Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Vespa

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Last post 01-03-2011 12:47 PM by tonyr. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-31-2010 11:07 AM

Fun, Fun, Fun!

How about somebody out coming up with a scooter that is A. Utterly reliable with a reasonable life span (like my Hyundai car) B. Minimal maintenance (like my Hyundai car) C. Cheap, cheap to run (don't talk to me about low fuel consumption) D. Easily accessable, low priced spare parts E. A bike that is simple, simple, simple (remember K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid!) F. Something that your girlfriend can sit on with some style, without her legs in the air, and a sore *** for company. G. Some imaginative designs that are fun as well as practical - how about something big and ugly like the Honda Big ruckus PS250 or a naked Ducatti versiuon or something that stretches the imagination. It seems to me that nearly all of the forum comments are about problems, problems and more problems (this includes me), and that none of us is getting a good bang for our buck. There are those who want to build boats and fix them, and there are those who just want to sail them. I just want to ride and ride and ride a scooter that goes and goes and goes, and to enjoy the 'freedom' sensation. But, it seems as though the main emphasis has come to be on spending, fixing, more spending, more fixing and hoping that someone will come out with a truly simple,reliable, and inexpensive (compared to small cars) two wheel freedom machine. Maybe it is "gunna" come along sometime soon. Maybe I'll strap a motor on to a tandam bicycle while I'm waiting.   Help! 

• 12-31-2010 11:28 AM In reply to

Re: Fun, Fun, Fun!

Enclosed chain drive for long life & a gear box maybe you need something like the SYM Symba at $2999

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-31-2010 03:29 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Enclosed chain drive for long life & a gear box maybe you need something like the SYM Symba at $2999

Where is the girlfriend going to sit, Pyrah?!

Mack Truck
  • 12-31-2010 03:38 PM In reply to

ColdCola:

Where is the girlfriend going to sit, Pyrah?!

You strap a milk crate to the rack. Girlfriend sits in the crate... very stylish! :)

Alternatively you can get the back seat as an accessory... actually I think the back seat is standard with Symba, it's the rack shown in the picture that is the accessory. I also read in one review from the US (where they've been getting Symba for a while) complaining about the standard split seat and how the metal grab handle between the seats makes life very uncomfortable for the rider in front. The solution was to install a full length seat, which is also available as an accessory.

• 12-31-2010 03:45 PM In reply to

Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 12-31-2010 04:12 PM In reply to

• Dakoda
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-27-2007
    • Brisbane Bayside
    • Posts 6,372

Get her one too :)  Double the fun.

2008-Venice White Aprilia Scarabeo 200 "Marty"
    48,000kms and wriiten off. RIP 2008-2012
    2012 - 2009 Red Aprilia Scarabeo 200
    Named Bomber. 8,000kms in 5months
  • 12-31-2010 04:30 PM In reply to

pyrah:

Big Smile

I must admit I think the bike doesn't look quite as good with that bench seat. But there wouldn't be much fun in having a metal bar wedged against your tailbone! And I saw this bike in the shop - it is very, very tiny and I'd say most of us will need to sit well back in order to be comfortable so this metal bar will be an issue for all but the shortest of riders... Comfort or style? Tough choice!

• 12-31-2010 09:21 PM In reply to

But are they reliable? Maybe something akin to a ride on mower with two of the wheels chopped off. Thanks for the suggestion about the Symba but my Aprillia 200i struggles to carry two in the warm weather as it is so I require a little more oomph! Actually - that gives me an idea - maybe I should sit in the rear position, and let her drive! It may not give the scooter more performance and reliability but it may help mine!

Tonyr

• 01-01-2011 07:22 AM In reply to

big maxi scooters are the way to go! plenty of space for 2 and plenty of power..........the yamaha majesty has the biggest and comfiest seat iv seen so far. or go the tmax for more power?  iv gone 2 up on my Gilera nexus 500 and its got no problems powering along at 110klm with plenty of throttle to go faster. barely no mechanical problems at all - only a fuel pump replaced under warranty after 20,000ks but other that its been a dream.....just do the 10,000klm services and she's allright Wink

• 01-01-2011 09:10 AM In reply to

Actually if you are really serious about reliability and ability to cary two then your best bet would probably be a motorcycle. For example something like Suzuki GS500 - simple yet effective, in production for a very long time so well and truly 'debugged' by now, Choice of couriers everywhere - that's the best endorsement of their reliability. Performance and fuel consumption on par, or slightly above a good 500cc scooter like the Scarabeo (we had that comparison a while back if you care to search for it)... and on top of this all it is cheaper than most 500cc scooters.

Edit: Actually at 7,500 ride-away, make that 'cheaper than just about any scooter above 300cc'!

• 01-01-2011 09:50 AM In reply to

• yachtie01
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • Victoria Point Qld
    • Posts 215

Why do scooters have to be so much more expensive than bike anyway,and why can't they fit a bike motor into a scooter as the bike engine seems to be so much more robust than the scooter engine,why why why ???? 

• 01-01-2011 12:16 PM In reply to

I take you point about buying a maxi-scooter - the problem is that I have owned three in the last 8years and 5 other smaller bikes and they all have the same problem - Nigly issues that, if I could not fix most of them myself would have cost a fortune in the dealer's hands. I admit that I have not considered a Gilera Nexus so I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 01-01-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

So the front basket is not an option for a passenger?

Not even if you inserted a small pillow there?

Wink

Mack Truck
  • 01-01-2011 12:37 PM In reply to

Thanks ferrix - the Suzuki GS500 is a good bike but the high centre of gravity of most m/cycles make life difficult for an old fella like me. I did break into my cycle of scooter purcases with a Kawasaki 500 twin but it was too everything - too dirty, too smelly etc and was more of an athletic exercise than sedate pleasure. Which brings us to the benefits of a scooter - clean, low centre of gravity(manoeuvrability), no spokes to clean, no chains to oil, no major fumes issues, walk-through etc. It's more a case of paying too much for too little. 55yrs ago my Lambretta used to go and go  on very little - a great bang for your buck. I am I consigned to the fate of other old farts by lamenting the past with little hope for cleverness today ?

• 01-01-2011 01:16 PM In reply to

tonyr:

Thanks ferrix - the Suzuki GS500 is a good bike but the high centre of gravity of most m/cycles make life difficult for an old fella like me. I did break into my cycle of scooter purcases with a Kawasaki 500 twin but it was too everything - too dirty, too smelly etc and was more of an athletic exercise than sedate pleasure. Which brings us to the benefits of a scooter - clean, low centre of gravity(manoeuvrability), no spokes to clean, no chains to oil, no major fumes issues, walk-through etc. It's more a case of paying too much for too little. 55yrs ago my Lambretta used to go and go  on very little - a great bang for your buck. I am I consigned to the fate of other old farts by lamenting the past with little hope for cleverness today ?

Tony,

Have you considered the SYM HD200 scooter? I used to own one. They are cheap-ish, quite nimble & fairly stable, reasonably fuel efficient & reliable. It won't go super-fast & won't win any prizes in a Miss Universe contest, but it is a good functional commuter.

Mack Truck
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au