Scooter
Community

How best to sell your old scooter?

Last post 03-08-2011 10:59 PM by Moida. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-24-2010 03:36 PM

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

How best to sell your old scooter?

Need to sell my VS125 now that I've upgraded.  First time I've sold a scooter.  Any suggestions for where to attempt to sell it?  I'm in Melbourne, if that makes a difference.

Piaggio x7 300 Evo... love it.

(*Please assume the following to be written after any statement I make, "not that I'm an expert, mind you.")
  • 12-24-2010 03:45 PM In reply to

Re: How best to sell your old scooter?

You could try scootersales for starters

• 12-24-2010 03:57 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

Yes us and you also have Bikesales/point, Gumtree and places like Ebay

Advice

Put a realistic price on it first up, make it tempting. If you spend the next two months bringing your price down you are just wasting time. The used market has fallen, new scooter prices are low.

Watch for suspect purchasers via email. Talk to your buyer, work out they are a real person....

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-05-2011 04:57 PM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Thanks, chaps.  I've put it on gumtree and scootersales.  Thanks for your tips.

If anyone out there who knows more about these things wants to offer suggestions, I'm all ears! 

http://www.scootersales.com.au/ScooterClassifieds/UsedScootersforSale/tabid/53/mid/398/ctl/private/adid/10118/Default.aspx

(*Please assume the following to be written after any statement I make, "not that I'm an expert, mind you.")
  • 01-05-2011 06:56 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

Send ads to all free and cheap sites, Gumtree is pretty good.  If you haven't done it already put on many photos taken in good light, with a good background (of the well-polished scooter, of course). 

Copy in the technical details, and find reviews of the scoot - link those.  Idea is to give as much info as possible, and get people reading up on it.

Ignore all responses that want you to contact a free-service email address (gmail, hotmail, etc.).  These are scamsters using a version of the well-worn Nigerian trick.  (Bloke working on oil rig, wanting to buy scoot for son as surprise, will have to pay someone to pick it up, you will get fake PayPal note of money received conditional on you sending part of it by Western Union.  Sure.)

Good luck, as others said, the market has dropped a lot.

George

• 01-05-2011 09:19 PM In reply to

Cheap and negotiable. On scootersales or bikepoint. Lots of photos and a YouTube clip helped me sell a Daelim S1 last year. Search YouTube for Daelim S1. 

• 01-05-2011 10:59 PM In reply to

Just sold one of mine in 48 hrs on e bay. I had a bid and a buy now price, answered a few questions and it was sold

• 01-06-2011 09:09 AM In reply to

+1 for ebay here too (actually sold two through there). Although I put it as just "buy it now" with the option to "make an offer". Generates heaps of enquiries certainly more than bikesales ever did. Gumtree is not too bad but really only limited to your local area. I'm in Sydney and got a great price for my GT200 from a Melbourne buyer.

So long as you are realistic in terms of price and disregard anyone that works on an oil rig, navy vessel blah blah (they're just scammers) it'll be sold in no time.

• 01-06-2011 10:17 AM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

With used I am finding those that are realistic about the current "used scooter climate" will sell anything pretty quickly.

The thing is that you set the correct price 1st up and then you will sell pretty quickly. Set the price high and the sale will drag on.

Look at what local dealers are selling your scooter new for. National RRP doesnt actually mean RRP if you know what I mean....

Look at the type of scooter you have, is it popular for example. Maxi scooters for some reason tend to be difficult to sell 2nd hand. Cheap commuters are easy, vespa's are pretty easy as well.

The amount of KM's on the clock. High K's will equal a vast drop in resale for some strange reason.

And last of all scammers. Talk to your potential buyer on the phone. We are now filtering all Emails coming through my site as scammers were just out of control. Most people if interested will call after the first exchange of mail.

Saying that, seems to be a fair few used scooters starting to hit the market. Has been dry for a while.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-06-2011 11:45 AM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Great suggestions and tips, thanks y'all.  eBay might be the go too.

• 01-06-2011 12:02 PM In reply to

Don't forget the pics, every pic you put up increases your chance by 15 %. And make sure they are clear and not dark and smudged ones.

• 01-06-2011 01:38 PM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

Hmm...  I'd best get some better pictures done then!  Ta.

• 01-10-2011 10:24 AM In reply to

• petegailey
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-03-2008
    • Cleared off, up the Mid Nth Coast
    • Posts 7,090

Just a word on trading in. I bought a second hand bike from a big dealer for $7500. 18 months later I trade it in on another second hand bike. the guy said sorry mate but all I can offer you is $4000. Two weeks later its in Bikesales for $5,500. I figure the transaction of changing bikes was $3000. $1500 hit on the 1st bike and I estimate another $1500 hit on the second bike.

Daelim NS 125: Mighty 1st scoot from Korea that punched way above its weight. Sold
    Vespa GTS 250: Modern Retro brilliance. I'll ride it til it dies.Traded in on a maxi.
    Suzuki DR650: "That Thing" Excellent Single 650 thumper chook chaser that was too tall. Sold
    Yamaha T Max: Best Maxi out there and serious canyon racer. Sold
    Triumph Bonneville: Modern Retro brilliance with the sweetest parallel twin.
    BMW F800R: The Naked Hun. Great intro into sports bikes.
    Gilera Runner FXR 180: 2 stroke scooter missile from Piaggio.
    Gilera Nexus 500. Sexy like red Italian stilettos.
    Yamaha RZ250RR: Retro Japanese 2 stroke racer.
  • 01-10-2011 10:36 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

petegailey:

Just a word on trading in. I bought a second hand bike from a big dealer for $7500. 18 months later I trade it in on another second hand bike. the guy said sorry mate but all I can offer you is $4000. Two weeks later its in Bikesales for $5,500. I figure the transaction of changing bikes was $3000. $1500 hit on the 1st bike and I estimate another $1500 hit on the second bike.

Yes, well, big dealer, big overheads to cover, they are in a business, have to make a profit.  This is why private sales/purchases are typically more cost effective - but there is the hassle, lack of warranty, wait and uncertainty.  It is always a personal tradeoff.

George

• 01-11-2011 11:11 AM In reply to

• Moida
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-22-2010
    • Posts 88

csomole:
    It is always a personal tradeoff.

'Tis indeed.  The dealer here offered me ~$1200 for mine outright (no trade in).  I'm hoping to get just shy of $2K for it though.  Big difference.  I'm a lazy ***, so I prefer to throw money away than actually have to do any thing resembling work, but even for me, ~$750 is worth a little effort!

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au