Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Hit by car today...

Last post 09-23-2010 09:23 PM by Scooternut. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2010 06:12 PM

Hit by car today...

Feeling in major need of some understanding from fellow scooterists today! Got hit by a car on a roundabout this arvo on my way homne from work... Luckily I am not majorly hurt and the bike looks fairly ok... Stupid driver didnt even look just pulled into the roundabout and into me. Am sooooo angry! Actually this particular roundabout in crows nest in Sydney is scary, lots of car drivers dont even slow down...Super Angry

Sally the pink mio has been traded in for a dark blue HD200evo!!!
  • 09-22-2010 06:20 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Re: Hit by car today...

' Quick stops ' ,are only going to save by hit by a car or a car cutting in front of you . I have many cars cut in front of me and trying to turn onto the main cutting front  of the scooter / motorcycle . Car drivers do not look at scooter or motorcycle riders . 'Quick stops ' will save your life .

cheers.

purplelou:

Feeling in major need of some understanding from fellow scooterists today! Got hit by a car on a roundabout this arvo on my way homne from work... Luckily I am not majorly hurt and the bike looks fairly ok... Stupid driver didnt even look just pulled into the roundabout and into me. Am sooooo angry! Actually this particular roundabout in crows nest in Sydney is scary, lots of car drivers dont even slow down...Super Angry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio fly 150 and lovin it .

• 09-22-2010 06:31 PM In reply to

Glad that you are Ok.  That is the main thing Smile

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 09-22-2010 06:34 PM In reply to

• Jobbie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-05-2010
    • Craigmore, SA
    • Posts 238

Sorry to hear that. Did he stop after he hit you? Is it only cosmetic damage to the Scoot?

Aprilia Sportcity 125 2007.
    Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie 2010.

3.25 l/100km
  • 09-22-2010 06:40 PM In reply to

Not good! Glad you're ok, but still! Do try to get back on a scooter ASAP to stop any anxieties building up. Have you reported the incident to the police?

Who looks after the roads over there? The local councils are responsible for urban roads here. If it's a dangerous intersection it could be worth reporting to the responsible body. The more people raise the issue, the more likely it is that something will be done.

Again, SO glad you're OK.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 09-22-2010 07:13 PM In reply to

Glad you are physically OK its the annoyance that takes longer to subside  

• 09-22-2010 07:32 PM In reply to

The driver did stop afterwards, he admitted he didnt see me. I couldnt have stopped once i was on the roundabout, ( i did try once i realised he wasnt going to but then he hit me - it was too late ) It is a really small roundabout and alot of drivers just dont even slow down for it.  i did stop before i pulled on to it, he hadnt reached the roundabout then, he was on my left and not at the give way sign yet... anyway it happened!

I think the bike is ok, hubby went to lock it up tonight... am thinking maybe it is time to just start taking the bus though...

• 09-22-2010 08:42 PM In reply to

purplelou:
    I think the bike is ok, hubby went to lock it up tonight... am thinking maybe it is time to just start taking the bus though...

Oh no, you don't want to do that! One of the reasons why I got my scooter when I did (I'd been thinking about it for a while) was nearly getting hit by a couple of drunk people (one guy, one woman) on a bus when I intervened after they started abusing the bus driver... I feel much safer on my scooter ;)

• 09-22-2010 08:45 PM In reply to

Don't quite get back in the saddle as soon as you can you will then regain your confidence faster 

• 09-22-2010 08:49 PM In reply to

• miketl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2007
    • Kingston, Southern Tassie
    • Posts 755

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but as others have posted, am so glad you were not injured.  Here's hoping you will get back on your scoot and not let this deter you from enjoying what scootering offers.

ciao,  Mike

Riding an 08 Vespa PX 200, and a 2012 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow
    previously big red Audrey an Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie, an Aprilia Scarabeo 200, and originally a Suzuki F50 Step-through
  • 09-23-2010 02:35 AM In reply to

• Magoo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-05-2008
    • WA
    • Posts 804

so you want understanding from fellow scooterists?......well you have one here.....Been there, done that....this January, I was hit by a 4wd who came out in front of me.....I dont remember the rest, except the police had to reverse the 4wd to un-wedge my scooter from the 4wd's rear tyre.

Paramedis said I should be dead, based on where I landed and how I was positioned lying on the road. But I was very very lucky, they told me. Please dont give up scootering.....I decided to give up while I was being checked over in hospital, but the paramedic, and scooternut strongly urged me to get back on ASAP, before anxiety set in, so I did. And just to add.....I still use the same roundabout and still have cagers' flying thru without looking, but im very prepared at this particular roundabout.

Filed under:
  • 09-23-2010 07:07 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

My sympathy Lou. Its awful when your beautiful scooter gets hit by a driver who doesnt look. I can understand your anger. Number 1 get the scoot assessed for damage and get the drivers insurance to fix every little scratch. Number 2 book into a post licence riders class at a place like Hart. This will help get your confidence back and refine some of your slow speed road skills. I'll be on Hols next week if you want a hand with anything, Keep your chin up mate.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-23-2010 07:14 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

purplelou:
    .. am thinking maybe it is time to just start taking the bus though...
    If you have enjoyed two-wheeling up to this point then you do need to get back into the saddle as soon as possible.

I had an accident at a roundabout last April (Friday the 9th.....the date is engraved on my brain!) when a driver started to enter the intersection and I reacted by grabbing too much front brake. Down I went.
    Long story short......no fractures but lots of bruising and six months later I still don't have full movement in one shoulder.

However, I needed to get back onto a 'bike ASAP and a week after the accident I took the second unit out early one Sunday morning, when the traffic was light.

I even rode through the same roundabout a couple of times, just to reassure myself that it wasn't jinxed. Smile
    I was damned if I was going to let a fall eat away at my confidence and possibly destroy the enjoyment I got from two-wheeling.

So Lou, if you get enjoyment from riding, hop onto the scooter early one morning and do what I did.......go for a ride.

Bruce

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 09-23-2010 11:03 AM In reply to

Thanks everyone for your good wishes... the bike is being sorted by the insurance and taken to be checked out. It is being treated as not my fault so no excess or anything...

I have to say a HUGE thanks and Yes to ALison at Insure my ride. Their offices are really close to the crash and she lives close to me - she has gone above and beyond the call of duty by checking out the scoot herself, coming to pick up the keys to the lock so we could lock it overnight and is coming tonight to bring them back to me and take the scoot keys herself to the repairers in Hornsby cos she is going that way on a ride anyway. She is an angel! Huge thanks and i can rest and nurse my bruises and watch movies all day in peace!

I probably will get back on when I get the scoot back, fingers crossed there wont be much damage and it wont take too long!

• 09-23-2010 11:19 AM In reply to

good! dont let the bastards get you down

take a chill pill ,,it is stressfull

let the insurance mob sort out your bike

an good luck

dont get struck by a truck
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au