Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

2011 Lambretta LN

Last post 10-04-2011 10:17 PM by pyrah. 212 replies.
Page 3 of 15 (213 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-22-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

Re: 2011 Lambretta LN

Good points ! Big Smile .

At the end of the day it is a scooter called a Lambretta that has no link to Lambretta....bizarre !

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 11-22-2010 11:44 AM In reply to

• marc2131
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-20-2007
    • Inner West, Sydney
    • Posts 109

I am not denying there will be that 'middle aged' element who (as u say) love the Who and Ben Shirman Tshirts, I think it is a bit unfair to assume that a scooter is not real once it is not owned by the original company. If that is the case, you should argue not to fly QANTAS because it majority owned by British Airways, not eat Arnotts because its now Campbells (USA), dont drive Volvo because its Chinese owned, Lotus because its Malaysian owned, or Jaguar because it is Indian owned.

I accept if the build quality is less than desired but not its origins.

I am not saying you are wrong. However the issues is a little murkier than one would like to believe.

Scoot when my legs are too tired from cycling.
    2006 Aprilia Mojito 125cc.
  • 11-22-2010 11:55 AM In reply to

Biscuits? Volvos? You are spot on, Arnotts is Campbells, and Volvo is JingCheng and Lotus is TATA or something eh? WHATEVER, they are no longer real. Barney and I dont eat tim tams now, out of respect to Blundstone boots.
    People find it hard to take a clown seriously.
  • 11-22-2010 02:08 PM In reply to

Blinko:
    Biscuits? Volvos? You are spot on, Arnotts is Campbells, and Volvo is JingCheng and Lotus is TATA or something eh? WHATEVER, they are no longer real. Barney and I dont eat tim tams now, out of respect to Blundstone boots.

I think I'd prefer a chinese-made Piaggio to a generic scoot with a fresh dress and rented brand (no matter how pretty the dress is .. the LN is a cute scoot).  The great motorcycle rejuvenations - Triumph and MV Augusta - were at least whole-of-brand reincarnations and began in their home countries (even if new Triumphs are made in Thailand, much like Piaggo chinese production).  Lotus and Landrover are still made in the UK.  (Volvo has a history of Dutch, etc. manufacture).

If Lambretta wants cachet, they have to keep it Italian somehow.  Surely Vespa's success at premium pricing means there's a market for that?  The way they're doing this, if they even get to scale the Lambretta brand will have been bastardised already ... oh, yes, then there's Vespa's recovery from Indonesian / Vietnamese / where-else manufacture ...

... in the end, Vespa has all the cachet of the brand, plus modern attributes and is still made by the same folk in the same place.  It's a lay-down misere, no? 

The LN is still a cute scoot ...

Sydney / Vespa PX150 & GTS250ie / BMW R1200R
  • 11-22-2010 04:26 PM In reply to

Blinko, I think you've put it precisely.

I know the chap who has got the distribution rights in Australia (he's the man who brought us Pagsta), and have discussed these plans with him as some of my customers had passed an interest, and the original press blurb had made a lot of noise about Italian manufacturing etc.   Pricing is to be "not as expensive as Vespa" and retailing is "not to be done from an outlet that sells Vespa". 

So there you have it.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-22-2010 08:17 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

steve@ace:
    I know the chap who has got the distribution rights in Australia

This model is a different ball game. Lambretta in the USA have a number of models, cant remember the names but you can search it very easily. These are being sold already, just trading name stuff as you have noted. This model (as above) is new territory so I don't believe this model is in the same fish bowl, if you know what I mean......

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 11-22-2010 08:21 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Caroanbill:
    in the end, Vespa has all the cachet of the brand, plus modern attributes and is still made by the same folk in the same place.  It's a lay-down misere, no?

Yes, I think the Lambretta brand still carries some weight. But it will be a long long time before the modern Lambretta can conjure up the history of models past and present that one Vespa does. (If it can do it at all)

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 11-22-2010 08:53 PM In reply to

allen:

steve@ace:
    I know the chap who has got the distribution rights in Australia

This model is a different ball game. Lambretta in the USA have a number of models, cant remember the names but you can search it very easily. These are being sold already, just trading name stuff as you have noted. This model (as above) is new territory so I don't believe this model is in the same fish bowl, if you know what I mean......

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.  But I guess that wherever it comes from, it looks like we won't be selling it.

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 11-22-2010 09:01 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

Blinko:
    WHATEVER, they are no longer real.
    They are all as real today as they were 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago

It's just a name, after all.

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 11-22-2010 09:24 PM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

hcrun:

They are all as real today as they were 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago

It's just a name, after all.

If you honestly believe what you wrote there hcrun, then I think you've got no rite owning a Vespa (no offence read on...) Vespa isn't just a name, its a culture. Derived from many years in many countries being used for many different purposes. It's romantic, its functional, its (mostly) reliable and cheap to run, it's fun.... Lambretta as a culture could have been this too, but it died when the brand stopped production. Over the years, Lambretta enthusiasts continued to keep that culture treading water, but as years go on, and no new models made, it made the Lambretta name an echo in history. I think people are going to like the new Lambretta, but is it worthy of comparison to the culture that has been alive for so many years as Vespa has? I dont believe so. I believe Blinkers statement that it will sell to some try hards, that want to tell their mates they just bought a Lambretta. I'd like to ask some of the classic scooter riders, like Sharon Vespagirl and Siobhan Ellis what they think the new Lambretta will be like. Bring on thy Lambretta for us to devour!!! I'll take it for a spin, but if it were a real Lambretta, it would have the old school front suspension like the Vespa. So hcrun, take a think of why you have a Vespa GT200, not a Sportcity 200, or a SYM HD Evo? Ask yourself what makes your scooter the one you chose over similar classed scooters.
    DOZER.
  • 11-22-2010 10:40 PM In reply to

I'd have to see one in the flesh to make a proper judgement but the headset seems narrow? A name can only get you so far if its not backed by quality it will soon disappear. Look what happened to Julian Lennon & Ziggy Marley, had the name but the quality of the songs wasn't there & they vanished after a few years.

Gavin
  • 11-23-2010 06:55 AM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

dozer.:
    So hcrun, take a think of why you have a Vespa GT200, not a Sportcity 200, or a SYM HD Evo? Ask yourself what makes your scooter the one you chose over similar classed scooters.
    It's the name and the retro styling.

I couldn't give two hoots about whether it was still owned by the original manufacturers or that it had a steel chassis or that Ligurian olive oil ran in its hydraulics.....its what the image conjurs up in my mind because when I see or hear "scooter" I picture a 1960's Vespa or Lambretta. That's a result of my age - it's what I relate to.

As I said - just a name.

Bruce

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 11-23-2010 08:06 AM In reply to

dozer.:
    I'd like to ask some of the classic scooter riders, like Sharon Vespagirl and Siobhan Ellis what they think the new Lambretta will be like.

I still wonder what Lambretta/Innocenti would be producing these days, had they survived the 1970s. Probably something similar to what Piaggio makes in their non-Vespa range. Who knows? They may have developed one of their later, more individual designs and be making something completely different!

The LN reminds me a bit of the Vespa LXS in the way it visually harks back to an earlier model. But I doubt very much whether it could be accepted by the die-hard classic crowd, as the auto Vespas aren't generally accepted by them either.

I'd still have a go on one!

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 11-23-2010 09:22 AM In reply to

dozer.:
    I'd like to ask some of the classic scooter riders, like Sharon Vespagirl and Siobhan Ellis what they think the new Lambretta will be like.

The Lambretta Club of Australia accepts all derivatives of the Innocenti Lambretta.Such as, models made under licence and the Lambro 3 wheelers.

The machine we are discussing has nothing to do with Innocenti or the original stable.It merely bears the name.

Cheers Nick.Vice President ,Lambretta Club of Australia.

Ride em hard-don't hardly ride em
  • 11-23-2010 09:25 AM In reply to

• dozer.
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-26-2008
    • Albury, N.S.W
    • Posts 2,432

SharonVespaGirl:
    I'd still have a go on one!
    I think you're their marketing plan Sharon. I think we need to get hold of the importer, and say give Sharon one of these new Lambrettas, and get her thoughts on it. Lets say you like the thing, and write reviews of it, then coming from such a classic enthusiast, you may give it credibility. hcrun, not giving a hoot about the culture of the Vespa, and everything it entails.... well.... I'm deeply sad for you that you just don't get it. You may as well be riding an Arqin Sprint, or a Vmoto Milan mate. You've done your doe on your Vespa if you arent getting what other Vespa riders are getting from their Scooters (so much more than a scooter).
    DOZER.
Page 3 of 15 (213 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au