Scooter
Community

New to the forums and Scooters

Last post 09-30-2010 02:06 PM by SteelMoon. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-29-2010 02:58 PM

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

New to the forums and Scooters

Hi, I’m a new member of this forum, but I’ve been reading it for about 4 months. I have been interested about getting into the 2 wheeled world for some time but just never got around to it. A couple of years ago I read “Vroom with a View” by Peter Moore and this really got me thinking about travelling around Australia on a Vespa at some point in my life.

So with the confidence a midlife crisis can offer, I booked in for 2 half day L’s course at Clyde (giving my wife the last chance to veto, which she didn’t) 2 months ago.  I was apprehensive as I haven’t ridden a push bike much since I was 17 and the only experience with a motor bike was a mini bike when I was 9ish. I have to say that the first few efforts where wobbly (no engine at this stage just someone pushing me). I was really glad that I took the auto option. However, I started to get better quickly and by the end of the second day I was riding ok, at least good enough to pass.

Mission accomplished now what to buy? I read a lot of reviews in these pages and through other websites. At this point in time a Vespa was out of the question due to me being an absolute learner and not having the cash. Another factor was locality, The Scooter Store is my closest shop and I didn’t want any maiden trip to be to far from home. So it seems a lot of people thought the Piaggio Fly 150 was a good scooter to begin with and the Scooter Store has them.

I went down one Sunday itching to have a look at them. Sadly it was through the window as the shop was closed. You can imagine, just got my L’s and in need of something to ride. I did get a chance later in the week thanks to my daughter’s conjunctivitis. Well she felt ok and was running around and well…. One little 5 min look wouldn’t hurt would it.

Maybe 30 minutes and a $500 deposit later we were heading back home to face the bank and my wife. Thankfully they were both ok with the idea. But it did take the bank almost 2 weeks to get the money to where it needed to go.

I am the proud owner of a white Piaggio Fly 150. I’m thinking of starting a review as there isn’t one for the 150. There is one for the 125, probably isn’t much different though.

This is a longer post than I planned, must be some kind of passion thing developing.

Piaggio Fly 150, Traded at 6000km's to Red GTS 250 20 000km's
    Full license 10/11/11.
  • 09-29-2010 03:19 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Re: New to the forums and Scooters

ansur:
    must be some kind of passion thing developing.

another ADDICT in our clutches Yes

welcome aboard ansur.

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 09-29-2010 04:22 PM In reply to

Well done on passing your test, and correct choice of scooter Big Smile

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 09-29-2010 07:19 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

Thanks steve and I think you are right Jax.

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 09-29-2010 07:30 PM In reply to

welcome aboard

Tha' can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha' can't tell 'im much
  • 09-29-2010 07:35 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Yes welcome ansur, congrats on the purchase.

Hope you can stick around for a while, always something going on here.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 09-29-2010 07:46 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • PERTH , WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    • Posts 420

Congrats on passing your license , excellent choice of scooter. Big Smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White Paggio Fly 150 2010 and lovin it  .

• 09-29-2010 08:13 PM In reply to

ditto what the others have said. I'm afraid there's no cure for scooter addiction & so you may as well just enjoy it & feed it at every opportunity Wink

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 09-30-2010 08:20 AM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

Thanks everyone. 

SteelMoon, Have you ever had a problem with your fly stalling. Mine stalled going through a roundabout, scared the crap at of me, luckily it wasn't busy. It was low on fuel at the time. After filling up it stalled at an intersection, maybe 5 mins later. I had only done 400km at the time. Another 150km since and no stalling at all, it does sound like it is backfiring a little when I ease of the throttle coming towards a stop.

I should be up to the 1000km service in a week or two so I can get them to check it all out.

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 09-30-2010 08:44 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

May need some idle adjustment but if it has not stalled since then I would not adjust. The scooter is running itself in and the piaggio motor likes a few k's on the clock. Backfiring or some kind of misfire on slowdown can be quite normal. Putting km's on the clock will be the best thing for this scooter, don't p-u-s-s-y it either.

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 09-30-2010 09:09 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,087

Is the Fly 150 fuel injected or carbi?

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 09-30-2010 09:22 AM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

I don't know why I waited so long to join. You guys are very supportive and helpful.

Thanks Allen. Misfire is a better description of what is happening and I will not be so gentle on her. I had a feeling the idle might need a look, but I'm not going to worry about it as it hasn't stalled since.

Pete the fly is a carbi.

Full license 10/11/11.
  • 09-30-2010 10:55 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

petegailey:
    Is the Fly 150 fuel injected or carbi?

its carb mate

www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 09-30-2010 01:56 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 420

No problems what so ever in the Piaggio fly 150 , never had problems of stalling , it has been perfect for me . The first 1,000 kms you should go now higher than between 80 - 90 km's per hour for the initial first 1,000 km's run in period , because the Piaggio fly 150 has a 7.2 litre tank , it will require filling it up more often . I been very happy with the Piaggio fly 150 , so far the Piaggio fly 150 has done , 1,106 km's , it has been in for the run in service at Ace Scooters. More you ride the Piaggio fly 150 , more it will get better fuel economy , and better it becomes.

Service intervals are run in service : 1,000 kms , then every 6,000 kms .

ansur:

Thanks everyone. 

SteelMoon, Have you ever had a problem with your fly stalling. Mine stalled going through a roundabout, scared the crap at of me, luckily it wasn't busy. It was low on fuel at the time. After filling up it stalled at an intersection, maybe 5 mins later. I had only done 400km at the time. Another 150km since and no stalling at all, it does sound like it is backfiring a little when I ease of the throttle coming towards a stop.

I should be up to the 1000km service in a week or two so I can get them to check it all out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White 2010 Piaggio Fly 150 and lovin it.

• 09-30-2010 02:06 PM In reply to

• SteelMoon
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2008
    • Posts 420

Another picture of Piaggio fly 150.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piaggio fly 150 and lovin it.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au