Scooter
Community

Fiddling with a Derbi GP1

Last post 11-05-2013 08:54 PM by gaz. 50 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2011 11:36 AM In reply to

• Kem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2011
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 2

Re: Windscreen

Thanks for the info George...much appreciated Big Smile

Cheers
    Kem

2010 DERBI GP1
    Mellosi Variator and GPR pipe added.
    2008 Yamaha R6
    2009 Triumph Bonneville
  • 06-06-2013 08:54 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

Electrical gremlins

And the GP1 is still going strong, with 12,000 on the clock.

A long-standing issue to fix was a problem with battery charging and cutting out.  It took a long while to fix, partly because it had not one cause but two. 

One issue turned out to be entirely my making.  I did not sufficiently tighten one battery connection (the bolt was a bit tight halfway down), and this was enough to occasionally cut out at low speeds with idling engine when ignition relied on battery power.

The lack of battery charging was traced back to the voltage regulator.  Replacement (from Italy for best price) fixed it and it is fine since.

• 06-06-2013 09:35 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

The dreaded leaking fuel tank

A warning to all: the fuel tank may start to leak years into service.  In my case it started at the end of 2012, over three years after the 2009 build.  Initially I thought that I splashed some petrol when refueling, but the smell was just hanging around longer and longer afterwards.  It never got to the stage of dripping under the bike, but the garage stank.

So, I pulled the bike apart again and tried to figure out the source.  The forward edge of the upright part of the tank has a sharp edge and it looked like it may have a separating seam. The wet spot underneath it seems to creep up to the rough weld: surely this is the problem spot.

So, I got some special Loctite epoxy for plastic.  Cleaned up the area, slightly sanded it, ladled the epoxy on and reinforced with a glass-fibre mat too.  Bike back together, after next fill-up it stank like before.  Bugger.

Bike apart once again, and the new suspect is the mounting of the fuel-gauge sender.

I could not tighten it, so I needed to create a seal between the white and grey bits that (a) holds petrol but (b) can be broken easily if the sender needs repairs.  On advice from Loctite I got the  No.3 Aviation Gasket Sealant.  Smeared it on generously and waited for it to dry.  It did not, remained the colour and consistency of thick honey.  Bike was needed, so I put it back together and put it just a few litres of petrol so that it would not reach the level of the repair.  After a week the goo still stuck to my finger.  A couple of weeks later I checked it again and it did not wet my fingers. 

(No photo of the repair, just imagine gunk around the edge of the white mount with the wires.)

And this fixed the issue, finally!

• 06-07-2013 09:27 AM In reply to

Re: The dreaded leaking fuel tank

there was a issue with fuel tanks leaking. i think there was an importer issued fix/ replacement.

argentum melle
  • 06-07-2013 05:18 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

Re: The dreaded leaking fuel tank

silverflyer:

there was a issue with fuel tanks leaking. i think there was an importer issued fix/ replacement.

This is well documented in the archives. 

The point is, though, that there is no more importer and the likelihood of free replacement is fast diminishing. 

Neither is there a guarantee about the life of the fix: I have no idea if mine was fixed (bought it third-hand), but did not leak for 3.5 years.  So, beware and be prepared, but it is fixable.

• 07-06-2013 05:19 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

the bloody plastic bits

Plastic body panels are the worst part of the GP1.  The painted resin ones are OK, but the unpainted bumpy-surfaced plastic bits are horrible: an ugly grey-brown colour to start with, and they age very badly.  They can be marked even with a fingernail and erode easily.

So, when I had to take them off to get to the leaking fuel tank, I reconditioned them.  One option I read was to wipe them with an equal mix of linseed oil and automotive paint thinner - could not find small quantities of the latter and I did not expect it to lift the surface sufficiently.  The fallback: respray.  The matte Titanium colour from Supercheap Auto is a better match with the grey body panels.  Surface preparation is just degreasing with metho and some masking. 

The result is superb.

Any future marks can be easily fixed by a quick mask-around in situ and spot spray.

Now, if only I could find a spraycan of paint for the side panels ...

• 07-08-2013 08:15 PM In reply to

Re: the bloody plastic bits

csomole:

The result is superb.

Any future marks can be easily fixed by a quick mask-around in situ and spot spray.

Now, if only I could find a spraycan of paint for the side panels ...

Panels turned out fantastic! Great colour choice..Yes

Yuminashi Pcx 164cc can of whopass!
    Ex Takegawa Pcx 170cc
    Ex Today 94cc Kitaco
  • 07-11-2013 08:26 PM In reply to

I Armourall mine every wash and they look good as new still...

Love the GP1!!!

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.
    Its name...The Flamenco Dancer by SOLD

Now on a brilliant Yellow Suzuki SV650 NUDIST crumbs it don't half shift!

Oh

And remember boys and girls,

Stock is BEST!
  • 07-12-2013 04:38 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

lead runner:
    I Armourall mine every wash and they look good as new still...

You actually wash it?  I never have time, too many things to fix on it ...

• 11-03-2013 05:07 PM In reply to

csomole:
    I never have time, too many things to fix on it ...

Yes i know what you mean mate! Mine at almost 30000ks and I've been engine swaping..... like wife swapping only dirtier Surprise

Love those mirrors are they still a good thing?

Derbi GP1 250i a properly fun scooter. Now totally renewed, rebuilt, run in, run Hard and now sold.

Oh

Stock is BEST!
  • 11-03-2013 05:39 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

lead runner:
    Love those mirrors are they still a good thing?

Yes, the mirrors are still good.  Being plastic, though, they don't support the bike well when becoming horizontal with some force ...

Engine swapping at 30,000 km?  I hoped they would last longer than that.  So, now you have the 278cc engine in?

• 11-03-2013 06:42 PM In reply to

csomole:
    they don't support the bike well when becoming horizontal with some force ...

Hold the Phone! you've dropped the Derbi?! What Where When How and are you ok?

csomole:
    So, now you have the 278cc engine in?

Oh I WISH!!! no I've now just thus arvo swapped back to original motor as the other one from a wreaked gp1 I have has some bigger issues. 

Oh

Stock is BEST!
  • 11-03-2013 08:29 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

lead runner:
    swapped back to original motor as the other one from a wreaked gp1 I have has some bigger issues

So, you have started gathering spare parts: wise, given the GP1 seems to have been discontinued.
    It's not even on the Spanish Derbi website any more, a 300i Rambla is the only largish scoot there.

Just as well that most of the mechanical bits are from the standard Piaggio corporate parts bin, still current and available everywhere.
    For the bloody plastic bits, it's fibreglass mats and two-pack resin.  My front fender has been fixed twice now.

So, the fiddling continues.  There is nothing else like it on the market in cheap and fun transport, and I will keep patching mine until it's too bent.

• 11-03-2013 08:35 PM In reply to

Mate i have an entire Alloy chasis if you need it!

BTW have seen the all new http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/20226.aspx Official Derbi GP1 thead?

I've posted a link to this one on account of your extensive photographic exelence YesCool

Oh

Stock is BEST!
  • 11-03-2013 09:37 PM In reply to

• csomole
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-25-2008
    • Brisbane
    • Posts 65

lead runner:
    I've posted a link to this one on account of your extensive photographic exelence

Thanks for the credit, by the sound of it you should be able to add a fair bit, just keep a camera handy while working on yours.

Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au