Scooter
Community

NSW Protective Clothing survey - HELP wanted

Last post 10-05-2010 10:21 PM by hcrun. 33 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-02-2010 12:42 PM In reply to

Re: NSW Protective Clothing survey - HELP wanted

OK, so I read the submission. It is not about laws regarding protective clothing (although that could come out of it), but just about motorcycle/scooter accidents and what, if anything, could or should be done to reduce inuries/fatalities.

But on the subject of protective clothing, I learned to ride in a much safer period when traffic was not so heavy, and I do worry about new riders going out into the traffic of today. I have suggested before that L and P platers should have to have all the gear, and it becomes optional when they have their full licence. This would ensure that they have the gear, and might get them into the habit of using it. But the downside is the added expense when buying a first bike.

Mike

• 10-02-2010 05:36 PM In reply to

Take this proposal even further --The govt has only a one seat majority and they would have to legislate this protective clothing matter on a federal basis

Clothing manufacturers would scream ,bikers from across Oz would scream because they wouldnt want to toss out their current clothing and Harley and other leather jackets and Julia hasnt got the intesinal fortitude to push such a proposal for fear of losing a vote on it in this parliament

Imagine a cop pulling up a big gruff hairy biker and asking to see the labels on his pants jackets or vest and shoes .

riding for fun
  • 10-02-2010 10:23 PM In reply to

• niks
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-22-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 1,114

Jax:

niks:
    lets get this discussed with government rather than more of the nanny state attitude.

Hey Niks - what the hell do you think we are doing at the Staysafe Committee... did you even read the submission we put in?

click here

Confused

Read my post carefully its about government fixing the poor roads and repairs, not about talking about what i should wear and giving another cash cow to standards Australia to milk manufacturers for a standards label..

Majesty YP 250 plus. "the way to go".
  • 10-03-2010 12:04 AM In reply to

Before they could make protective gear mandatory surly there would have to be an Australian standards and tests like for helmets

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-03-2010 08:05 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

pyrah:

Before they could make protective gear mandatory surly there would have to be an Australian standards and tests like for helmets

Yes.
    Whenever something has been made mandatory on the lines of improving safety (wearing seat belts, using child safety capsules, wearing bicycle helmets, wearing hard hats on construction sites, wearing motor-bike helmets etcetera etcetera) then a set of Australian Standards has been established first.

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 10-03-2010 08:11 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

niks:
    Read my post carefully its about government fixing the poor roads and repairs....,
    How odd.
    I see that here in Canberra - where we have what are widely considered to be the best roads in Oz - all of the serious and fatal accidents have been due to reasons other than poor road surfaces.

Bruce

• 10-03-2010 10:31 AM In reply to

Yes --They will have to create a STANDARD and some dopey Government  guy will sit down and after an extremely long period of time come up with some formula that he thinks should apply to how jackets pants shoes etc should be made to help save your life.Then the Govt will sit on it for another period of time ,contemplating whether the results are good enpough to legislate and maybe in 2080 we may have an answer

In the meantime they may impose restrictions on the sale of Jackets ,pants and shoes that do not provide some semblance of protection and maybe even bring in a law to fine you if you atre not wearing  approved items

This is similiar to the Carbon tax that they are talking about at present -We will pay a tax for the carbon that we create because maybe that carbon is going to warm the planet and kill all of us --But no one knows exactly if this is true or not

Now around the world other nations have not agreed on a carbon tax likewise no other country has set a STANDARD for motorcycle clothing

We could be the 1st in the world  so if you are buying new gloves ,jacket ,pants or boots you had better ask the retailer will your purchase comply with the new STANDARDS and if he says Yes then you know he is lying .

Government thinks that we do not have the common sense to protect ourselves ,but they are forgetting it is a basic human instinct which thankfully only a small number of us ignore .   

riding for fun
  • 10-03-2010 12:58 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Rod Fountain:
    ......some dopey Government  guy will sit down and after an extremely long period of time come up with some formula that he thinks should apply to how jackets pants shoes etc should be made to help save your life.......etc
    Rod, if you have never been involved in creating a Standard - or working to a Standard (usually QA, Enviro or OH&S) - then I think you need to spend half-an-hour browsing the following site before leaping to conclusions.
    Pay particular attention to the section "Developing Standards".

Standards Australia

• 10-05-2010 09:46 AM In reply to

I am not criticising "Standards " It just that they take ages to create and when created --Who polices them to see that they are adhered to.

How many times have you had someone ask you whether the helmet you are wearing conforms to the Aussie Standard ??????

Most items these days are assessed by engineers and other qualified people to see if they are suitable for the use they are designed for .

Do we really need someone to say the jeans I wear should not split in the back seam if I land on my ass on the road and even if they judged jackets for the protection of a rider ,who will control the riders safety if he doesnt wear such jacket the way the Standard says  it should  be worn.

Like I said earlier --its some Govt person looking for a job to justify the money they pay him  and regardless of whether they set a Standard for Motorcycle clothing or not ,it will be up to the individual rider to make the decision as to whether he/she wears the gear or not

riding for fun
  • 10-05-2010 02:48 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 10-05-2010 03:44 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Rod Fountain:
    ....It just that they take ages to create...
     All part of the checks and balances for anything that is presented as a prospect for Standardisation. This is not a procedure that is rushed through; would you want it to be?!
    Just because a proposal is made does not mean that (a) a Standard will automatically result or (b) that the proposal may not be required to undergo changes and resubmissions many times.

Rod Fountain:
    Who polices them to see that they are adhered to.....
    If a company or business or organisation adopts a Standard - whether it be for a manufacturing process (QA), an OH&S management system or an Environmental management system - then there are at least two ways in which checks can be made on whether that company, business or organisation is complying with the requirements of that Standard.

One way is through internal audits, usually carried out on a regular frequency throughout the year.
    Another is through external audits, usually made six-monthly.
    If the company, business or organisation has sought and been granted a certification (such as SAI-Globals '5 ticks' - the most recognised mark) then external audits are mandatory.

Rod Fountain:
    How many times have you had someone ask you whether the helmet you are wearing conforms to the Aussie Standard ??????
    Never. There's an SAI-Global '5-tick' sticker on it if anyone needs to check.

Rod Fountain:
    ....who will control the riders safety if he doesnt wear such jacket the way the Standard says  it should  be worn.
    With regard to clothing (PPE) you should realise that a Standard will only apply for the item to adhere to design and manufacturing standards and, in order to be accepted, it will need to pass testing, obviously.
    As you mentioned, there is little point in designing a pair of jeans to be rated under a proposed Standard if the jeans don't hold together under abrasive conditions (if the simulation of such conditions are used for the testing).
    But no Standard can guarantee how an item will be worn or whether it will be worn at all. That's up to the individual, just as it is now with non-rated PPE and rated PPE (helmets).

Rod Fountain:
    ....its some Govt person looking for a job to justify the money they pay him 
    You obviously haven't read the information on Standards Australia website, otherwise you would see that it is not "some Govt person looking for a job....".
    I think you are being deliberately stubborn.

I have been involved on and off with QA and OH&S Standards, audits and certification since 1984 and I can assure you that it is complicated, can be very drawn-out and is at times extremely frustrating but is far from what you perceive to be a one-man money-making Government operation.

Bruce

• 10-05-2010 07:19 PM In reply to

Never. There's an SAI-Global '5-tick' sticker on it if anyone needs to check.                Huh? Doesn't necessarily have to be a  SAI-Global '5-tick' sticker on the helmet there are other companies authorized to certify helmets Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-05-2010 07:22 PM In reply to

• fluffy
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-26-2009
    • Earlwood
    • Posts 241

Wow,

Having read the STR submission, this has gone way off topic.  The submission actually proposed something like a star rating, much like that on a fridge.  You're still free to buy a 1-star fridge knowing it'll cost you an arm and a leg to run, the same would apply to that cheap jacket and pants in a more literal sense.

I strongly encourage you all to read through the voluminous submission, because in there you will find something to really be angry about- the insidious influence of one particular bureaucrat and his anti-motorcycle prejudice.

(just taking 'off topic' in another direction!)

Brad

Tmax, Naughty Kimmy.
    Mavis the Beverly, a feisty shunter, sold!
  • 10-05-2010 08:33 PM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 10-05-2010 09:31 PM In reply to

LOL will have to be a good jacket to stop them Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au