Scooter
Community

My new Aprilia Scarabeo 200

Last post 01-25-2012 04:26 PM by Paul. 51 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-01-2011 12:43 AM

My new Aprilia Scarabeo 200

Hi everyone, this is going to be a bit long winded, so bear with me!

Like many people, my wife and I got bitten by the scooter bug when holidaying (well, marrying actually!) in Thailand. We rented what was probably a 125 or 150cc bike for a couple of days and had so much fun on it. I'd love to know what kind of bike it was... could take 2 helmets under the seat!! And had no problem making it up very steep hills with 2 passengers totalling 150kg... was impressed.

Anyway on returning to Perth, we decided to do it the proper way and get licensed. In November 2010 I began my lessons for an R-E licence. I must have taken about 8 hours of lessons - enough to make me feel knowledgeable and comfortable with what my responsibilities towards my own and others safety on the road as a motorcycle/scooter rider. Of course the real training begins when they let you loose on your own!

To cut a long story short I passed my test and got my R-EA licence on January 20th - a very happy occasion!

Like most people buying their first scooter, I have laboriously researched what seems like thousands of different bikes. Initially I began looking at the Daelim S1 125 - it seemed like a brilliant all rounder, but after reading more and more, I began to feel like if I were spending that kind of money, I should go for something with a bigger (and better cooled) engine. I considered so many bikes, but in the end I kept coming back to the Aprilia Scarabeo 200 - despite many warnings about the part servicing cost and availability. I guess it remains to be seen whether this will be as bad as everyone warned.

There is so much I could say about this bike - I LOVE it. Everyone who sees it says WOW - it is very classy looking and many people think it is more like a motorbike than a scooter. My model came with a free Aprilia top box which is great, because I can fit my AGV K3 helmet in no probs!! the underseat storage is pretty good but struggles to fit my wife's half helmet with a full visor... whatever those types of helmets are called.

The performance of this bike really (happily) surprised me. I am not sure what I was expecting - having ridden an Aprilia SportCity 250 recently, I was all ready to feel some anti-climax, but there was none! This thing really shifts. It is true what people say that the 0-15km/h or first couple of seconds is a bit draggy - especially with a pillion passenger - but after that it just takes off! It is wonderful to be able to filter with confidence.

A couple of points about the Scarabeo - not negatives per se but points to note. Having been practising on 50cc bikes, and doing my lessons on a PGO Arriba 150, I was accustomed to being able to put one foot flat on the floor quite comfortably. The seat on the Scarabeo is noticeably higher, and at 178cm, I struggle to get my left foot flat on the floor, without moving forward or slightly to the side on the seat. I thought this was going to be a problem when pillion riding, but it turns out that having the pillion rider on the back brings the seat height down (lower suspension?) and it is no more difficult. Phew!

The other point is the colours choices - the Scarabeo 200 comes in Coffee Black or Silver - it seemed the white and red options were only available on the 300 and 500cc models. My first choice would have been white, for visibility, but also because it looks awesome in white, in my opinion. Next choice would have been red, but alas it wasn't available. In the end I preferred the black to the silver. I figured I'd make up my own visibility improvements with clothing additions. It has to be said though, the black looks truly awesome!

One of the most rewarding things about this bike is how comfortably it does pillion riding. My wife has a 50cc Derbi Boulevard, and whilst its bigger body probably handles pillion riding better than many 50cc bikes out there, there's something much more refined and stable about the Scarabeo 200. Of course you would expect that on a bigger and more powerful bike. There's a lot to be said for the Scarabeo seat though - my wife loves riding it, and has been nagging me to take her out on it!

One concern I have I guess is the tyres - the Cheng Shin ones that come by default. I want to upgrade to Pirelli ST 66 front and back as I have read what people here have written about them. I just wonder when? Should I just do it now? Or wait till the Cheng Shins are end of life? I am not sure if I am that brave. My head says buy and fit the Pirellis now.

Ok so before I show a couple of pictures and link to my youtube video of the purring of the engine, I just wanted to say a few thankyous for all the help along the way!!!

1. All of you in the forums!!! I have read, researched and learned so much just from all of your input of the past few years - it has been invaluable in terms of scooter knowledge, road sense, experience, dealer choice, etc. etc. - thank you all for sharing! I am honoured to be joining the Scooterati (ok i'll get my coat) and seeing how much fun all of you are having just affirmed to me I was doing the right thing!!

2. Steve @ Ace Scooters - A few weeks after returning from Thailand with the scooter bug, we went to see Steve and he imparted a lot of great advice and experience - he left us totally pumped up and determined to get involved in scootering!! When my wife bought her first 50cc scooter, he was super helpful despite having a busy Saturday morning, letting us ride the bikes we were interested in, and taking the time to help make the right choice. I would send anyone I know interested in scooters to Ace Scooters without hesitation every time.

3. My instructors at Alert Motorcycle Training in Bayswater / Perth, WA. They were so clear about everything, and at all times, safety - and surviving on the road - was impressed upon me. They definitely taught me the skills to do my best at accident avoidance, and I'm trying my best to live up to the high standard they set. I chose them because a couple of people had said they were good - but also because they provided a scooter for your training, which at the time I did not have. On top of it all they also had good banter and genuinely enjoyed scooters too! Thanks guys.

4. Frank at the Scooter Shop in Fremantle, WA. I went to see Frank because I had pretty much made up my mind about the Scarabeo, and he was one of the main remaining Aprilia dealers closest to where I live. Unfortunately, he did not have any Scarabeos in the shop - however, he kindly agreed to order one in - without me having the obligation to buy it, if I wasn't convinced after test riding it. Luckily the test ride was awesome and left me with nothing but goose bumps. He did me a good deal on the price and I would also recommend him to anyone I knew interested in buying or getting into scooters.

5. Helmet House in East Victoria Park, WA. A colleague of mine had bought his helmet and jacket from Helmet House and said that it was worth checking out. The selection wasn't huge but they had at least one of the jackets I was interested in buying before going. I came out with a Dririder Air-Ride 2, which has been awesome so far. Very good at getting in the much needed breezes. I read that one of the most important things about getting the right helmet was getting the one that fits the best. So I must have tried on about 8 helmets! None of the helmets fitted as good as the first one I tried on - the one i bought - which was the AGV K3. Definitely not the cheapest in the shop! But an awesome fit. I have forgotten the name of the guy in the shop, but he was super helpful, assisting me in taking the liners out of all the jackets I wanted to try on, finding helmets that would fit my head, and explaining the differences between the different helmet styles. Thanks!! Great deal and great service.

Phew! Ok hope that didn't sound like too much brown nosing but all these people really helped me a lot and I just wanted to pay tribute to the people making scootering an awesome activity to get into!

My Aprilia Scarabeo 200

More of my Aprilia Scarabeo 200

And finally here is a sound of the engine purring!

Thanks for listening!!

• 02-01-2011 09:07 AM In reply to

Re: My new Aprilia Scarabeo 200

Well done great story there Yes Personally i would keep the tyers for now and change to better tyers for winter

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-01-2011 02:40 PM In reply to

• jonners
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-13-2010
    • Perth (western 'burbs)
    • Posts 248

so cool mate. I'm very jealous!

Vespa PX 200 (black)

Piaggio Fly 150 (white)

Suzuki Vstrom (dl650) (red)
  • 02-01-2011 03:10 PM In reply to

Good job!Yes

Now you need to experience the joy of a group ride. You have already experienced it to some extent, having ridden with your wife as pillion, but riding with a group of like-minded lunatics is something extra special! Cool

I'd suggest you change your tyres. Good tyres give you confidence in your bike & in your riding. The wrong tyres will have you sliding around even in dry weather & sliding around is not fun! Well, maybe in certain circumstances...

Perth Scooter Club can be found on Facebook, or if you like send me a message with your email address & I'll add you to the mailing list. The next ride we'll be doing will be in a couple of weeks & looks to be a run out to the Swan Valley for a coffee tasting before hitting the Chocolate Factory. It's intended to be a fairly cruisy run, sticking to 60-70kmph roads.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-01-2011 04:03 PM In reply to

One concern I have I guess is the tyres - the Cheng Shin ones that come by default. I want to upgrade to Pirelli ST 66 front and back as I have read what people here have written about them. I just wonder when? Should I just do it now? Or wait till the Cheng Shins are end of life? I am not sure if I am that brave. My head says buy and fit the Pirellis now.

Based on my personal experience I'd replace them ASAP, the Pirelli's only cost me  $250 fitted, well worth the investment.

Slow Down & Enjoy The Ride
    2012 Kawasaki W800
    Go the Retro
    Looking for another BeeWee :)
  • 02-01-2011 06:05 PM In reply to

Something you should read, from Allen & DWD (Go the PirellisIck!) -

danceswithdingoes:

Dakoda, I had not less than 12 'incidents' in the first week I had the scarab including the 'off' which was due to a front wheel lock up (my fault) but the tyre broke traction and the scoot went down, also the cheng shing tram-tracked on the slightest crack in the road. This all went away with the new Pirellis. The Cheng Shings are not good tyres.

Allen:

Yeh I have to admit rubber plays a massive part in the way a scooter rides. I also must admit to I would like to see some better rubber on the Scarabeo as standard. The change to Pirelli would have made a massive difference to ride quality and confidence.

Wanda
    Today 50 (2,500km), Montego. Fly (2,500km), Le Grande (7,000km), Vespa PX (200km), Vespa GTS250ie (46,000km), now looking at the world through Ruby coloured glasses on a Vespa GTV300ie Vie Della Moda.
  • 02-01-2011 06:27 PM In reply to

congrats on the new scooter. changing tyres will help the handling. the michelin pilots are a good tyre too. a bit sensitive to tyre pressure though. pirelli gts23/24 are a touring tyre so will last a long time.

argentum melle
  • 02-01-2011 06:38 PM In reply to

Looking good amigo!  Look forward to seeing you on it.  And thanks for your kind words too! 

Ace Scooters - practitioners to the scooter addicted.

www.acescooters.com.au
  • 02-01-2011 08:46 PM In reply to

Congratulations!

Have fun riding it.  Cool

Mack Truck
  • 02-02-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

Yes we definitely want to join a group ride!! We wanted to ride our own bikes though - and my wife only has a 50cc. Do you think she'll keep up on the next ride? Are there many other people that come along with 50cc bikes?

Definitely have my concerns about my tyres. Was doing about 100 (or probably just a bit less actually) on Roe Highway yesterday and I could have sworn I felt the front wheel literally come off the ground during some wind buffetting!

• 02-02-2011 04:56 PM In reply to

I'd like to chime in to say that I'm really enjoying my 2 weeks old silver Scarabeo 200. Like solopaulo, it was between the Daelim S1 and the Beo. In the end, I'm really happy with it (except that I'm worried about the chinese tyres). This scoot has grunt and is narrow enough to filter. The suspension feels a tad hard at times (on Canterbury Road), but I reckon it might settle down a bit more after more KMs.

Mine also came with a free topbox but I paid a bit more to upgrade to a bigger box (35L). Open the image below in a new tab/window for full size:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5554/2ndfeb2011350.jpg

• 02-02-2011 06:46 PM In reply to

Si ‘Thi’ later
  • 02-03-2011 03:44 PM In reply to

solopaulo:

Yes we definitely want to join a group ride!! We wanted to ride our own bikes though - and my wife only has a 50cc. Do you think she'll keep up on the next ride? Are there many other people that come along with 50cc bikes?

While we will be on a 70kmph road it will only be a very short jaunt. Most of the roads along the planned route are 60kmph & dual lane so I would say yes a 50cc would be fine. Of course it depends on your wife's comfort zone. We usually have a larger scoot at the back to hold off any cagers, although as a rule we try to ride in a style & along suitable routes so as to not incite aggro on the road. it's all about the fun after all!

Wanda
  • 02-03-2011 06:54 PM In reply to

• ansur
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-25-2010
    • Jannali, Sydney
    • Posts 114

I love the look of that bike. If only I had extra cash....If only.....if only. I think when I get to upgrade it will be a difficult choice between Scarabeo or a Vespa. Sadly I have a long wait in front of me.

Enjoy your ride.

Piaggio Fly 150, Traded at 6000km's to Red GTS 250 20 000km's
    Full license 10/11/11.
  • 02-03-2011 08:53 PM In reply to

Congratulations on the purchase and the enjoyment it is giving you. Only time will tell you if things will continue to please you. There is nothing like the experience of living with something over a period of time. Make out a report card for us to read after say 6-7K and we can compare notes - I'll wait to give you mine at that the same time (as I have already lived with a 200ie for that number of kms). Happy riding. 

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

ADVERTISEMENT

©2007 ScooterSales.com.au