Scooter
Community

Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

Last post 02-17-2011 10:39 PM by captainpotato. 78 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-05-2010 09:41 PM

Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

I've been quiet about it for a while, but it's time for an update. My planned scooter epic is going to be happening in three weeks' time.

For those of you who missed the original idea, I am planning to set off from Adelaide, via the coast route, to Melbourne, celebrating New Year's Eve wherever I happen to be at the time, returning to Adelaide by about mid-January. The trip will be undertaken on a 50cc Hyosung Rally, taking in the sights as I slowly work my way through rural South Australia and along the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne, with the furtherst point of the trip being determined by time considerations, rather than distance. The return trip to Adelaide will likely be inland, perhaps following the course of the Murray once I reach it.

Not having really any idea what I am likely to see on the way means that the journey will be something of an adventure. I've never been along the Great Ocean Road, so most of the route will be new to me, and have never been north of Melbourne.

I've set up a blog in preparation for the trip. In the next three weeks I'll be posting about the lead-up to departure; after this, I hope to be updating it on a daily basis as I work my way from Adelaide to Melbourne and back to Adelaide. We'll see how this plan works out (and what Telstra 3G coverage is really like).

Anyway, the trip's happening :)

• 12-05-2010 10:56 PM In reply to

Re: Announcement: captainpotato's 50cc scooter odyssey.

All the best mate will look forward to reading about it Yes

• 12-06-2010 12:17 AM In reply to

• Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-16-2009
    • Posts 257

We might cross paths-- I'm riding a Honda Postie from Newcastle to Sydney... via Darwin and Adelaide :), and I should be doing the Adelaide-Mt Gambier-Victoria-Sydney stage sometime after the new year. Keep a lookout for a Postie bike with two large mortar/ammo containers as panniers. :)

• 12-06-2010 09:41 AM In reply to

That's a pretty serious ride as well. I'll be the scooter that you go racing by on the Great Ocean Road, I bet ;)

• 12-06-2010 12:21 PM In reply to

Bloody brilliant Potato man! I'll be reading you blog with grate  interest!

• 12-06-2010 09:53 PM In reply to

• hcrun
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2010
    • Canberra
    • Posts 431

captainpotato:
    Anyway, the trip's happening :)
    Well done, mon Capitan!
    I'll follow your adventures with much interest.

Good luck and bon voyage.

Bruce

Mid-life went past too quickly so I'm having a late-life crisis.
  • 12-06-2010 11:39 PM In reply to

The great ocean road is my backyard play ground one of the best roads to ride around when quiet.  When busy be very careful of tourist looking more at the ocean than the road!!!!!!!!! Driving on the left doesnt apply on the great ocean road.  Why a 50cc? i wouldnt want to be riding anything that couldnt do the posted speed limit.

Tin Toppers look but your the one living the dream

Fly 125 traded at 4900km Honda SH300i 4000km Sold 2009 Vespa GTS250ie (Ivy) 28000km traded 2014 Vespa GTS250ie let the adventures continue.
  • 12-07-2010 08:04 AM In reply to

Thanks for your comments, people.

digitalscoot, I'm taking a 50cc because I can. It makes me go slow, take in the sights, and appreciate the world around me more. This, plus the fact that it's a pretty cool thing to do. There isn't the same challenge on a bigger ride that could do the trip without blinking. It's also going to be my way to farewell a loyal ride before I move onto something bigger.

• 12-07-2010 11:45 AM In reply to

captainpotato:
    There isn't the same challenge on a bigger ride that could do the trip without blinking.

I reckon you'll be fielding the same question again and again, Cap'n, especially from those riding big bikes who just don't "get" why you'd want to do it. It's definitely a pretty cool thing to do! Cool

organiser Hobart Motor Scooter Club

Cool gear and Vespa seat covers at cosmicbreed.com

For info on the National Scooter Rallies open to all riders, go to National Scooter Rally

Remember, don't spend all your time posting on scooter forums - get out there and ride your scooter...
  • 12-07-2010 12:04 PM In reply to

SharonVespaGirl, I reckon you might be right on that point. Which is fine by me, as the ride isn't going to be all about me and what I see. It's also going to be about engaging with the people I meet on the way, so I'm actually looking forward to explaining why.

• 12-07-2010 02:09 PM In reply to

Just collected my scooter from the mechanic after a 12000km service. Not impressed. At all. Almost $700 of work. Nice of them to mention that the service would be $350 by itself beforehand...

On the positive side, it bloody well had better perform flawlessly. It does feel like a different scooter, to be fair, but $700? Ouch.

• 12-07-2010 06:23 PM In reply to

$700 Ouch Sad I Remember Ken Craven ( motorcyclist & pannier etc maker in the 60s ) saying that he would still go touring even if restricted to a moped . its the journey that counts not the arriving Yes

• 12-09-2010 10:38 PM In reply to

Agree completely, pyrah. I won't be going anywhere quickly...

To this end, I've actually started thinking about the route that I'm going to take, bearing in mind that I'll be on a 50cc air-cooled scooter in the middle of summer. Plus that I've never been along most of the route.

Post about it is here - would love to hear your feedback on it, peoples.

http://scooterodyssey.blogspot.com/2010/12/planning-route.html

• 12-10-2010 04:57 PM In reply to

Will you be taking a tent, food, supplies etc. and camping? Or staying in hostels/hotels?

Do you have a satellite phone in case you get in trouble and there's no mobile reception?

How do you plan to carry all your stuff? Do you have especially large saddlebags?

I have always dreamed of doing a similar thing, except horseback not scooter. I imagine the process will be similar - the scooter will need constant attention and being able to carry enough stuff will be a problem!

• 12-10-2010 10:02 PM In reply to

Quantumcat:

Will you be taking a tent, food, supplies etc. and camping? Or staying in hostels/hotels?

I have a tent and sleeping bag, so will be camping, but I'll be getting food as I go. The only supplies that I plan to carry will be enough water and some emergency food (dried fruit, mainly).

Do you have a satellite phone in case you get in trouble and there's no mobile reception?

Er, stand on the side of the road and wait for assistance? Seriously though, I'm not planning to go anywhere where I'd be stuck for hours without a single car going by.

How do you plan to carry all your stuff? Do you have especially large saddlebags?

Top box and under the seat, with a 5L jerrycan between my feet. Whilst riding, a couple of things (such as the tent) will be strapped on, but when I stop to do something, my small rucksack will come out from under the seat and will be taken with me, and the things strapped on will go under the seat. I'm not taking a lot with me, and I'll be doing washing pretty often.

I have always dreamed of doing a similar thing, except horseback not scooter. I imagine the process will be similar - the scooter will need constant attention and being able to carry enough stuff will be a problem!

Very similar, although I hope that the average horse needs far more attention than I hope my scooter will ;)

The trick's going to be to travel as lightly as possible. Having now looked at my planned route, I won't ever be too far from a town, and as I'm not planning on covering massive distances each day, then I'm hoping that I'll be able to find somewhere to eat without issue. My dietary habits will make it tougher (I'm basically vegan), that's part of the adventure. Providing I get through the first couple of days without food-related issues, I'll be fine after that, as not only will I be going through larger towns, but the public holidays will be over.

Page 1 of 6 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au