Scooter
Community

in
ADVERTISEMENT
ScooterAccessories

Scooter pants!!

Last post 07-12-2011 12:06 PM by Dasher. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-07-2011 02:21 PM

Scooter pants!!

Recently I bought myself a pair of scooter pants that will mean i get to wear them year round... to my knowledge they are the only pants that have this ability...

Firstgear HT AIR overpants...

These pants are mesh air flow pants that are designed to be worn over the top of shorts/jeans/underwear... they also come with a removable inner liner that is wind and waterproof.  So ideally these pants can be worn over the top of shorts in summer and over jeans in winter.

I bought them off www.newenough.com so i obviously didn't get to try them on before buying which is a risk cause I am tall, and skinny, like crazy tall - crazy skinny.  I wear jeans that are 28-30inch waist and 36 inch length... yeah... like i said, tall and skinny!

Fit: Anyways so I bought them without trying them on which was less scary because i knew that they came with some good stuff for adjusting the waist size, velcro etc on the waist band.  When the pants arrived i was pretty excited to find out that they did indeed fit!

Getting them on: The pants are overpants and are designed to actually be really quick and easy to get on and off, on the outside of each leg there is a double zipper, it can be zipped from the bottom and the top, with each mechanism meeting in the middle, or wherever you decide, so getting them over shoes etc is really easy and you don't have to sit down to take them on or off and don't need to hop around while trying to get them on or off...makes it really quick getting them on or off... EXCELLENT!

Protection: I guess the material is going to protect me!!  The material seems like it will be great, and has good reviews, so I guess it will work, never know till you come off i guess!!  It also has removable hip and knee pads which are reassuring, once again no idea if they will work though!! 

Comfort:  I got to wear them yesterday for the first time and the ventilation is excellent, it is akin to the ventilation on the best mesh scooter jackets... not as good as having nothing on, but much preferable to either winter gear or coming off the scooter wearing a pair of shorts...

Overall I freakin love these pants, will have to give them a 9.5/10

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 01-07-2011 05:03 PM In reply to

Re: Scooter pants!!

Good review now if the trousers measurements were reversed i could borrow them Big Smile

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 01-07-2011 05:13 PM In reply to

That's awesome - did you get the closeout ones, the HT AIR 2.0? page here

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ht_air_2_mesh_motorcycle_overpants.html

They look like a great deal. Thanks for the review!

• 01-07-2011 05:42 PM In reply to

yeah they are the ones solopaulo!  They are awesome, just went for another ride in them today... so so so fantastic to ride in!

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 01-08-2011 05:33 PM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

would you say the waist fit is tight or loose???

draggins are a loose fit and Neds are a tight fit for me..

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 01-17-2011 11:38 PM In reply to

Linz:

would you say the waist fit is tight or loose???

draggins are a loose fit and Neds are a tight fit for me..

the waist fit is a bit tight, but it is able to be tightened and loosened with velcro tabs so it is all good...  

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 01-18-2011 08:03 AM In reply to

• Linz
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Macarthur, NSW
    • Posts 914

Ta..

Don't look at WHO started it up, look at WHAT has been started up.....
  • 04-15-2011 03:41 PM In reply to

• zozo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2011
    • Posts 1

Hi Bunnybash

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I'm new here (this is my first post but I've been having a look around here on and off for the last few months) and fairly new to scooter riding (got my Ls and scooter last year; and my Ps about a month ago). I bought a helmet, jacket and gloves at around the same time as I bought the scooter, so was lacking protective gear for my legs (I was wearing jeans and my trusty old Dr Martens boots as protective gear for my legs).

On the basis of your recommendation above, I bought a pair of overpants through www.motorcyclegear.com (the new name for newenough.com), even though I've never been game enough to buy clothes online before.  My overpants arrived sooner than I expected (considering they were posted from USA), and I've been wearing them whenever I ride ever since I received them - without the inner lining so far - over shorts or jeans, depending on the weather.   I can't believe how comfortable they are and how easy they are to take on and off.

Thanks again!

Zozo

• 05-05-2011 12:27 AM In reply to

Just wanted to add that I too just bought these riding pants based on the above recommendations! they are definitely very comfy, either with or without pants underneath! ooh... was that TMI?

they remind me of wearing salopettes in scotland in the snow.. i can imagine they'd be a bit warm in the height of summer but just now i reckon they will be great. looking forward to trying them out for the first time tomorrow morning! wish i had a longer commute to work!

• 05-07-2011 04:28 PM In reply to

glad to hear that it's others who love these pants besides my wife and i, she loves her ones too...

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 05-30-2011 02:26 PM In reply to

Hey Bunny,

How's the pants going with the colder weather? I'm in the market for soemthing really warm, and these sound good.

Ta! Liz

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

2011 - Pearly White Kymco Like 125cc
    2012 - Giallo Lime (yellow) Vespa GTS 250ie
    2016 - Shine Red, Aprilia Scarabeo 200ie
  • 05-30-2011 09:01 PM In reply to

Lizzie I suspect your only option would be some proper armoured riding pants, such as the winter lined Dririders

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 05-30-2011 09:09 PM In reply to

Lizzie!

Well I can tell you the pants have been terrific!!  I am shocked at how easily they transform into wet/cold pants!!  

Water is kept out REALLY well, and the liner is warm enough especially over the top of jeans or something... I am really really glad I bought these pants, I can't believe they are working so well as both summer and winter pants!!

On the really cold morning the other day I had my thermal jeans on under the pants and it was amazingly toasty and dry!  

If you only want 1 pair of pants that will serve you for any kind of weather, these pants are about as close as you are going to get!!!

Piaggio 250 BV type R

Aprilia Scarabeo 250ie
  • 07-11-2011 02:47 PM In reply to

• Dasher
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-06-2011
    • ACT
    • Posts 8

Hi there - you seem really pleased with those pants! I am about to buy myself a scooter and as I need to wear suit/tie at work, was hoping you could tell me if they'd suit my situation.

I assume in winter you keep on the inner, waterproof liner at all times, and in summer remove it?

I am a tall bloke as well, jeans waist 34 with 36 inch legs - the website suggests they don't come that long for my waist size, but since you're skinnier  (no offence) with same lenght legs, what size did you go for and how is the fit?

Newbie - getting my learner license in a few days!
  • 07-12-2011 01:36 AM In reply to

I'll give you my experience so far, as I bought a pair as well.

I am very average by all accounts at 178cm and 70kg with a very medium frame. I buy my jeans and work trousers 32" at the waist and they fit just right.

I wear two sets of protective leg gear, which I vary depending on the weather and my mood - a pair of Kevlar jeans with CE armour at the hips and knees made by Hood Jeans in the UK, and a pair of these Firstgear overpants.

Typically in summer and mild weather I will wear the hood jeans, taking my work trousers with me in a bag and getting changed when I get there.

However, I've found in winter that I prefer to wear my work trousers with the Firstgear pants over the top - but without the liner; i find with my work trousers and the FG pants, my legs are more than warm enough. The FG pants are just so comfortable, and also so easy to get on and get off that it makes them actually a lot less hassle than the kevlar jeans - when it's cool enough to wear them (i.e. less than 30C).

The only downside with the pants is that the armour is not substantial in anyway. Ideally I'd look to upgrade it. I'd agree they are a little neat at the waist, but that is more when I do them up - once they are on they don't feel overtight at all.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au