Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
Aprilia

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Last post 01-03-2011 12:47 PM by tonyr. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2011 01:28 PM In reply to

Re: Fun, Fun, Fun!

What about a mid-size cruiser such as Honda Shadow? It's low, has a shaft drive, no more fumes than any 4-stroke engine and should have that Honda reliability... Otherwise you might have to wait for the electric scooters to become more common. They should address most of your issues as they will be very clean and with a minimum of moving parts should be very reliable!

• 01-01-2011 03:31 PM In reply to

ferrix:

What about a mid-size cruiser such as Honda Shadow? It's low, has a shaft drive, no more fumes than any 4-stroke engine and should have that Honda reliability... Otherwise you might have to wait for the electric scooters to become more common. They should address most of your issues as they will be very clean and with a minimum of moving parts should be very reliable!

A good suggestion from Ferrix -- as unusual as that seems! Bit worrying how I am agreeing with him about a few things lately.

There is a new Honda 750 Shadow model, which I read a review of a while ago, that looks quite nice (if you like cruisers). It costs about $10 K rideaway.

Mack Truck
  • 01-01-2011 09:37 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion about the Sym HD200 but it was taken out of the running when I bought the Aprilia 200ie in 2010. I have thought about returning to a Firenze 300ie as I owned the 250cc version when they first came out. There were quite a few small problems with it at the time but I must admit the dealer's attitude was very good (Show&Go). The small interval between services were overcome, and best of all the partner loved the comfort of the rear seat. Clocked up 18K in no time at all. My reasoning is that maybe all the niggles have been sorted out by now and the slightly better power (not really sure about that) would entice me back. I moved on to a Kymco 500r for 15k (which was ok but for the wide seating which couldn't be altered) and being a bit of a lump when manhandled (also had niggles0. Most of my k's are done in the Adelaide hills and beyond, and the Aprillia goes well until the hot weather (clutch etc). The experience with various scooters has been good, and I want to go on, but it seems that scooters can't hack the pace. What do you think?

• 01-01-2011 09:40 PM In reply to

I appreciate the suggestion 'Cold Cola' but take a look at that back seat! How about a hundred k's sitting on that!  Cheers.

• 01-01-2011 09:51 PM In reply to

PS Cold Cola - But how about those lovely grubby retro spoke wheels that go rusty?, the nice oily chain?, the exciting colour range of black, black, and more black? - and especially the bang up-to-date wizzo 2011 drum brake at the rear ? etc

If I want retro I just look in the mirror - and it doesn't cost me a thing!

Thanks anyway

• 01-01-2011 10:07 PM In reply to

• 01-01-2011 11:24 PM In reply to

• 01-02-2011 12:55 AM In reply to

tonyr:

PS Cold Cola - But how about those lovely grubby retro spoke wheels that go rusty?, the nice oily chain?, the exciting colour range of black, black, and more black? - and especially the bang up-to-date wizzo 2011 drum brake at the rear ? etc

If I want retro I just look in the mirror - and it doesn't cost me a thing!

Thanks anyway

Sorry there, Tony. I guess that Honda cruiser won't win your heart then. It does also come in white but it seems colour is the least of your concerns. All the best to you as you search for the best two-wheeler for your needs. Smile

Mack Truck
  • 01-02-2011 05:02 PM In reply to

• allen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-19-2007
    • Sydney NSW Australia
    • Posts 6,248

ferrix:

Actually if you are really serious about reliability and ability to cary two then your best bet would probably be a motorcycle. For example something like Suzuki GS500 - simple yet effective, in production for a very long time so well and truly 'debugged' by now, Choice of couriers everywhere - that's the best endorsement of their reliability. Performance and fuel consumption on par, or slightly above a good 500cc scooter like the Scarabeo (we had that comparison a while back if you care to search for it)... and on top of this all it is cheaper than most 500cc scooters.

Edit: Actually at 7,500 ride-away, make that 'cheaper than just about any scooter above 300cc'!

I am not entirely sure I agree with this one Ferrix. If you buy a mid range bike then all you get is a bike, gears, fairing.....but still just your average bike with fairly average performance. A 300 cc class scooter would kill it for all round performance and you cant even compare the user friendliness of a 300 class scooter over something like a GS.

Now when I say performance I am talking about the type of riding you do everyday of the week. Performance all the way to 120 - 30 Km/h and off the mark performance that will easily do most people. Then you have ease of parking, moving it around and ease of storage. All of which a bike like the GS would be hard pressed even getting close.Then rego costs, insurance, weather protection, passenger comfort.

And service wise I don't care what people say scooter V motorcycle, the scooter is far less expensive in owning over time. Especially if K's are normal and not excessive. If your Km usage is high then service wise costs can increase and resale will be affected.

So if we keep using the comparison of say a Firenze 300 with a bike like a GS, the far better option for me would be the Firenze. Actually a mid capacity bike is an option but in my book it would be going backwards...... Try the Firenze on for size, its a good scooter. Actually look at a few of the 300 capacity scooters now available from Downtown to X7, you will be impressed and they do fill a gap.

Good to have differing opinions on this, but with a scooter like say a Firenze you are getting super convenient and capable commuting. This is why you pay more, the advantages are seriously in favour of a scooter.

Advertise your scooter for FREE on Scootersales.com.au
    www.scootersales.com.au
    www.quadsales.com.au
  • 01-02-2011 08:23 PM In reply to

Thanks for your comment about the Firenze Allen. Actually I have decided to pursue the Piaggio X7 evo 300 ie this coming week. Why? because it seems to be the route that is the best compromise between longivity, ease of use, and price (the original idea put forward). Scooters such as the Firenze and the X7 300 can possibly solve some of the queeries in that they have been modified for the sake of improvement and as such, are hopefully going to answer at least some of the arguments put forward. Whether we can ever expect real inovation is possibly just a dream, and the reality is that we have to try and do the best we can with what is offered to us by the scooter industry. By the way - a demo ride on an X7 300 may not even happen for me as the initial test hangs on whether the pillion seat meets with the approval of my partner's bum! Only then can we proceed with the investigation - Cheers

• 01-02-2011 08:45 PM In reply to

You can always get a seat re-trimmed to your liking

• 01-03-2011 12:47 PM In reply to

Thanks Pyrah - I have had the Aprilia 200ie seat modified at the front, but it is not always as easy an option as it seems. Too great a change can drastically vary the seat height. The Kymco 500 had to go because of too-wide front section. The seat could not be altered because of the plastic mould beneath. The Kymco 300 has the same problem (so that's out - and it is already 1180 mm high). Also, modifications have to be in the form of a complete change(costly) so that the original seat can be put back when selling. The major problem for males is that too wide a front to the seat causes spreading of the crutch, and as I have a groin / hip problem it is all too painful an experience. One could buy a scooter using only the seating as the top criteria, but that leaves us with very little choice given other considerations. Thanks for the thought. Tonyr

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au