Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Take the Poll

Last post 10-22-2010 07:12 PM by hcrun. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2010 09:00 AM

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Take the Poll

Electric or Hybrid Poll

Interested in seeing a few thoughts on what everybody thinks of Electric Scooters.

With PGO developing a mass produced Hybrid also, is it time? Yamaha have the EC-03 and I bet the Milan show will have a huge range of electric options.

Poll is here

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/14812/106300.aspx#106300

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 10-21-2010 09:16 AM In reply to

Re: Take the Poll

I have just taken the poll, and 100% of voters say electric or hybrid is a waste of time. I guess that settles that!

Mike 

• 10-21-2010 09:26 AM In reply to

The poll is now evened up! Stick out tongue

I'd happily take en electric scooter given two critical points:

- weight max 150kg

- full-charge range >100km

and desirable ...

- fast-charge option to say ~50km range

- strong preference for direct drive (motor in wheel)

- battery distribution that helps solve the scooter rear-weight bias problem

I agree - a hybrid is a total waste of time given scooter consumption!

A scooter is almost the ideal configuration for a city electric vehicle ...

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 10-21-2010 09:38 AM In reply to

What poll?????? for me I want to stay with petrol  

riding for fun
  • 10-21-2010 09:48 AM In reply to

• Jax
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-23-2008
    • Sydney
    • Posts 3,129

I'd get one if they'd let me take it in the bicycle lanes!!

Need scooter parking? www.mcnetwork.com.au on the web or on your iPhone or Android phone
    MCNetwork - using Google maps to plot every parking spot, every dealer, every shop - linked to every product for your scooter.

• 10-21-2010 10:43 AM In reply to

When electric can do a 150 km round trip at 100 kph that would be the time i will consider buying one

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 10-21-2010 04:24 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

11 polsters so far, would love to make this poll one where we could see a significant trend

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 10-21-2010 04:51 PM In reply to

I reckon that they will have their time.  Just wait till we can get these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ViyTzUNNU4

The biggest problem I think is that every one that has been launched so far has either been too expensive (ie Vectrix), too crap (ie pretty much everything originating from the People's Republic), or the additional advantages conferred (ie being able to ride in areas where no petrol driven vehicles can go - as per MP3 hybrid - and therefore not relevant in Australia's "enlightended" shores).

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 10-21-2010 05:06 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Power-hybrids of personal transport are simply a means of the owner being able to publicly display their "I care about the environment" policy and go about with a clear conscience and a holier-than-thou attitude.

Then they go home to their air-conditioned house, have a ten-minute shower, flick on the wide-screen 3-D plasma TV and go to bed happy in the knowledge that they are doing their bit to conserve energy.

Bruce

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 10-21-2010 05:11 PM In reply to

ROFL I thought Steve@Ace was THE "cynical old b4st4rd" of the forum but I think he has a competitor for the title. Big Smile

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 10-21-2010 05:59 PM In reply to

I'll buy electric vehicle when it is competitve with petrol-powered one. That means both performance and cost. Performance is actually already adequate for commuting use where speeds never exceed 100km/hr and even the range could be sufficient for one day use. Unfortunately the other side of that equation - price - is still way out of whack. These machines are competing against scooters 125cc or so and they need to be priced accordingly. At the moment their makers still dream of charging premium prices... well sorry guys but you are not making premium products, you are making COMMUTERS. They need to be cheap, pretty much by definition.

• 10-21-2010 09:43 PM In reply to

• yachtie01
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • Victoria Point Qld
    • Posts 215

It's all petrol for me,there is nothing like the roaring engine,wind in your hair(well helmet anyway) and the knowing that you can stop at the next servo to fill up and keep going without plugging in and waiting 3 hours to do it all again just to get you home.

go hard,Go,G-max 

• 10-22-2010 01:56 AM In reply to

• gadget
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2008
    • Parmelia, Perth WA
    • Posts 209

The internal combustion engine has been around for a long time and has come a long way since it's inception. The main problem with it is it's inefficiency, the vast majority of the energy produced is lost through, friction and heat and only about 30% is harnessed for actual work output. Yet eventhough these engines are outdated they still represent the most cost effective power plant available to vehicle manufacturers.

I would personally like to see more research done on alternative non polluting fuels and high efficeincy engines rather than go electric.

What ever happened to Ralf Sarrich's rotary engine? Did It get bought up by an American conglomerate and moth-balled like so many other good ideas that challenged the "Status-Quo"?

If it was up to them we would all be running arround on "Segways" - Not me though!

Per Ardua ad Astra.
  • 10-22-2010 06:54 AM In reply to

gadget:

I would personally like to see more research done on alternative non polluting fuels and high efficeincy engines rather than go electric.

I like electric engines. They are small, efficient, silent, low maintenance and low failure rate. And they provide the same torque regardless of revs... objectively they are superior to combustion engine in every way.It's storing of electricity that lets them down. That's why I would like to see more research done on alternative means of storing electricity (capacitors) or generating it on the fly (hydrogen? fuel cell?)

If it was up to them we would all be running arround on "Segways" - Not me though!

Up to whom?!? For my short-range commutes I would love to be running around on a Segway - they are the coolest. Nothing wrong with the idea, It's just that the legislation makes them illegal to use on the road and on the footpath thus rendering the whole concept useless.

• 10-22-2010 07:20 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Scooternut:
    ROFL I thought Steve@Ace was THE "cynical old b4st4rd" of the forum but I think he has a competitor for the title
    That's one of the unavoidable things that happen as you age: you've seen and heard it all before and very little change has occurred, so cynicism sets in! Big Smile
    Think of it as one of the perks of seniority. Big Smile

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au