite slow (under 16km or 300rpm)  My fear is if I have to brake fast and take the weight of the scoot it and I will go down. Stopping at lights with your feet up was good and an eye opener for those around, lots of second looks from people.

I really liked the scoot and love the concept but I'm sure I could handle the weight if I could have more of my feet on the ground.

Dealer told me to come back and have another ride and he will look into the seat height.

The most popular colour puchase he tells me has been black but I think if buy one it will be silver, not very keen on the red. He did'nt think the blue would do well and so has not ordered one, it is the same as the Vespa pale blue metalic. We all have our own tastes in colour. I think it a great looking scooter, looks much better in the flesh than photos.

Trusty 'Beo has found a new home.
    New adventures on the BMW 650.

• 10-30-2007 10:18 AM In reply to

You raise some interesting points.

1) the storage is certainly odd - you can get a fullface in the boot, but its easier to put in upside down.  Hadn't thought about putting one on its side in the front - that might work, because I haven't been able to get one to fit there otherwise!

2) under hard braking conditions, it would be a challenge to put the lock on.  Your mind is on other things, so remembering to flick the switch wouldn't be one of them!  Over time I'm finding it easier to use the lock, but it's hard to unlearn ones tendency to put a foot down - or indeed not stop with the scooter at the slight lean you would if you were putting it down!   Lock or not, I think that unless you feel comfortable holding it at traffic lights without the lock but with your feet, then it might be too high for you :-( 

3) we have a blue one as a demo.  Azzuro Sky is one of those colours that people really, really love - or are fairly indifferent towards.  Personally, I like the classic Vespa/Piaggio colours, like this one - and we like it on the demo because it gets attention!

How did you get on when you got back on 2 wheels again?   Interestingly I found it was when I went back onto 2-wheels that I really understood just how good from a handling/ride perspective that the MP3 is.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 10-30-2007 07:37 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

Hi steve@ace,

1) We tried with my arai to put it in upside down also played with different angles of entry but it was a no go. Even removed my bluetooth from the side. The dealer was stumped, I do have air intakes on the top but the helmet is XSmall, could not imagine how you would go with Xlarge in the same model arai lid. I was disappointed  as the boot was my preferred way to store the lid because of the convenance.

2) The dealer said that as soon as you hit the brakes hard you can put the lock on and it will engage, because the rpm's drop fast and something about the rotation of the disc? I'm not quite willing to give that one ago. At first every time I engaged the front end it was on a lean, you really have to stay upright and have confidence that it will engage. Sometimes I was sure that the light was indicating to engage but when I stopped it was not engaged, just practice I'm sure to get the timing right.

3) I would have liked to see the blue in the flesh, as this was my first colour choice and it is hard to tell from photo's. When I asked he said that he thought the colour did not suit as it was to soft, and so had not ordered one. I thought the silver may longer term have better resale value?

I suppose because I am able to get my feet more on the ground (not flat) on my scoot, I felt more in control when stopping. But I agree from the first and much more by the second ride I knew what to expect so could appreciated the stability of cornering and just the handling in general which is superb.

If I could have the seat altered so I did'nt have to balance the MP3 on my toes I would probably buy one. My husband is the main driving force because of safety ( he is definitely not a two wheel rider but I'm trying to convince him)

Cheers:) 

• 10-31-2007 06:44 PM In reply to

Hi Denni

1)  I've tried again - and yes, you can fit a full face under the seat on its side, and one in the boot - though you do have to put it in upside down.  I guess if the the air intakes on the top made the helmet too tall, then it wouldn't fit in, but I've tried a M2R M10 (which has an air scoop on the top) and a Nolan N102 flip-up successfully. 

2) I'm sure that it can be done, but in a hard braking situation I would expect one would have enough on ones plate to concentrate on without remembering the lock too!  You should be able to get the seat lowered - I'm aware that there are people who can do this, but it depends how much you need to lower it. They essentially take the stitching off, recut the foam and stitch it up again slightly smaller (a seat tuck, if you will).

3) If you think you might like the blue, then wait till you've seen it before you make your mind up!  Its a big enough investment that you'd want to make sure you get the right colour :-)     In terms of resale value, sure - you might have more people who would want a silver one, but if you have something more unusual, you might find its gets a higher price because it's rarer. 

Cheers

Steve

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-02-2007 11:42 PM In reply to

• scud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-02-2007
    • Posts 1

Ive just purchased a Piaggio MP3 last week as a long time motorcyclist thinks its a wonderful machine,braking is expectional,handling fantastic and the engine

is fine although not run in yet.Sure its only 250cc but its a great little motor having previously owned a Piaggio X-9 i know from experience.Im sure Piaggio will

sell lots worldwide with petrol prices,traffic congestion becoming worse every year.

One thing noone has brought up although minor,the MP3 doesnt have a mobile phone charging socket on it.When i mentioned this to Piaggio

at the Sydney Motorcycle show they gave me a blank stare then proceeded to look for one in vain.I do love riding the MP3(I also own a 650cc Burgman)

and find the more i ride the MP3 the more i think it will be harder to go back to a 2 wheel scooter/Bike.So If you see an MP3 scooting down Wollongong way with a bodyboard attached give me wave because its most likely me.

Scud

• 11-03-2007 10:59 AM In reply to

I'd still love to see Malossi or Polini come out with something like a 290cc or 300cc kit for the MP3 250, the increase would make it almost perfect in my opinion - best balance between weight and performance when compared to the 400 or the Fuoco (especially the Fuoco).  That said, if they were able to stick the Fuoco on a diet and trim a fair chunk of weight off that could throw the balance back in the 500's favour.

Just my thoughts, comments and opinions.  Cheers :)

• 11-05-2007 10:56 AM In reply to

• VENTURI
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-28-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 442

Denni,

As for the seat modification, I have heard this guy is good & on the Gold Coast I think

http://www.mcroadrunner.com.au/

• 11-05-2007 02:48 PM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

Thanks Venturi,

I had the seat on the Foresight done in Brisbane and the dealer orgsanised the whole thing. All he did was make it lower and convert the pillion for single modification. While he did a good job I wish had known about this guy,I would have also had the seat made narrower. Had a look on the web site he has done some great work.

Still thinking about the MP3, may take it out again. I was thinking if I up grade to that weight I could go to a 400 with a lot more grunt. Sometimes the Foresight seems just to slow. Just started looking into up grading my licence, will have investigate what scoots they supply for the test. Don't think I will do what I did the first time. Got my learners on thursday scoot delivered on friday and Q ride sunday went in monday to get updated licence. Strange looks from the staff behind counter but it was all legal. I must say though I had been riding 250cc bikes on and off for many years, but with a jump in weight and power I would much rather take it slow to make sure it's the right choice for me:)

• 12-20-2007 07:43 PM In reply to

• rosco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Bega, NSW
    • Posts 15

John Moorehouse is excellent with seats  (link) - he rebuilt my seat totally and did a great job...

• 12-21-2007 09:12 AM In reply to

• Denni
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Gold Coast
    • Posts 994

Thanks Rosco, he looks to do some intricate work!

Cheers:) 

• 12-21-2007 11:51 AM In reply to

• rosco
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Bega, NSW
    • Posts 15

It's a shame his website isn't better, but the work he does is excellent. He's damned helpful too... we had dropped the seat off on our way to visit family up north and on the way back crashed the car. He brought the seat over to Brisbane airport to give us as we made our way home.

• 06-12-2008 07:43 AM In reply to

I thought I'd put in a recent review based on my experiences.

1. My helmet goes in fine upside down and chin end first, into the 'boot'. My jacket then goes under the seat, on top of my rain gear.

2. This scoot rocks!!! I usually take the full three months or more to get up the first 1000 k, not on this.Less than two months and I'm there despite the worsening weather. It's just too much fun too ride.

3. Confidence is what it inspires, big time. I am having to watch myself a bit as I have found myself doing things like a dirt bike take off, with one foot planted, going around a curve. (old old habits resurfaced).

4. Despite its weight it is very chuckable. I find I am riding in a more 'agressive' fashion. (not towards people).

I was very pleased with the low cost of the first service as I expected it to be over $200 for a new type of machine, but it was closer to $150.

5. Road conditions do not concern it much. I have found wind not a problem and those dug up bitumen type tracks not a problem.

6. Going to Westerway I found the suspension a bit hard as the road is bitumen but rough ( I think to allow for frost , ice and possibly snow) and I felt it through my seat and the bars. That was the only time I have felt that and it could be the tyres too pumped. I haven't checked.

7. The feeling the front end is flat soon goes as you get used to it.

8. I always put my feet down at stops as I don't want to get into bad habits in case of emergency stops or if I find the need to ride a two wheeler again.

9. I am totally hooked on my mp3 and have added smiley star stickers. You cab view them at the ttag forum at www.coffeescoffer.com/forum , go to the gallery.

10. I call my mp3 'the escape pod' because I feel that when I'm riding it I can escape from reality for a while. It is a hoot big time.Big Smile

Previously many road/trail bikes
    Honda Spacy , Scarabeo 200
    Hyundai Rally 100, Scarabeo 500
    MP3 250, Hyosung gv650
    Fuoco, Bonniville
    Piaggio Fly 125
    Scarabeo 500ie (2010)
    Piaggio Fly 150ie (2012)+
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    http://www.coffeescoffer.com
    http://tastag.coffeescoffer.com (forum)
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >